Best Value Action Cam

Chuppster

I'm looking for an inexpensive action cam that I can stick to my airplanes and take video. I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been with other cameras on the market. As a member of the PCMR I need 60fps or everything looks choppy to me. I can happily do without 4k but 1920x1080 is a must. I'd like it to be smaller than a GoPro, but if it's in the classic GoPro form factor that's fine. The $30-$60 price point would be nice.

Does anyone have experience with cameras to avoid/recommend?

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
The original Xiaomi Yi is probably the best in your price range, tho it might be a tad over $60. It can shoot HD @ 60 FPS and it has up to 2K video resolution. It has video output that you can run to your VTX and use for fpv without having to have 2 cameras. I had 5 of these at one point and after countless crashes only managed to break one by crashing into rocks. Was able to repair with new lens for only $15.

Afterthought: Was just thinking, for airplanes you should also take a look at the runcams with DVR. Their footage is getting better, size and weight is less and you would probably have better mounting options.

Last edited:

DMC RC

DMC RC
Ill second @Userofmuchtape&glue on that one! I have one and I love it to death. it's light and has a great form-factor, not to mention the price for video quality. The 60fps option when taking at 1080p is great as well.
Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 7.56.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 7.56.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 7.57.14 PM.png

DharanFlyer

I just grabbed one of these at Aldi for $50. Super impressed with the amount of accessories and other people have been giving positive reviews.

Liam B

haha It's my cousin's Hobbyzone Super Cub S, the slightly newer model of the LP, his has the SAFE system... other than that they are the same. he broke his cowl and hasn't got a new one yet so that's why the motor is hanging off the front. :p

The cowls were the downfalls of those planes. Always breaking!

DMC RC

DMC RC
The cowls were the downfalls of those planes. Always breaking!
Foam cowls work better, much more durable, but slightly harder to replace. my UM sport cub's nose is SOOO beat but but the thing keeps on going. need to replace that thing's motor though.