Best way to transfer plans.

Mhesche

Heyo, I’m away from my building area (sadly) and I was was wondering the best way to transfer plans onto foam board. I’ve seen the whole idea of using glue spray to put it on posterboard and go from there, but I have a couple questions.

1. Which glue is best?
2.How do you transfer scorecuts,Bevels, etc.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Most any kind of glue will work. Use the kind that is easiest & cheapest for you, spray glue is great. I glue my plan to foam board, then cut it out and use this as a template to make my plane. I push a pin through to mark the folds & cuts.

Michael9865

Elite member
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy
1. Super77 spray glue works great.
2. I use a pin and ruler method. At the score and bevel locations I push the pin through just the top layer of paper on the foam board and then after cutting out the part I use a ruler/yardstick to connect the dots and then perform the score cut and bevel.

bracesport

Legendary member
I’m pretty old school and just mark up the FB with measurements and pen lines - works for me.

89FC3AE6-C4CB-4B10-92EF-63228734A736.jpeg

FastCrash45

Elite member
As long as my dystonia is calm I cut the plans out and just carefully trace them into the foam marking all the razor cuts and bends as I go with a light penvil

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
2. I use a pin and ruler method. At the score and bevel locations I push the pin through just the top layer of paper on the foam board and then
after cutting out the part I use a ruler/yardstick to connect the dots and then perform the score cut and bevel.[/QUOTE]

That's how I do it too.

Mhesche

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy
1. Super77 spray glue works great.
2. I use a pin and ruler method. At the score and bevel locations I push the pin through just the top layer of paper on the foam board and then after cutting out the part I use a ruler/yardstick to connect the dots and then perform the score cut and bevel.
So you glue the plans right on the foam board then?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i don't like the idea of glueing the plans to the FB. all that does is increase weight, the enemy of rc airplanes.

i personally trim and tile the plans, then cut out the individual pieces, then tape them to the foam board. once taped you can cut everything out starting with score cuts and reliefs, then cut the edges and the paper plan peels right off.

i know we all have our ways, this is just the way i do it...

me :cool:

tamuct01

A light coat of spray glue will usually allow you to peel the cut plans off the foamboard so you're not adding extra weight. I've done both the taping and spray glue method and both work well. I treat the printed plans as sacrificial.

slipshift

I use Elmer's multi purpose spray adhesive I get from Walmart. Spray the back of the plans, let it sit for one minute and apply to the FB, right on the paper surface. It holds fine for making the cuts and easily peels off afterwards, leaving the FB paper intact. I don't worry about making templates since I can easily print out more plans.

Jim

messyhead

I'm doing this just now actually. I'm sticking the plans to poster board with spray adhesive, then cutting them out. Once cut, I make holes at places along each line, then when they're on the FB, I use a pencil to trace round, and mark though the holes, then use a ruler to draw the lines. The templates are then used as reference to know what each line is for when I'm doing the build

BorisTheSpider

Never tried gluing (temporarily or permanently) to foamboard myself. I did make some templates that way with poster board, and that works fine. Lately, though, I've been doing way too many steps. The thing is, I get really good results so I do it this way. I print the plans, cut into smaller parts (sometimes individual parts). Then I use tape to hold those down* and trace with pin pricks. I have a system where I mark the corners of parts and once or twice along straight cuts, intricately trace curves with lots of pricks, and use a double-prick (only piercing the first layer of paper) to mark bevels and scores. And then I wiggle the pin a little for BBQ skewer holes. Next, I remove the plans and trace everything with pencil and rulers. Finally, I make all my cuts and do any sanding I need to do to make it tidy. It's tedious but I like my results.

*Tape on the outside works in most situations, but you can also punch holes in the middle of parts and cover that hole with tape. It helps keep the plans stuck down and in-place, especially when there are hindrances to just taping on the outside edge.

BorisTheSpider

That's exactly how I do it, @BorisTheSpider. After trying other methods, it's the one I'll stick with. Only difference is I leave the plans as whole sheets instead of cutting them down.
Yeah, I do leave them whole sometimes. Other times, though, I like to rearrange things a little to either fit more on the foamboard or to take advantage of a nice straight edge I don't have to cut. Also, some planes have options for wings with other parts on the same sheet -- for instance, I don't want the trainer wing for a TT but I need the fuselage doublers to use with the sport wing so I'll cut those off. Plus, I can still reuse the plans most times and having smaller sections makes storage much easier.

Namactual

Elite member
Most of my plans are prototypes so I just print them out, cut the excess paper off of the prints and tape them to the foam board. I then cut right through the paper. There is a lot of wasted paper this way, but there is no point in keeping prints that will change on the next build most of the time.

I would love to use spray adhesive, but I do not have access to an area suitable to spray.

I usually go through an entire roll of cheap invisible tape every two builds. The dollar store stuff so that is about 50 cents a build.

jross

having smaller sections makes storage much easier.
Storing full sized plans is a pain in the butt for sure and your example of the Tiny Trainer layout is a good one in terms of parts you don't need. Rolling them up is terrible when you go to use them and leaving them flat in a pile takes a lot of space.