Best source for thinner ply woods?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm just getting in and I'm looking fwd to the day I can start experimenting with my own designs but when I look at materials, plywood shoots up in price below 1/8".

Does anyone have a really good source for good quality plys that will be laser cuttable and won't break the bank?

thanx

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The quantities of plywood used in FT models is quite minimal and as such the thickness has a minimal impact upon the overall weight.

Having said that I use quite a lot of plywood around 3mm thickness and in various grades.

I find that there is quite a lot of usable Ply abandoned or dumped in landfill every day. This includes packing crates and even demolition materials.

For items such as control horns I find that old square PVC ducting does a good job and a single Offcut from a building site can supply many months worth of material.

Nowadays dumping rubbish is an expensive business and the charges are by weight so with a little courage you will soon find that where the choice is between dumping material and paying for it or letting you have it free of charge the choice is a simple business decision and you could have more plywood than you could ever use.

My last ply "Acquisition" was about a year ago and I have enough good quality and virgin stock to last me another 2 years at my current rate of consumption,.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Think i remember Nerdnic buying office garbage cans and using the plastic as firewalls.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
The quantities of plywood used in FT models is quite minimal and as such the thickness has a minimal impact upon the overall weight.
I'm not so worried about weight as much as there are just things that are better when thinner. I'll use 1/8 when I can as I have a life time supply of scrap from other projects.

Tench745

Master member
If you find yourself needing lots (I mean LOTS) of good thin plywood for something, Aircraft Spruce have good prices per square foot compared to hobby plywoods. a 1' square piece of 1/8" hobby ply costs about $5. A 1'x4' piece of 1/8" domestic birch aircraft ply is about $13, or $3.25/sqft. The savings on 3/32 and 1/16" are better. I only know this because I now have a lifetime supply of 1/16" scraps from my Jr Ace wing ribs. Speaking of which, would anyone be interested in some scraps?