Best Scratch Build Possible for Windy Days?

Mach_3

Ever been frustrated because you're at the field and don't have a plane that can handle the wind? This thread is for anyone that wants to share their opinions on designs that can get you flying in the wind.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Our club has a large number of enlarged versions, (800mm), of the KFM4 Tiny Wing, (600mm), found here in the forums. Our version uses the FunFighter motors on 3S 1300mA batteries.

In a high wind it dances and wriggles all across the sky but never has any serious problems in combating the wind from any direction.

With a power off glide angle of around 45 degrees it does not float away if the power is lost. It cannot Stall unless the Cg is massively incorrect.

Yesterday our time a new pilot learning his wing had a "Loss of Signal" and crashed, (nose first, followed by a high revolution cartwheel), at high speed. (we land on a sports field). After the walk of shame he picked up the wing, wiped off the grass and mud, inspected for damage, (there was none. Not even a scratch in the paint), relocated the Rx antennas, and relaunched without further adjustment.

Built properly they are so strong and light that everyone at the club wants one and soon we will be starting our own, "Full Contact" combat league. On the windiest days often the only planes flying are our KFM wings!

Just what works here!

Have fun!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Our club has a large number of enlarged versions, (800mm), of the KFM4 Tiny Wing, (600mm), found here in the forums. Our version uses the FunFighter motors on 3S 1300mA batteries.

@Hai-Lee - Do you have a link to the thread for the KFM4 Tiny Wing? Couldn't find it with the search function.

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This was the base article and plans though I did scale it up to 800mm to carry a little more weight, (and speed).

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/tinywing

Current numbers at our club are 6 and increasing, (I also have to build my son one now).

Instead of the printed motor mount I just use a piece of ply and a couple of FB triangles to support the top of the motor mount.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you want the exact dimensions and a few simple weight saving and build ideas just let me know and I will provide what I have.

Perhaps even a few build Pics of the one I am about start building for the son!

Have fun!

Addendum: On the 800mm version there is no wing spar just a quantity of white glue to laminate the layers of 5mm FB together.
We have also discovered that the area of the winglets on the wing tips can be reduced considerably without adversely effecting the flight performance.

We also use a length of 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch wood as a keel under the nose so that ground impacts are no worry and it also doubles as a beam to mount the bungee launcher hook for rapid fire launches!

Ours are all painted in various colour schemes. Each wing does have cheap cloth tape covering the LE and a line of clear packing tape protecting the uncut side of the FB at the elevon hinge lines, (to keep the water out). The hinges are cut into the top of the sheet leaving the wing underside almost a totally flat surface, (except for the keel and the winglets).

At the nose of the wing each one has 2 slots cut through the wing to allow for the fitting of a pair of velcro straps to be fitted to hold the flight battery in position. One member has fitted LED strips from HK to the LEs and the winglet trailing edges for flying at dawn and dusk when the light is very poor.

Just a few of the changes we made to make it cheaper and stronger!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Have to agree with Hai-Lee a wing handles wind better then any plane I have flown, around here it`s our go to planes for high wind and plan as- fun specially with FPV. Most of us use the Blunt Nose Versa.

Andrew

G'day Mate
My favourite plane to fly in strong wind is a small profile Eurofighter Typhoon (scratch built), I just love flying it "backwards" the whole length of the field in strong wind. To answer the question which is the best.... ANYTHING your not scared to crash!!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just an update!

12 copies of the wing I referred to in use at our club now and 3 more ordered! Last weekend one of the KFM wings flew dogfight with a FT arrow, (Made with the US FB), and the 2 flew almost exactly the same though the arrow was slightly faster in level flight but did not dive as fast.

Needless to say neither of them could get close enough for a hit except for a few close headons.

Have fun!