Best type of plane For flying in windy conditions?

Hey Everyone. I was curious as to what air frame is best for flying in wind conditions (15mph and up). What type of electric rc plane would you guys recommend? Is there any particular type of plane that seems to do great in windy conditions (ex. flying wing, aerobatic plane, glider, speed plane)? Thanks.

sconner

I'm fairly new to the RC business but out of my 5 planes the best planes in the wind, are also the fastest and/or biggest. The less wing and body area the better so it doesn't act like a kite. Also the heavier it is the better. You have to find a balance between size and weight with enough motor to pull you through the headwind to get back home.

For instance, on a windy day my two go-to favorites are my Bixler 2 (it's heavy and very stable with a fairly hot motor) or the Spitfire. I just carry more speed with the Spitfire than on a calm day. My worst plane for the wind is the Old Fogey. It's super light, large wing and body surface and small motor. It makes flying it next to impossible in the wind. Calm days, it's super slow and easy to fly.

I also just maidened my FT3D in the wind, although it managed it well, it's not a beginner plane.

HawkMan

hotliner motor gliders handle wind exceptionally. even small super light 800mm'ers can fly in fairly strong wind.

SkyEye

I second that hawkman. Mostly all foam planes however will get affected by the wind. (About to maiden Parkzone T-28, hope its for windy southern AZ weather).

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread as I came here to find an answer to the exact same question.
I live in Hawaii and there is no such thing as "calm" here with the tradewinds.
When I taught myself how to fly, I had to throw down the money to lean on a sim and then do the trial by fire thing with a Delta Ray.

I'm curious about the
Bixler-type airframe with an upgraded motor.

Something like the Bixler 2, as mentioned by Sconner?
Or is there a slightly different model that you think would be better?
What type of motor would you suggest putting on it?
Also, how much battery can your preferred Bixler-type plane handle (I like to have a plane with a little endurance)?
Any room for a GoPro or FPV setup?

The Bixler 2 was my first plane. I got a fairly hot motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12919__D2826_6_2200kv_Outrunner_Motor.html but it's really nice as it has plenty of power to pull me out of trouble if I need it. But you can cruise around at half throttle or so. I've clocked over 30min flights with it using a 3S 2200 so it has plenty of FPV/GoPro capabilities. Good luck Mike!

Thanks, Sconner. Your suggestion sounds like an excellent option. Since the Bixler 2 is a HK plane, and I've had a TON of problems with those guys, I went poking around on the internet to see what else is out there. I came across the Easy Star II and was reading up on its specs. It sounds more or less like the same plane. I know these designs tend to get cloned pretty fast, so I'm startimg to think that its just the same plane with a different name.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Star-II-Airplane-Kit/dp/B006MQ2BEE

earthsciteach

There are indeed multiple airplanes of the same name when it comes to the Bixler. The first I came across this specific variation of this airframe, it was the Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby. Nitroplanes has the Wing Surfer (exact same airframe) and HK has the Bixler. Currently, Readymade RC is selling the same airframe with all electronics except the rx and batt for a fair price (better than the amazon price). http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=112_409_630&products_id=3750 The multiplex kit doesn't include electronics, as far as I can tell.

Currently, Readymade RC is selling the same airframe with all electronics except the rx and batt for a fair price (better than the amazon price). http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=112_409_630&products_id=3750 The multiplex kit doesn't include electronics, as far as I can tell.

The plane itself seems great, and I like that I don't have to buy anything i don't need with it.
Unfortunately it will cost $42 just to ship it (and that's the slowest, cheapest option).
When I check the USPS site and get a price quote, it says that it really only costs $6 to ship.
What's up with this? Is this a new nickel and dime tactic?
I guess I'll go ahead and add ReadyMade RC to my list of shops to not do business with.

Last edited:

Jon L

Probably best to just order one through a local hobby shop. Up here in Alaska shipping bigger items is a problem also but the popular planes are available at the hobby shop in Anchorage. Usually at the advertised list price.

The quote from USPS was based on weight and dimensions, and took into consideration the irregular box being flown to Hawaii via USPS First Class. Someone is making money off of bogus shipping charges.

Any other suggestions of excellent high-wind, high-endurance planes that can be outfitted with FPV?
I keep hearing good things about the Formosa and SuperFly, but I don't know anything about them.

I have a 433MHz LRS that I've been wanting to try out. Will take the HAM Tech test next week. Am hoping to use that for FPV.

Last edited:
Phoenix 2000

Hey, I would reccomend the phoenix 2000 from hobbyking for wind as well. It is a powered glider that is pretty heavy but can still thermal okay. It also does decently in the wind too. Its 5 channel. It has a folding prop in front so its probably not the best for FPV but you could still do it. here is the link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13994__Phoenix_2000_EPO_Composite_R_C_Glider_PNF_.html

The reason why I started this thread was to see what other types of planes do well in the wind other than the phoenix 2000.

I have a skymule, a Multiplex easystar 2, a 900 mm popwing, a HK skipper, HK Atom, HK mini swift. Of all these i truly feel the wing handles the wind best. It is like the wind does not matter now that i have a mobius on it. It just cuts through the wind and has plenty of power. The skymule handles the wind well also. But its no fun landing in windy conditions. It always breaks the skis if its a hard landing. Also i bent the front landing gear. We have gusty winds here near the coast so it can easely flip a plane. When i maidened the skymule it got flipped on takeoff and did nose dive when i just started climbing up. I thought "to bad i didnt bring a sack and a showel". NOT one scratch on the mule. Even the propps where ok. So mule handles wind well twin engine and all except for landings then i think its a bit too risky in windy conditions. But with the wing i dont hesitate. I think the skipper handles the wind fairly well also. But i think the wing really cuts through the wind where as i feel the skipper does not make progress in headwind. Possibly it is because i have a 5.8 Ghz cloverleaf directly behind the cockpit so the small propp is possibly always in turbulence because of that. Im wondering where i should mount it instead (if that is the cause of this sluggishness... never felt that with the wing). Can also add i just maidened the skipper with FPV today and thats when i felt it stood still in the air. Even tho it was not particulary windy it did feel like it rushed forward when the wind was blowing from behind and standing still when it blowing from the front. The popwing with mobius and all makes much better progress even tho the mobius is mounted directly infront of the prop. It has a large prop tho and half of it is below the wing so i guess that helps.

Carolus Rex - Enjoying FPV every day

siezed

I have a skymule, a Multiplex easystar 2, a 900 mm popwing, a HK skipper, HK Atom, HK mini swift. Of all these i truly feel the wing handles the wind best. It is like the wind does not matter now that i have a mobius on it. It just cuts through the wind and has plenty of power. The skymule handles the wind well also. But its no fun landing in windy conditions. It always breaks the skis if its a hard landing. Also i bent the front landing gear. We have gusty winds here near the coast so it can easely flip a plane. When i maidened the skymule it got flipped on takeoff and did nose dive when i just started climbing up. I thought "to bad i didnt bring a sack and a showel". NOT one scratch on the mule. Even the propps where ok. So mule handles wind well twin engine and all except for landings then i think its a bit too risky in windy conditions. But with the wing i dont hesitate. I think the skipper handles the wind fairly well also. But i think the wing really cuts through the wind where as i feel the skipper does not make progress in headwind. Possibly it is because i have a 5.8 Ghz cloverleaf directly behind the cockpit so the small propp is possibly always in turbulence because of that. Im wondering where i should mount it instead (if that is the cause of this sluggishness... never felt that with the wing). Can also add i just maidened the skipper with FPV today and thats when i felt it stood still in the air. Even tho it was not particulary windy it did feel like it rushed forward when the wind was blowing from behind and standing still when it blowing from the front. The popwing with mobius and all makes much better progress even tho the mobius is mounted directly infront of the prop. It has a large prop tho and half of it is below the wing so i guess that helps.

Carolus Rex - Enjoying FPV every day

Hey I just thought I'd stop in say I remember reading your post a little while back which prompted me to make a versa wing, unfortunately it was pretty underpowered because of a cheap lipo but still handled wind pretty good, then I built the mini arrow and wow, that thing is almost _more fun_ in wind than when its calm! It's amazing how it just cuts through so well, I can't really slow it down and I do have it a bit overpowered with an 2208 2600kv and 4.75x4.75 APC prop, but man it's a blast. I think the single most important thing is having enough power to keep up ground speed, especially as a strong beginner or intermediate flyer, because when you're underpowered you can't fight the wind and it's hard to judge how fast you'll turn if you don't now your IAS, but with plenty of ground speed its easier to judge.

Anyways, my vote goes to flying wings in the wind too, I live on the coast of new England and also near mountains, the combination means little calm days, and the arrow is the best wind handling plane I've flown so far.