BigFlat Ultimate 1000m - EPS

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So this is not my own design, but something I got from RCGroups. Looks like a fun build:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620974

Just started yesterday. I'll get some sandpaper later to round the LE and bevel the TE.

IMG_9710_zps9c6357a7.jpg

IMG_9712_zps02b76564.jpg

IMG_9711_zpsc4aa499f.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Cool!
I'm assuming that it's an aerobipe.:)
I really need to build the extra 300 swappable when it come out, My floatertjet is getting worn out by my maneuvers!
I DO HOPE YOU ARE GOING TO BRACE THAT!:cool:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Cool!
I'm assuming that it's an aerobipe.:)
I really need to build the extra 300 swappable when it come out, My floatertjet is getting worn out by my maneuvers!
I DO HOPE YOU ARE GOING TO BRACE THAT!:cool:

Of course I'll brace it :D Otherwise it will be a jello plane!

It's an Ultimate bipe - supposedly 3D capable and easy to hover!

I just need to get some spare gears for HXT900 servos :/ I have 2 servos with stripped gears... and I have $12 in store credit, but I can't pay the shipping with it. I'll finish the build first, though.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Jello plane... Hmm.
I think it's about time you took a break from those diabolical multirotor devices and got back to basics.:D
In all seriousness though, a variable wing shape aircraft would be fascinating.:confused:
Oh well, back to Precalc.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Jello plane... Hmm.
I think it's about time you took a break from those diabolical multirotor devices and got back to basics.:D
In all seriousness though, a variable wing shape aircraft would be fascinating.:confused:
Oh well, back to Precalc.

HAHAHA, I am coming back from the dark side :p

I might use BBQ skewers according to the FliteTest tradition, or some bamboo sticks if I need anything longer...

I'm still wondering about the spar, can't find anything light and stiff enough. Birch dowel 5mm might have to do.

I might even put a layer or two of newspaper on it to give it more strength! AKA homemade foamboard :D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hold that thought.
Many people used to use brown paper soaked in glue to make a strong smooth skins on EPS foam, perhaps you could try that! As to a spar, doesn't balsa GROW in Ecuador? :p
Birch would definatly work.
I need to build some good planes, but my budget is very restricted due to the fact that lawns don't grow in the winter!:black_eyed:
I also broke the bank to get my beloved floaterjet, but it has taken a REAL beating.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Yuck, there is nothing as disappointing as taking hours to build a plane, only to have it turn into a pile of easily crunched sticks due to bad balsa.
I know, I built a 48 inch span piper cub out of it, covered it, and it shriveled into a ball when the skin tightened!
Good luck on the bipe!
I will cease my hijacking attempt my Ecuadorian-Swiss friend!:p

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I will cease my hijacking attempt my Ecuadorian-Swiss friend!:p

My thread, and I say that if you want to talk about cheese you can talk about cheese.

I am most worried about the hinges being sloppy, but I think that if I make the hinges with the paper itself, they should become strong enough.

I might start working on the paper covering tonight. Any ideas if I should use several small strips of paper or try to use a whole sheet?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I do like Cheddar...:p
First off, what glue do you have available?
The originals used white glue, but I don't think that would work well in your climate.
Do you have any acrylic glues?
If so these will work fine.
The paper will be too stiff with the glue to use as a hinge, but regular old packing tape would work great.
Also Hot glue hinges work great, if you know how to use them. If you need, I can run down my technique.

Try a whole sheet of paper, using this technique:
Take the foam, and cover the entire top side of the foam with glue, thickly coated.
Next, lay the newspaper, and lay it over the top of the glue, soaking it thoroughly.
Then, mist the top sheet with water and lay another sheet of paper over it.
Lastly, coat the paper with glue again, and lay to dry.
Once fully dry, either sand, or simply paint.
Keep me posted on how this turns out!
I may build one too!:D

tramsgar

I just need to get some spare gears for HXT900 servos :/ I have 2 servos with stripped gears... and I have $12 in store credit, but I can't pay the shipping with it. I'll finish the build first, though.

You're gonna order replacement gears for $2.69 servos?? Me sad. PM me your paypal email and I'll wire you for new ones out of my codemonkey paycheck, I want to see that thing jobble!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I do like Cheddar...:p
I have white glue, and I will thin it to 50%. It will work well as long as it's not exposed to the air.
I got some brown paper, but it's really thick, heavy and stiff. Not good for a 3D bipe IMO. Maybe I'll use it for one of the wings I'm planning on. It weighs like 75 grams per sq meter!

I might use some white paper (printer paper type) I also got, or newspaper as originally planned.

I guess tape will stick better to paper than to the EPS, so I'll use packing tape all the way.

I will try the method you posted!

You're gonna order replacement gears for $2.69 servos?? Me sad. PM me your paypal email and I'll wire you for new ones out of my codemonkey paycheck, I want to see that thing jobble!

Thanks for your kind offer :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Use news paper! And as to the white glue, the whole idea is to build a stiff structure, so make it with low humidity(>35%), Thoroughly dry it, then coat it with spray paint, so your nasty humidity can't get to it.
Up here It's -6c and 33% humidity with 72 KPH winds, with snow. Perfect weather for flying, right?;)
Oh well.:rolleyes:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Use news paper! And as to the white glue, the whole idea is to build a stiff structure, so make it with low humidity(>35%), Thoroughly dry it, then coat it with spray paint, so your nasty humidity can't get to it.
Up here It's -6c and 33% humidity with 72 KPH winds, with snow. Perfect weather for flying, right?;)
Oh well.:rolleyes:

Relative humidity dials here are constantly on 90-100% Sounds wrong, but they are...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I'd drown if I went down there!
I've never seen humidity above 80 up here.

I wouldn't use white glue then.:eek: See if you can get your paws on some artist's acrylic, such as gloss medium.

I will be very surprised if white glue works. Then again, if it has worked before, Go for it!:cool:

I'm dumpy because the guy who clocked my floater jet called and said his radar calibration was way off. The planes actual speeds were around 75-80 MPH. :(
Can't win em' all I guess!:black_eyed:

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I wouldn't use white glue then.:eek: See if you can get your paws on some artist's acrylic, such as gloss medium.

Just did. I did the two wings, they are now super heavy but also super sturdy! Will post more later as I have to go now...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
GOOD!:applause:
What ever works for you.
You can also sand them when you're done to save weight.
I'm looking forward to the progress reports!:)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
GOOD!:applause:
What ever works for you.
You can also sand them when you're done to save weight.
I'm looking forward to the progress reports!:)

Not sure about the sanding, will see. I only have one layer of paper and quite a few air bubbles... I'll sand down the ridges if I can.