Big FT Scout

Lavochkin

Q about power

At your scale factor of 200%, is it sized to take the swappable power pod, or are you using other motor/prop etc?

Thanks!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
At your scale factor of 200%, is it sized to take the swappable power pod, or are you using other motor/prop etc?

Thanks!

It scaled up to be far larger than the other swappables so I had to build a custom power pod, which is basically a scaled up by 200% mini power pod. :)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
That looks so good. I've almost completed one too. Anxious to get your flight report!

That's awesome man! Didn't expect anyone else to build one. Yeah I will let you know, but it seems to be very windy this week were I am!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Could you do tiled plans for the 200% Scout? I don't have access to a plotter to print out the big ones.

Are you using a Mac? If so, I found a good application for printing tiled A1 plans. It's called 'Mindcad Tiler'. If you search for it in the App store it should come up. There may be a PC version or something similar if you search for it on the net. Hope this helps.

Jan Chakk

Hi man, sorry about not replying sooner, didn't see this. I actually used plywood and BBQ sticks for mine as I didn't have any wire. I recommend just using fairly thick wire for yours though, the sort that you make your pushrods from, but maybe a bit thicker.

In other news, I haven't test flown the Big Scout yet, but I may be doing soon. I have been a bit busy with other projects.

Thanks James... Yes, have done it the same way you mentioned. Have used think aluminium wires instead of the same puch rod materials..

Cheers
JC.

Garret234

I built the big ft scout from nerdnics plans about 6 months ago and I also added ailerons. I had some pretty bad wing warping. When I built the big scout I didn't add any thrust angle in to the power pod and I had some crazy torque roll. Full aileron trim was needed to keep the plane flying strait. Just thought I would add some info before your maiden. Good luck!

kacknor

Build another!
I built the big ft scout from nerdnics plans about 6 months ago and I also added ailerons. I had some pretty bad wing warping. When I built the big scout I didn't add any thrust angle in to the power pod and I had some crazy torque roll. Full aileron trim was needed to keep the plane flying strait. Just thought I would add some info before your maiden. Good luck!

Been reading though this thread and figured a 200% Scout would have issues with the wing. I'd think a double layer of foam board and piece of carbon fiber will help a lot. A standard FT wing fold with a flat bottom would work too, but will greatly speed the plane up. Either will stiffen the wings and allow for ailerons without the warping.

JD

Garret234

jim_w, you will love the 150% mini scout. I have been flying mine for about 2 months and it is still flying great. I used a Blue wonder motor and no thrust angle was needed, just the down.

Good luck and have fun!

jim_w

jim_w, you will love the 150% mini scout. I have been flying mine for about 2 months and it is still flying great. I used a Blue wonder motor and no thrust angle was needed, just the down.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks...I plan on using a Blue Wonder as well. I got a little work done on it in the past couple of days...

Attachments

• 20160609_124926.jpg
    20160609_124926.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20160609_124935.jpg
    20160609_124935.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20160609_124945.jpg
    20160609_124945.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
+1...did it ever fly? I printed out my 150% plans yesterday and have them taped together. Hope to start on the build soon.

Jim

I'm very sorry I've neglected this thread for half a year and a half. Yes I did fly it, but only once. It was pretty good, very stable, no wing warp or anything. However it was very underpowered and felt a bit heavy and cumbersome in the air. To be honest, it was a bit boring to fly. I think that I'm more into faster moving things. I tried to spice thinks up a little by climbing and putting the aircraft into a steam dive. Unfortunately, the resulting attempt at a loop, and I was being fairly careful not to load the wings too much, folded the wings and she plummeted into the deck. Oh well.

Thanks for your interest everyone in this thread and I hope you have more fun with your Big Scouts. I think 150 percent should be about the perfect size :)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Photos of crash site will be posted btw. Sorry about the pic of the engine nacelles, don't know why they got attached to this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_4513.JPG
    IMG_4513.JPG
    949 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BrandoRC

This is an old thread but I wanted to put out there I am working on a 300% scout it will be fun message if interested

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Wow awesome! That thing is going to be absolutely huge! Be sure to make a thread about it :)

Last edited: