Big ol' flying car

Joe M

Its taken a heckin' long time, but the maiden flight's done. Actually got the balance spot on, and the elevons on the rear wing are dead even when trimmed, which is some kind of miracle. Flies pretty well, solid in pitch and yaw, but rocks on the roll axis, which is typical for any extremely low aspect ratio wing. It's certainly manageable. I'll get a flight video on here eventually, though current circumstances are making that somewhat tricky.

Now I've just gotta paint the rear wheels and motor pylon.

Joe
IMG_20200530_150847.jpg
IMG_20200530_150856.jpg

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Its taken a heckin' long time, but the maiden flight's done. Actually got the balance spot on, and the elevons on the rear wing are dead even when trimmed, which is some kind of miracle. Flies pretty well, solid in pitch and yaw, but rocks on the roll axis, which is typical for any extremely low aspect ratio wing. It's certainly manageable. I'll get a flight video on here eventually, though current circumstances are making that somewhat tricky.

Joe View attachment 170404 View attachment 170405
Coolest thing I've seen all week! That's sick!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Joe View attachment 170404 View attachment 170405
Oh yeah! :cool::cool: Congrats on the successful maiden!

Joe M

Thanks, everyone! And nice video, mrjdstewart. Reminded me that I did have an old drive/flight video from 2013 of a much earlier iteration of this project:

Same basic color scheme, except it was done in sharpie instead of paint. Nearly all of the materials were from Dollar Tree, foam and bbq skewers mostly. Flew great, though the wheels tended to fall off. bbq skewers don't make great axles.

Joe

Joe M

Finally got around to a flight video. A mighty poor landing if I do say so myself, but some snapped lower control arms ensured it would be its only flight of the day, so a redo was off the table. Thanks to my wife for the excellent cell phone cinematography.

Joe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Very nicely done. Thats one of the better looking and flying flying cars I have seen yet.

Most definitely give your wife a hug and thank her from all of us. First and foremost for using the camera correctly!!! Thank her for no Vertical video. Then congratulate her on a job well done from me as she managed to do a great job tracking the plane, being super smooth with her motion and not going crazy with the zoom and constantly losing site of the aircraft like so many others do. Better job then at least 80% of all of you tube. Almost like she has trained to film somewhere.

Tench745

Master member
Very nicely done. Thats one of the better looking and flying flying cars I have seen yet.

Most definitely give your wife a hug and thank her from all of us. First and foremost for using the camera correctly!!! Thank her for no Vertical video. Then congratulate her on a job well done from me as she managed to do a great job tracking the plane, being super smooth with her motion and not going crazy with the zoom and constantly losing site of the aircraft like so many others do. Better job then at least 80% of all of you tube. Almost like she has trained to film somewhere.
Ditto. Great job all around!

MacGyver Dad

This is an interesting design. Did you see my GTP flying car videos on YouTube? It looks remarkably similar. You certainly got the CG and overall control surfaces sorted out. A lot of flying cars I've seen missed the mark and don't fly quite as nice. I am redesigning some things on my design which I will be posting soon. I originally designed mine in about 2006/2007 and have been flying it ever since.

Joe M

I certainly have! Actually it was your GTP that got me back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I bought the kit, built it, painted it (looked great), and crashed it on the first flight. I suspect from a combination of high build weight, aft CG, and pilot error. I ended up building 2 or 3 more GTPs out of foamboard and really had it down by the last one. I've been iterating on the design ever since. The biggest changes being redesigning the steering geometry to mitigate wheel translation and in the airfoil, which was adapted from Lee Woodworth's 'Gull':

The one thing I've never been able to make work, but am determined to make work, is a thrust vectoring EDF-powered flying car. Ever since I installed TV on my Avanti it's been practically the only thing I fly, though I'm convinced that it would be better served in car form.

slowjo

Master member
Finally got around to a flight video. A mighty poor landing if I do say so myself, but some snapped lower control arms ensured it would be its only flight of the day, so a redo was off the table. Thanks to my wife for the excellent cell phone cinematography.

Joe

nice

MacGyver Dad

I certainly have! Actually it was your GTP that got me back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I bought the kit, built it, painted it (looked great), and crashed it on the first flight. I suspect from a combination of high build weight, aft CG, and pilot error. I ended up building 2 or 3 more GTPs out of foamboard and really had it down by the last one. I've been iterating on the design ever since. The biggest changes being redesigning the steering geometry to mitigate wheel translation and in the airfoil, which was adapted from Lee Woodworth's 'Gull':

The one thing I've never been able to make work, but am determined to make work, is a thrust vectoring EDF-powered flying car. Ever since I installed TV on my Avanti it's been practically the only thing I fly, though I'm convinced that it would be better served in car form.

The very first car I designed was a gag for a fastest foamie event at the Midwinter Electrics in San Diego roughly 2006. I used a wire cut airfoil and simple profile sides, printed the graphics on a large format color printer, and stuffed a fairly powerful Neu 1509 motor on 4S. It did about 110mph. It's probably about the size of yours here. That's what lead me to design my cool GTP kit that you eventually bought.

I just flew my RedBull GTP car today you see in the thumbnail above. I've got some really cool things going with it that I think folks will be very interested in. I'm going to start a thread to get feedback on how folks might want to see a kit made or to offer plans and 3D files to print the hard plastic bits.

Attachments

• GTP (1).jpg
    GTP (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • GTP (2).jpg
    GTP (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0