Bevel cut tool?

moncureww

I was looking at this tool on Amazon for cutting bevels into my laser-cut Simple Cub with the newer FliteTest board. I absolutely butchered the bevels on my first build, all else doing okay. Anyone's thoughts? Any Amazon purchases out there where I can get a decent bevel cutting tool that would simplify the process?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0XLO8/?tag=lstir-20

FDS

Elite member
The easy way to do them is to put a steel rule along the edge you want to bevel, about 1/4” back from the edge, then run a new razor blade along the rule at an angle. Perfect straight bevels, works every time, 0 extra cost.
Practice on some scrap foamboard first.
Example cut that way-
image.jpg

kdobson83

I was looking at this tool on Amazon for cutting bevels into my laser-cut Simple Cub with the newer FliteTest board. I absolutely butchered the bevels on my first build, all else doing okay. Anyone's thoughts? Any Amazon purchases out there where I can get a decent bevel cutting tool that would simplify the process?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0XLO8/?tag=lstir-20
Have access to a 3d printer? There are quite a few different designs you can 3d print or have printed. If you live in the states I can print and ship you a couple but you'd have to pay for shipping and material. Here's an example:
Screenshot_2019-06-06-04-51-26.png

Just go to Thingiverse.com and look for bevel cutters.
Or you can use sand paper. Messy but works. I'd practice on scrap first like stated above.

joelspangler

The 3d printer tools work great for those of us that are unskilled with Bevel cutting manually. Another option is to not Bevel at all and use an alternative hinge mechanism like the tape weave hinge. https://www.flitetest.com/articles/tape-weave-hinges

I've also seen others using straws as hinges. Now that you know there are alternatives, you can probably find quite a few options searching for "hinge alternatives" here on the forums.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have found a handle for my utility blade gives me far more control. You control the depth of cut by twisting the knife. As you hold the knife, hang one finger under the FB. You will be feel the change of depth far more accurately than you can see it. I get close with the knife and then finish the bevel with a sanding block to make it perfect.

1559848950981.png

slembcke

It's also really easy to make a bevel cutter out of some scrap foam too. Just double up a pair of A folds and slice the razor into the back of it. Now push that along the edge of the foam. Tada! Perfect bevel cuts, with a tool that took 2 minutes to make.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Have access to a 3d printer? There are quite a few different designs you can 3d print or have printed. If you live in the states I can print and ship you a couple but you'd have to pay for shipping and material. Here's an example:
View attachment 132972
Just go to Thingiverse.com and look for bevel cutters.
Or you can use sand paper. Messy but works. I'd practice on scrap first like stated above.

I tried that exact bevel cutter, and I fight with getting it to cut properly, new blade or not. Many times, I get it going in too deep. Maybe I'm just not using the tool properly, I don't know...I usually just make a couple passes with a utility knife, and get it reasonably good...

kdobson83

I tried that exact bevel cutter, and I fight with getting it to cut properly, new blade or not. Many times, I get it going in too deep. Maybe I'm just not using the tool properly, I don't know...I usually just make a couple passes with a utility knife, and get it reasonably good...
Yeah, I just linked the fist one I saw as an example. He ended up contacting me and wanted a cutter. I printed two different cutters (not the one I linked) along with a slew of small extras for the price of shipping and plastic I used. I will be installing blades and testing before I ship today. The ones I printed for him are the same ones I've printed and tested for others with great success.
I personally have my 3d printer, have printed 6+ cutters for other people, but still cut bevels free handed with my xacto knife. To me, it's quick and easy, and to this day, have only messed up once, which was easily fixed with tape and hot glue.
Usually when I print I only charge a couple bucks over shipping. Enough to pay for my plastic. I try to give people the 3d printing bug like someone else did for me here on the forums. 😁

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Yeah, I just linked the fist one I saw as an example. He ended up contacting me and wanted a cutter. I printed two different cutters (not the one I linked) along with a slew of small extras for the price of shipping and plastic I used. I will be installing blades and testing before I ship today. The ones I printed for him are the same ones I've printed and tested for others with great success.
I personally have my 3d printer, have printed 6+ cutters for other people, but still cut bevels free handed with my xacto knife. To me, it's quick and easy, and to this day, have only messed up once, which was easily fixed with tape and hot glue.
Usually when I print I only charge a couple bucks over shipping. Enough to pay for my plastic. I try to give people the 3d printing bug like someone else did for me here on the forums. 😁

Oh, not badmouthing that particular cutter, necessarily - it may work GREAT for some people. I think it's more of a malfunction on my part on not knowing how to use the tool properly. :)

And yes,I know what you mean about the 3D printing bug. I've sold several people on the idea of a 3D printer. My dad and I have printed cases for TinyWhoops, control horns, firewalls, quadcopter parts (I have some antenna guides on my quad that I have broken during crashes; nobody sells the little plastic part separately from a "kit", so I have taken to printing the guides for pennies, rather than spending $30 for a replacement kit that costs me $30 and gives me parts I don't need).

Most of the Versa Wings at our combat events sport motor mounts that were 3D printed by me or one of about 3 people in the club that own a 3D printer, and they're starting to see the value of it when you can print out a bunch of parts. :)

Douglas

It's also really easy to make a bevel cutter out of some scrap foam too. Just double up a pair of A folds and slice the razor into the back of it. Now push that along the edge of the foam. Tada! Perfect bevel cuts, with a tool that took 2 minutes to make.
Could you take a picture of this. I can’t remotely picture what you’ve described.