Big Scout 140% Sweet!

Winglet

Many Flite Test pilots will agree (Including Josh Bixler) that the FT Simple Scout is one of the very best flying models in the Flight Test hangar. It isn't uncommon to see one at our field along with a smiling pilot. Fun to build and great to fly, I've built 2 regular ones and a mini. I've also assisted people unfamiliar with FT in building a few more as their first foamboard experience. I really didn't need another as mine are all in good shape, but I really just wanted to build one. So why not build a really big one? Here is the result, scaled up 40%.

Big Scout 1.jpg

It flys just like any other Scout just bigger.

Here are a few details

Scaled up the plans at Kinkos/Fed Ex
Build almost 100 percent from Flite Test White Foamboard (ReadiBoard)
3 or 4 Cell power 2200mah 3 cells is just fine. 4 just a little more peppy
Motor is a generic brand 35/36 950KV
I'm using an APC 11x7e on both 3 and 4 cell.
ESC is 50 amp
Paint is Rusto-Oleum 2x Painter's Touch over one very lite coat of OIL based MinWax color Hunt Club Green satin
Those wheels come on the Hobby King Tundra. I order several at a time as they are my favorite
The tail wheel setup is a Sullivan Spring type tailwheel assembly for 4-60 size with a 1.25 inch wheel (really makes it taxi nice on grass)

Big Scout 2.jpg

That is basically it. If you are a modeler you will figure it all out easy enough. If you have previously built the Simple Scout kit, it will really help you in creating this monster.

It does nice large aerobatics. Isn't real fast but it isn't real slow. Looks so cool landing and taxing on our grass runway. I can do takeoffs and landings all day and never get tired of it. Oh, forgot to mention I programmed the ailerons to flaperons and they work nice and are fun. I've already had a couple of guys from our club ask for the plans. It is a good one! Flight Test would do themselves well to produce this as a kit in this size. They would sell a ton of them.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Many Flite Test pilots will agree (Including Josh Bixler) that the FT Simple Scout is one of the very best flying models in the Flight Test hangar. It isn't uncommon to see one at our field along with a smiling pilot. Fun to build and great to fly, I've built 2 regular ones and a mini. I've also assisted people unfamiliar with FT in building a few more as their first foamboard experience. I really didn't need another as mine are all in good shape, but I really just wanted to build one. So why not build a really big one? Here is the result, scaled up 40%.

View attachment 211633

It flys just like any other Scout just bigger.

Here are a few details

Scaled up the plans at Kinkos/Fed Ex
Build almost 100 percent from Flite Test White Foamboard (ReadiBoard)
3 or 4 Cell power 2200mah 3 cells is just fine. 4 just a little more peppy
Motor is a generic brand 35/36 950KV
I'm using an APC 11x7e on both 3 and 4 cell.
ESC is 50 amp
Paint is Rusto-Oleum 2x Painter's Touch over one very lite coat of OIL based MinWax color Hunt Club Green satin
Those wheels come on the Hobby King Tundra. I order several at a time as they are my favorite
The tail wheel setup is a Sullivan Spring type tailwheel assembly for 4-60 size with a 1.25 inch wheel (really makes it taxi nice on grass)

View attachment 211634

That is basically it. If you are a modeler you will figure it all out easy enough. If you have previously built the Simple Scout kit, it will really help you in creating this monster.

It does nice large aerobatics. Isn't real fast but it isn't real slow. Looks so cool landing and taxing on our grass runway. I can do takeoffs and landings all day and never get tired of it. Oh, forgot to mention I programmed the ailerons to flaperons and they work nice and are fun. I've already had a couple of guys from our club ask for the plans. It is a good one! Flight Test would do themselves well to produce this as a kit in this size. They would sell a ton of them.
Beautiful build, you’re making me want to try it out now! :D I love the mini scout and standard scout and I’m sure this one would be no different. I’ll bet the new motor ft released would be the perfect size for one of these.

Winglet

Beautiful build, you’re making me want to try it out now! :D I love the mini scout and standard scout and I’m sure this one would be no different. I’ll bet the new motor ft released would be the perfect size for one of these.
Yep, I've been hearing them talk about the new big motor and larger airplanes. I've also been spying on the background when I watch a new video. I've spotted a large Tutor and Bloody Wonder recently.

Last edited:

Winglet

I used the motor I did just because I already had it on hand and it seemed about right. Turns out it works great but there could be and probably is a better combination. However, the Scout seems to fly pretty good on almost anything reasonable for it's size.

Bifi.baarlo

That looks so sharp! Noticed you located your motor right on the very front. That probably helps a bit with the CG. I had to add a ton of weight to the nose.
And the lipo is a Graphene, they are a little heavier, I used heavy European foamboard, but I didn't need any nose weight.