Best way to make a bubble canopy?

TestMaster

I've been trying a couple methods to find the nicest possible bubble canopy on my spit, but I just can't find the right results. I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to make a simple but aesthetically pleasing bubble canopy on a plane.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm interested in this as well. I need to replace the canopy on an old Carl Goldberg Sky Tiger that was gifted to me in bad repair. Following!

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
A couple of options going forward might be like the P-51 canopy. It would also be interesting to see BF-109 style or modern F-16 style canopies as well.

William A

Billy did it....
I've been known to buy plastic bottles/jars just for their shape.

Dump the contents out, some careful cutting, bingo bango,,,,, canopy.

dayve

I guess that depends on your version of "easy". If you're the DIY type, there are various methods for vacuforming. Google and YouTube will help you out if you want more details. I haven't done it myself, but it seems like a good fit for the application.

One example:

UltraEcho

You might try looking at all the plastic containers and bottles you throw away (or recycle) You might find a shape in a portion of the container that looks like a canopy.

mjmccarron

A method I've used is to cut the ends off a 2L soda bottle leaving a cylinder. Carve a canopy out of balsa or pine and sand it smooth. Mount the form to a scrap of 2 x 4 and make a couple of wedges out of 2 x 4. Place the mold inside the 2L shell and use the wedges to stretch it snug. You may need to shim it to maintain tension. (door shims work good) Use your heat gun (covering gun, hair dryer won't work) and heat the plastic around the mold. Keep adjusting the wedges and with a little practice, you will have a nice molded canopy. Clear ones are great or green 7UP bottles for a tinted look.

Mike

Last edited: