Bevel Cut / Tape Hinge

checkerboardflyer

Here are 4 pics from my blog which explain that I can't cut bevels free hand very well and what I do instead. I have a small hobby table saw that does a good job and I found some kraft tape that is just about the same color as the Flite Test foam board. Check the blog for more details: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 1-stab-cutaway-fbf.jpg
    1-stab-cutaway-fbf.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-table-saw-bevel-fbf.jpg
    2-table-saw-bevel-fbf.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-horizontal-stab-pinned-fbf.jpg
    3-horizontal-stab-pinned-fbf.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-two-pins-hinge-fbf.jpg
    4-two-pins-hinge-fbf.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Interesting idea using a hobby saw to cut bevels.
I find using a handle on a utility blade works for me. The handle gives more control, you control the depth of cut by twisting the handle. Also, while holding the blade, let the tip of you finger go under the foam, you will be able to feel the depth changes far more accurately than you can see them. Finally, glue a piece of sand paper to a straight scrap board (about 15" long) and use it to make a good bevel cut perfect.

Last edited:

checkerboardflyer

Already admitted that I am not good at free hand cutting the bevels on control surfaces. So instead I have been cutting off part of the foam board and replacing it with balsa. In this case I took a 3/16″x3/8″ balsa strip and cut a 45° bevel on the table saw. So the control surface is cut free. You no longer rely on the paper hinge. The picture attached shows ailerons on the Simple Scout. Vertical and horizontal stabilizers work the same way. Then I use brown kraft tape to attach the pieces to one another for the control surface hinge. I keep things straight and flat by assembling the units on a building board using balsa building pins. The second picture shows what the tape hinge looks like on the elevator and horizontal stab of my FT Old Speedster. More tips at: https://foamboardflyers.com/

Attachments

• 15-aileron-triangle-closeup-fbf.jpg
    15-aileron-triangle-closeup-fbf.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 0
  • elevator-repaired.jpg
    elevator-repaired.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: