Best rates available ?

sundown57

Legendary member
Trying to get better at real flight sims. I keep trying different rates and expo but can't seem to nail it down. What rates and expo would work well for someone not that good at it yet? I'm using a flysky I6X so I think they are backward from most others. default is rate 100 and expo 0. thanks

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use FlySky iA6 2A as my radio for flight instruction! It is a different model I know but the settings I use may be helpful.

For dual rate I use 100% and 80% as a start though I try to teach my students to be gentle on the controls and fly as much as possible on full rate!
The Expo I use is -30 for low rate and -40 for high rate. Yes on my radio the correct expo is a negative setting!

What I use!

sundown57

Legendary member
i just cant seem to control the plane at all at 100%. so far this is the best combination ive found

rate/expo
1 25,75
2 35,100
4 40,75

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I'm still going search for the best setup too... I've recently found 50% rates and 40% expo works well on my Timber X but 75% rates seems to work better for most average planes.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Is 2 the elevator channel? Are you sure that those numbers listed are rate/expo, or is it supposed to be expo/rate? If what you posted is correct, i can smell your problem like a fart in a car lol
I'm assuming he has them reverse in the post, otherwise I'm with you :D

sundown57

Legendary member
no it's right, that's rate and expo. like I say the fkysky is backward. default is 100% rate and 0 expo.
so 25/75 is like the same as 75/25 on a different transmitter,.

and yes channel 1 aileron, 2 is elevator, 4 is rudder.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
no it's right, that's rate and expo. like I say the fkysky is backward. default is 100% rate and 0 expo.
sp 25/75 is like the same as 75/25 on a different transmitter,.
Ok sorry i would say, as per my set up, High rates default at 100% and 0% expo. I then dial in the low rates at 60% of high rate. Expo is 0 across the board at default. Then i average 30% expo for everything on the maiden. So if i was to tell you what my rates are i would say rate/expo would be 60/30. Is that what you are trying to tell me or are you just trolling me?

sundown57

Legendary member
no that's about were mine is at 75/25. but like I say look up flysky. everything is backward. and to make it worse some flysky use - on the expo mine is +

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
no that's about were mine is at 75/25. but like I say look up flysky. everything is backward. and to make it worse some flysky use - on the expo mine is +
Now that would make sense, not 25/75 right? Either way if channel 2 is elevator, that's the first one I would dial back the rate to 60, you are currently at 100. The elevator i would say is the most efficient control surface, there is next to no drag given the position of leverage it imposes on the wing, next would be the ailerons. but the ailerons have the drag of the wing chord to fight against, essentially giving you aerodynamically imposed expo. I find that I need the expo on my elevator on low rates to be at 30% or more, high rates could be as much as 50% depending on the model. I find it way to touchy compared to the other control surfaces. And considering you like to fly slow stuff you tend to fly at just above stall speed lol. Either put more pedal to it or dial back your elevator some

danskis

Master member
Good conversation - I was going to start a rate/expo thread but then I forgot to do it. My flysky is definitely minus numbers for expo. So my typical maiden expo for a plane is minus 30 if Josh says set the expo for 30%. Also, it depends on the plane what the rate is. I can't fly anything at 100% rate. Sometimes I go down as low as 50% or 40% which is what I was flying my Baron ailerons at today. It still spins really quick at 40%. I think this is a very personal adjustment and you have to find out what works for you. At one point I made it a goal to be able to fly at 100% rate but I've given up on that and don't think it will ever happen. There are guys at the field that fly no expo and 100% rate all the time no matter what and others that fly 70% expo all the time. Both good pilots. Does this help you figure out where to start - probably not but I've learned that you need to pay attention to the suggested expo on the plans and use the elevon guides and throw (rate) suggestions.

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
I agree with the elevator part. That seems to be my biggest problem. It's always porpoising up and down uncontrollably. If I hit the throttle it climbs hard and if I don't I get my tail cut. Ailerons are second. I tend to overcorrect a lot and end up doing a roll every time I just want to bank and turn. so that's why I turn the rates way down on the ailerons and up the rudder.

danskis

Master member
Well I just read the FlySky user manual and it says nothing about expo being negative or positive. I'd like to know where you found someone saying that FlySky uses positive numbers for expo. That may be your problem if your using positive numbers. My FS-I6 definitely uses negative numbers for expo. Give that a try and see what happens. On the sim it won't matter - that's why you use the sim. Start with minus 30 for the expo on everything

sundown57

Legendary member
I changed the setting just to make the picture easier to see, but you all tell me . what one looks right ?

Attachments

• IMG_4915.JPG
    IMG_4915.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4916.JPG
    IMG_4916.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
these are the settings iI found works best so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4917.JPG
    IMG_4917.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4918.JPG
    IMG_4918.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
Okay its early and I've gotta go look at mine. Pulled my transmitter out and you're right - you're positive expo looks like my negative expo (glad they changed it cause that seems more intuitive). The only one that seems fairly off is channel 2 in the above post with 100% expo. I wonder if its the model in the sim? (Sorry I've never used a sim - I only crash real planes).

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I use Flysky and I think the issue here is the high expo... Don't have my Tx with me atm but like danski said, just use negative numbers for expo and you should be good. I'd say at the end of the day just use what works for you.

Edit: just realized this was a sim issue :LOL:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What plane are you trying to fly?
Even on a sim you need to start with a trainer, not a 3D nor a warbird.

sundown57

Legendary member
Streamer cuts only offer 4 planes, warbird, biplane, jet, and foamy. warbirds and biplanes are way underpowered. jets don't respond for crap. so foamy is really the only good plane available, but yes setting in the sim are much different than real world