Big FT Scout

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey everyone,

I am wanting to build an FT mighty mini Scout - however I don't want it to be mini. I would like it to be 200% of the original size.

I know Flitetest said that they were going to release a bigger swappable version of the scout soon, however I want one now! I also want to make it FPV, with a scale cockpit, a pan servo mechanism, and probably simple aerilons. I'm pretty sure this is all possible, however I need a bit of help with something.

Unfortunately I have no experience with scaling up the plans. If someone could point me towards a thread that teaches how to do this, I would be very grateful. This should be a fun little project. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm lagging behind on fulfilling requests these days but this one has its own thread..

200% coming right up!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Does anyone think a 200% Scout would be able to carry a GoPro? Not looked at the dimensions, but I'm thinking that if a normal FT Spitfire or Cruiser would be able to handle one then it would be okay. Maybe a 300% or 400% Scout would be more suitable for a GoPro FPV setup.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
From my scaled plans thread in the Q/A section :)

You don't seem to offer tiled plans, how do I print full sized plans?
1. Open the PDF you want to print using Adobe Reader X.
2. Click the Print icon.
3. In the Print dialog box, click Poster.
4. Set Tile Scale to 100%.
5. Set Overlap to 0.005in.
6. Click Print.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey man, thanks for that. I found some software earlier that offered a similar service. I have now printed all 3 pages of the PDF and have them ready for construction to commence tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks again!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Update on the progress of my 'Big Scout':

Got everything printed out, cut out and all the foam board pieces ready for assembly. I've ordered some new glue sticks for my glue gun - unfortunately I have currently run out.

I shall post some images soon!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice! What's your plan to reinforce the wing? I was thinking a dowel run under the wing camber would work.

InWyo

How well does the under-cambered wing scale up? What are the draw backs? I don't know much about it, but just made the casual observation that none of the standard sized planes, or larger planes have a completely under-cambered airfoil.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
How well does the under-cambered wing scale up? What are the draw backs? I don't know much about it, but just made the casual observation that none of the standard sized planes, or larger planes have a completely under-cambered airfoil.

It will cause a lot more drag compared to a normal wing. There will also be no shortage of lift and it will fly very, very, slowly. If you give it too much power the plane will climb almost uncontrollably and cause it to stall. There will definitely be a 'happy' range you'll have to stay in to get good flight. Overall it should fly fine, though.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey guys, great tips there. I think the plan will be to run a dowel under the wing camber to ensure rigidity in that area. I am slightly concerned about wing warping though. I may see how it looks when built and then decide. One thing I know is I will have to be careful in the construction process that the wing is perfectly symmetrical with the other wing. I have had disastrous consequences with this problem before!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
...I don't know much about it, but just made the casual observation that none of the standard sized planes, or larger planes have a completely under-cambered airfoil.

I assume that you are referring to the FT planes? That statement isn't exactly true though. The Old Fogey and the Old Speedster both have a completely under-cambered airfoil.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I finished the majority of the build today, so here are the images as promised.

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

It's looking pretty great! It feels like it will have a tone of lift and sort of float along at slow speeds, however the size will hopefully make it seem impressive and solid in the air.

Things to do now are as follows.

-Aquire wire for landing gear and build (a coat hanger or something).
-Finish installation of servos and push rods.
-Instal motor and esc.
-Attach battery velcro.
-Fine details such as the wire bracing and wire bracing cross supports near the cockpit.
-Test fly!

All this I'm aiming to do before returning to Uni on the 12th. Unfortunately I have an essay to finish so we will see how this goes! It will be one great reproducible aircraft if it works though.