Best way to learn turning?

For me bank & yank was intuitive, so I never got around to getting comfortable with rudder. That's bad. :(
On the other hand - whatever helps keep your plane in one piece...

L Edge

Master member
2 ways to look at it. If you are happy just flying around, go for it as is.

If you want to do acrobatics in the future and really fly in windy conditions, start learning to use rudder. First, feel comfortable flying the plane so you can put it where you want it to go. To add rudder, go up three crash heights to start practicing using rudder.

In simple fact, if you add flying upside down, can do a knife edge and a good slow roll(using the rudder when needed), you can do anything including 3D. Another thought is if you want to fly a bipe, rudder makes it so easy.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
+1 on bank & yank
I’ve been flying for 25+ years & don’t use the rudder to turn. My rudder is only used for knife edge & cross wind landing.

Flyingshark

Master member
Is it better to start with Bank and Yank, or start building a strong foundation for coordinated turns?
My first successful flights were on a 3 channel plane. (Rudder Elevator Throttle) I noticed it was much easier to overcontrol the plane and stall when flying bank and yank though, which caused the demise of my first FT LongEz.

I agree with the recommendation to start using 3 channels and learn coordinated turns later, but I think rudder is the way to go. (Like the Tiny Trainer with the polyhedral wing!)

I did that and I turned out all right. :)