BetaFPV Advanced kit antenna upgrade help!

20mmrain

Hello,

I am new to FPV whoops flying and new to the forum.
I recently bought a BetaFPV advanced kit and I love it for the most part. However the signal on the Meteor75 lite drone and the signal on the VR01 goggles could be improved.

I'm hoping the more experienced people of this forum can help me find upgrades for both.

The VTX on the drone is this one...
https://betafpv.com/collections/camera-vtx/products/m01-aio-camera-5-8g-vtx

And here is the link for the goggles....
https://betafpv.com/collections/goggle-1/products/betafpv-vr01-fpv-goggles

Also please note... I do not have soldering equipment. (Even though I plan to buy one day) but if you could link a plug and play option for the drone it would be very helpful.

Thank you all in advance!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Tell us what the issue is or better yet post a you tube video if you can. are you having issues with range? clarity? signal loss? that is only a 25mw vtx using a dipole set up so its not going to penetrate walls or have a range much past small yard out side IF there are no obstructions.

edit ahh more info as I was typing... yes you can change the antenna to help it. but that depends on what you are flying if it can support the added weight. CP antenna upgrade would do good but if its just an indoor whoop is it realy worthy it

20mmrain

I can try to upload a video soon but I am unable to at the moment.

My issue is not only signal loss when the drone moves in certain directions but also range.

If I can make those a bit better.. (nothing crazy) it would be very helpful.

Right now I can go about 25 to 30 yards in front of me or to the side and the signal starts to drop. Less if I'm traveling behind me.

Hope this helps.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Antenna placement looks like it may be an issue.. These are not really high tilt quads so that dipole straight out the back is a fail on Betafpv's part. Try leaning your goggle antennas at 45 degree angles to each side. Then try one straight up and one side ways like the quads. one of those should help you a little bit. Also make sure you are matching frequencies properly and not just using auto search and picking the first hit as many frequencies over lap but are not a spot on match.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I can try to upload a video soon but I am unable to at the moment.

My issue is not only signal loss when the drone moves in certain directions but also range.

If I can make those a bit better.. (nothing crazy) it would be very helpful.

Right now I can go about 25 to 30 yards in front of me or to the side and the signal starts to drop. Less if I'm traveling behind me.

Hope this helps.
yeah Thats about all that can be expected with an FCC regulated 25 mw vtx.. its radiated power is close to 3-5 mw and with a quarter wave dipole that gimps it even more.

20mmrain

Alright thanks I'll give that a shot.

After buying the drone I have read that signal loss is the biggest gripe about this kit.

Will upgrading antennas at least increase the clarity within that range?

20mmrain

An additional add... If increasing clarity of the single in that range is not possible by upgrading the antennas.. I guess Ill just enjoy the drone as is and save my pennies to get a better drone.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Alright thanks I'll give that a shot.

After buying the drone I have read that signal loss is the biggest gripe about this kit.

Will upgrading antennas at least increase the clarity within that range?

yes but at a huge sacrifice to performance of the quad due to added weight of a cp antenna. upgrading the VTXto something like a VTX 03 and flying 50 - 100mw would greatly improve performance but again weight and added battery drain for higher power vtx will shorten flight times a bit.

20mmrain

What's a bit (in comparison to 4 to 5 minutes I'm getting now) and guesstimate would be fine.

And (I'm assuming yes) but I would I still be able to use the 1s battery's?

Either way you answer it sounds like I'm just going to get a new drone sometime in the near future ....but still just good to know

Oh and one more question... Would upgrading the antenna to a lollipop antenna on the goggles help at all in the mean time instead of upgrading the VTX?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Upgrading to a CP antenna is a must down the road as you grow. Stock dipoles are weak and can cause issues in poorly made systems. I do still use the stock dipoles when I fly. I use a long range Axii on my goggles with a stock dipole on the diversity channel. It tends to fill in at times where the CP doesnt quite work so well. I dont fly long range as I am broken and wont fly any further then I am willing to walk to pick up the quad which is about a football field size area.

I have accumulated six quads over my now starting 6th year flying them. They range form an OG FT Gremlin flying 50 mw vtx with dipole to 150 mph screamer using 200 mw with circular polarized antenna. Each build serves a different purpose and is set up to work best for that purpose. You will evolve to that point as well if you actually learn the hobby and not chase the hype and product placement.

Bottom line dont get over excited and try to do everything at once. slow down and ease into it making sure your flying abilities progresses faster then your gear. you can do the same stuff on a 2 or 3 inch build as the pros can with a super high performance 5 inch build if you learn what you are doing.

TJ_Williams

Hello,

I am new to FPV whoops flying and new to the forum.
I recently bought a BetaFPV advanced kit and I love it for the most part. However the signal on the Meteor75 lite drone and the signal on the VR01 goggles could be improved.

I'm hoping the more experienced people of this forum can help me find upgrades for both.

The VTX on the drone is this one...
https://betafpv.com/collections/camera-vtx/products/m01-aio-camera-5-8g-vtx

And here is the link for the goggles....
https://betafpv.com/collections/goggle-1/products/betafpv-vr01-fpv-goggles

Also please note... I do not have soldering equipment. (Even though I plan to buy one day) but if you could link a plug and play option for the drone it would be very helpful.

Thank you all in advance!
Sound like you're using the older advanced kit? The newer drone has the 25 to 200mw vtx and on 200mw it does great. Unfortunately 25mw on these tends to get broken up quite a bit. PsyBorg is dead on with his info.
Unsure if the vtx is easily upgraded in the older kit to the new A01. Maybe reach out to betafpv's support team on their site to see. That would be the single best way to get better video faster. MORE POWER :p Again, PsyBorg mentioned battery life which would decrease as well. But it wouldn't be terrible.
Everything is a tradeoff.

20mmrain

Sound like you're using the older advanced kit? The newer drone has the 25 to 200mw vtx and on 200mw it does great. Unfortunately 25mw on these tends to get broken up quite a bit. PsyBorg is dead on with his info.
Unsure if the vtx is easily upgraded in the older kit to the new A01. Maybe reach out to betafpv's support team on their site to see. That would be the single best way to get better video faster. MORE POWER :p Again, PsyBorg mentioned battery life which would decrease as well. But it wouldn't be terrible.
Everything is a tradeoff.

Is there a way to be able to tell if I have the old kit? Coming from a computer background is there a revision on the pcb or something that I can see?

I know my goggles give an option to switch between 25mw and 200mw. I have already switched them.

I'll take a look at the A01 VTX and see what it looks like. Thanks for the advice!

TJ_Williams

Is there a way to be able to tell if I have the old kit? Coming from a computer background is there a revision on the pcb or something that I can see?

I know my goggles give an option to switch between 25mw and 200mw. I have already switched them.

I'll take a look at the A01 VTX and see what it looks like. Thanks for the advice!
The original kit was a blue canopy I believe. If you can select 25 to 200mw then you should have the new version. (white)

This video I go through showing how to make sure you're on the correct channel.

20mmrain

The original kit was a blue canopy I believe. If you can select 25 to 200mw then you should have the new version. (white)

This video I go through showing how to make sure you're on the correct channel.

Ok yep that is the version I have. And I did switch to 200mw correctly so that's good 2 know. Thanks!

I gotta ask ... Is this your channel?

If it is... I gotta give you a big thanks!!! Because when I first got this drone it was not bound and I watched this exact same video to get it bound and setup everything. So anyway... Well done and great video! Kudos if it is you!

TJ_Williams

Ok yep that is the version I have. And I did switch to 200mw correctly so that's good 2 know. Thanks!

I gotta ask ... Is this your channel?

If it is... I gotta give you a big thanks!!! Because when I first got this drone it was not bound and I watched this exact same video to get it bound and setup everything. So anyway... Well done and great video! Kudos if it is you!

Awesome to hear! And yep, well it's my work's channel, but I take care of it/make the videos

Wmcewan

Awesome to hear! And yep, well it's my work's channel, but I take care of it/make the videos

TJ - I think they actually stopped making that board with the switchable VTX (which stinks).
The kit I rec’d in December (Black Friday edition) has what looks like the F4 1S AIO, which is only 25 mW. :(
Do you know of any boards out there that would fit that would be switchable to 200 mW?
Or do you think I could get away w/ adding a dedicated VTX board?