BF109-G2 Master Series style - 46" wingspan

BF109-G2 Master Series style - 46" wingspan Version 1.1

Please log in to download

bwarz

Master member
bwarz submitted a new resource:

BF109-G2 Master Series style - 46" wingspan - An involved build with prototype lines and some nice details! Oh yea - she flies quite nicely, too!

A rather sturdy master series build with a 46" wingspan that has a nice glide path and flies quite prototypical on a 3S battery with a 1120kV motor. I've attached a PDF build notes document to get you started until I have a chance to do a second build with more pics and perhaps a video. Some aspects of the build are a bit tricky, but I hope to have covered them either in the previously mentioned doc, or in small notes throughout the plans. As designed, it can be built with or without...

Read more about this resource...

Attachments

• BF109 Build Notes.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

zenith.hjx

beautiful fuselage but a poor leading edge shape of the wing,maybe a round leading edge will prevent stall and make the roll stability better

bwarz

Master member
beautiful fuselage but a poor leading edge shape of the wing,maybe a round leading edge will prevent stall and make the roll stability better
I contemplated the tape and fold method but when I started I did it the latest FT style. I agree I'd prefer the rounded but to get everything to fit right the size needs to be a bit longer. I'd like to do something different with the VSTAB as well. Maybe even a square tip wing option as well 😆 But first I'll need to see that the rest of the plan works as laid out and I remembered to update all of the parts as I went! Thanks for checking it out and the suggestions!

Michael9865

Elite member

One can always add half a balsa dowel or half a wood dowel to create a better leading edge if one wished. Even using an iron to round the leading edge if you preferred.

I contemplated the tape and fold method but when I started I did it the latest FT style. I agree I'd prefer the rounded but to get everything to fit right the size needs to be a bit longer. I'd like to do something different with the VSTAB as well. Maybe even a square tip wing option as well 😆 But first I'll need to see that the rest of the plan works as laid out and I remembered to update all of the parts as I went! Thanks for checking it out and the suggestions!

Looks great thank you for sharing.

bwarz

Master member
One can always add half a balsa dowel or half a wood dowel to create a better leading edge if one wished. Even using an iron to round the leading edge if you preferred.

Looks great thank you for sharing.
I saw someone do that somewhere online. maybe I'll give it a try next one. I'm thinking I'll probably be making at least 2 more of this one before I start something new. I'd love to hear how others do building it...I hope the attached instructions help!

bwarz

Master member
I think I didn't have it in the instructions but I figured I'd add it here too... when I build the wings now, I add "tubes" made from stiff paper or thin card stock to give me a clear path for the wires to the aileron servos...

See pic here:
20210410_113146.jpg

on this build you can see the lengths easily... I didn't add them to the plans at all. There's an angle cut on the center side to allow to easily drop the wire into the hole and let gravity to its job. I used a longer extension attached to the correct length of extension, drop the extension down through, attach the servo, and then pull the wire back. This is the view once the wings are attached...
20210410_202159.jpg

zenith.hjx

I think I didn't have it in the instructions but I figured I'd add it here too... when I build the wings now, I add "tubes" made from stiff paper or thin card stock to give me a clear path for the wires to the aileron servos...

See pic here: View attachment 199447
on this build you can see the lengths easily... I didn't add them to the plans at all. There's an angle cut on the center side to allow to easily drop the wire into the hole and let gravity to its job. I used a longer extension attached to the correct length of extension, drop the extension down through, attach the servo, and then pull the wire back. This is the view once the wings are attached... View attachment 199448
using paper to make tubes is a great idea,I was always botherd by making wires through the wings

bwarz

Master member
I hope to be printing the plans for myself tomorrow and getting started on a second build to see how clean the plans are. Hopefully they're close for anyone who might have downloaded them and started a build! If you have and find any problems let me know!

bwarz

Master member
Any chance we can get a version of the full plans, not tiled? For those of us with foam cutters :)
I really wanted to do another build based solely on the plans as I uploaded just to be sure everything is good. Once I'm confident the plans are fully accurate, I can drop the whole set in another upload. One question tho - would it be easier if they were published in 20x30 size multipage (easy enough to open in Inkscape page by page) or just one big pile of parts on one page? Asking for a friend :ROFLMAO:

bwarz

Master member
LOL just saw John O's BF109 pics - I guess my build ain't so bad (shameless pat on the back to myself :ROFLMAO:) One thing that I saw on his that I've been contemplating how to do is the machine gun slots in the top of the cowl. I was going to do a 3D print design, but now that I've seen his I should figure out how to do it with DTFB (or keep it even simpler with cardstock). Perhaps back to the plans!

On that note - any thoughts on how to do a concave bend on foam board (paper on the inside side of the bend) or is that never going to happen on that small of a radius? Hmm.... I could just have the foam facing out - wrapping it around a round pencil worked easily enough...

bwarz

Master member
After a brief time of thought and a lazy use of the blade, I'm thinking I can accomplish the gun slots quite easily and accurately with a pattern to use after the fuselage and hatch are built. As half of the slot will be on the hatch, it'll probably end up much better in case the hatch doesn't alight well (like when I build mine lol). If I forget to add it later, trace pattern, cut the slot out - on the side of the slot closer to the centerline, cut straight down, on the side close to the wing, cut more horizontally. When done, use a pattern-to-be of the rough shape cut out of manila folder or heavy paper (not quite card stock), round ot a bit on a round pencil or dowel, and squish-fit into place. If it sits well, glue into place and carefully trim the excess with a very sharp knife...

bwarz

Master member
20210509_235952.jpg
turned out pretty well? I need to add the template and patterns to the full file. I like cutting it after everything is assembled... it really helps things be spot on with the slot being in the hatch and the skin A.

I also added the exhaust covers (fit lack of a better description). They need a bit of angle trimming to fit, but once you look at the parts you get the idea!

Last edited:

bwarz

Master member
I've added a single sheet with drawings for a few details - the machine gun channels in the top of the cowl and hatch as well as the 'exhaust covers' if anyone is interested. I will be including the parts in the overall plans once I've rebuilt from plans only...

Attachments

• ME-109G-2 version 1a extra details early version 1a.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 0

bwarz

Master member
A few notes for anyone who might be building off of the V1.0 plans... (having a rough night of it as I wasn't accurate with the first skin install and I didn't notice until I did quite a bit more assembly!)

Former 7 is a bit oversized and needs to be shaved a bit to cleanly fit former D over everything. Also, the rear former 8 needs a bit of taper on the bottom to match the bottom angle of the fuselage box. Be careful not to taper the top too much as it caused a bit of sloppiness when installing skin E. Also, if you're neck deep in building now, once you get skin D in place, you may need to use a pick to pull former 8 back a bit so you have something to attach skin E to!

The HSTAB as provided will work fine, but I've tweaked it but removing some of the paper and tapering the leading edge along the gap which removed 3-4g from the rear, which should translate to 10-15g less nose weight necessary to balance on CG.

Tonight was a bit of a setback in getting the plans finalized - my apologies (I still say I shouldn't have uploaded the plans prematurely!) Once I'm sure they're clean, I'll upload a new set including a single PDF with the full plan set on it and maybe a set for 20x30 for those out there with needle cutters...

bwarz

Master member
bwarz updated BF109-G2 Master Series style - 46" wingspan with a new update entry:

Updated plans, added 20x30 and full size (single sheet) plans as well

I have not yet had an opportunity to complete the second build, but I have made a few minor corrections and modifications to the plans. Of note, former 8 has been modified to be a front and back former (one smaller) to hopefully eliminate the need to taper the stack, as well as to make the fit just a bit easier as it was quite tight when assembling.

I've also included a few sheets with insignia for German as well as Romanian schemes (one of these days I might to a Finnish scheme...)

The...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Test Fly RC

Elite member
The airplane Looks great! Thanks for updating the plans!

Thanks for including a Romanian trim scheme! My dad is Romanian!

I'll probably build this airplane in the future, I'm to swamped right now with working on hobby stuff, I'll keep my eye on this plane and when I get out of the "swamp" then.............

bwarz

Master member
For anyone following or reading along, when I updated the plans it removed the PDF of build instructions o_O I just updated the initial post in the discussion here to include the PDF again. It has some details on the build process, especially during the installation of the skins.

bwarz

Master member
The airplane Looks great! Thanks for updating the plans!

Thanks for including a Romanian trim scheme! My dad is Romanian!

I'll probably build this airplane in the future, I'm to swamped right now with working on hobby stuff, I'll keep my eye on this plane and when I get out of the "swamp" then.............
Thank! Let me know if you have any questions once you get to building! I know how things pile up - I can get enough of building! The prototype flies nice and I'm dragging my feet building #2 from the plans :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I hope to get #2 wrapped up with landing gear by FliteFest so it's easier to take off!!!