Bills Law strikes again! Life of a Psyborg documented.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
YUP!!! you guessed it... I went another round with Bills Law...
Soooo.. THIS time....

I did my usual computer maintenance and decided to update drivers n such... That all worked great. Until my graphics control gui disappeared while I was playing a game. The computer restarted and I went on with my keelin Jedi. I finished for the night and went to sleep... When I woke up the next day I saw my computer was off which is nothing new. We regularly lose power out here in the boonies so I thought nothing of it. Booted the computer and logged in. Headed to the kitchen to make coffee n bagels to have while I checked the forums and got ready to add a new post to my on going story in another thread.

I clicked on google and it gave me a white "oh snap" screen that threw the error Status_Breakpoint I clicked the reload button and the page refreshed to the forums. I filled in the login info and hit enter and got another Error exactly the same. So I decided to look up the error and at that point EVERY time I tried to go on google It threw that error. Silly me figured something gakked when I updated Chrome the night before so I was like.. Ok save the effort uninstall and reload Chrome right.... NOT

So with no access to the web on the compy i grabbed the tiny phone and started investigating the error. Went through the obvious stuff first.. no dice..Went deeper into the not so obvious Still no go. Then I remembered seeing someone blamed the issue they had on overheating. As a last ditch before doing a complete wipe and resetting of my entire system I decided to take a look at my cooling system. I saw that it was a bit lower then normal with coolant in the reservoir but nothing to make me worried. So I started to look deeper in the box for leaks and such but found nothing. I put my ear to the pump and reservoir and it was chugging away but I noticed the "whoosh" of coolant moving was no longer present.

I figured something was clogged so it was time to drain it off and dig deeper. Found out the cpu water block was clogged up with gunk. I wasnt too upset after all this coolant system I designed and built has been running ZERO issues for 10 years on two computers. Me thinks I got my moneys worth hehe. Anyway I scraped out the gunk and cleaned the fins in the block best I could. Made new hoses for it all and leak tested it while watching flow rate for a whole day while it sat in my kitchen sink running off my 2200 mah lipos hehe. It seemed good enough to live long enough I can get the parts for the upgrade I have been planning for a year for just havent pulled the trigger on the parts I have been keeping my eyes on.

Anyway I grabbed my SSD from the previous build and threw that in to get the system back up and running. Spent 3 days pulling everything I could off the latest hard drive that has the break point errors. I was planning on reloading the SSD as its faster for the OS then the one I have been using. Those combo drives with an ssd partition and a spinny drive dont work like I thought they did and it was much slower.. That will become the dedicated storage drive and the solo SSD will be OS and hardware only drive. at least I managed to get thru the stack of old drives laying around and got as much pulled from them as I could. I now have 3 open drives that can be used for storage as they are slower spinny drives ranging from 40 gig to 800 gig. And two dead ones. I also have my old drive from my college days with win2k and all my school stuff in tact Got some of my honors writing assignments pulled from it I may post here over time. I also have the drive from the computer my last band used for recording and managed to get some old stuff from that as well.

So for now I am back. Hopefully I can source new parts and decide either win10 or linux or both before this craps out again
I was wondering where you had disappeared to - welcome back!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Day two of the reconstruction... Been trying to reload all my stuff and am hitting brick walls every where. All my software and most of my games were tied to the email account that has been changed or deleted after my phone got hacked... ZERO forward progress since 7:30 am so far and its noon now.

I'd sooo love to show that hacker my skills with an eyeball and a gentle index finger squeeze.

On a higher note I have decided what way to go on the upgrade for the system. Fighting this reload has motivated me to do it sooner rather then later.

Going with an asus prime z390 MB Combo'd with an intel core i9 99000kf processor as a bundle and adding 16 gig gskill Ripjaws V ram. The rest I can keep from this system and I will just have to buy a different CPU water block to fit that new processor. all that will price out around $600 dollars which I already have most saved up. Ill have my friend order it on his card and give him the cash for it to save time while Amazon days is still going. then its just finding a clean version of win 10 on disk that is not loaded with bloatware. I can DL and learn linux over time once I have a properly functioning system again.

Bit of a jump from the current asus P6T mb and Core i7 920 with 12 gig ram I am worried about now. Its close to 10 years old so its over due anyways and I have been putting money aside since last year to piece parts it all. Glad to see prices have fallen a lot since I last looked.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Day two of the reconstruction... Been trying to reload all my stuff and am hitting brick walls every where. All my software and most of my games were tied to the email account that has been changed or deleted after my phone got hacked... ZERO forward progress since 7:30 am so far and its noon now.

I'd sooo love to show that hacker my skills with an eyeball and a gentle index finger squeeze.

On a higher note I have decided what way to go on the upgrade for the system. Fighting this reload has motivated me to do it sooner rather then later.

Going with an asus prime z390 MB Combo'd with an intel core i9 99000kf processor as a bundle and adding 16 gig gskill Ripjaws V ram. The rest I can keep from this system and I will just have to buy a different CPU water block to fit that new processor. all that will price out around $600 dollars which I already have most saved up. Ill have my friend order it on his card and give him the cash for it to save time while Amazon days is still going. then its just finding a clean version of win 10 on disk that is not loaded with bloatware. I can DL and learn linux over time once I have a properly functioning system again.

Bit of a jump from the current asus P6T mb and Core i7 920 with 12 gig ram I am worried about now. Its close to 10 years old so its over due anyways and I have been putting money aside since last year to piece parts it all. Glad to see prices have fallen a lot since I last looked.
Awesome!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
GAH... so much for Amazon two day delivery... its sitting at 2 weeks.. 24th thru the 28th with 3 different days for 4 parts... Way ta go COVID.. you messed up play time AHHHGAIN!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well. I have gone n dunnit. I am now officially on a rebuild of my computer usings win 10.. sigh... I REALLY wanted to NOT be on it and learn linux but I procrastinated too long and as reported in earlier posts my previous set up got hurt.

Anyways The new mother board, processor, ram, cpu cooling block, card reader/ front usb 3.0 extra slots and as of today a new 500gig WD black series NVME drive is now working.

I finished the tear down, cleaning and installing the new parts around 7:30 this evening. Its now midnight and the OS, updates, Mother board drivers, my favorite diagnostic / monitoring software and updated video drivers are now in and (knock on wood) functioning flawlessly.

I was going to go with win 10 home until I read that if you do a clean install on new gear you can migrate an old license to the new OS. I was running win 7 pro so I did a fresh win 10 pro install to see if my luck holds out and it will activate on the old win 7 license. To late to try it now as if it fails or borks something I dont want to be agitated this late at night. Id never get to sleep and would be up all dang night redoing everything for a new win 10 how setup.

Ill post again tomorrow with results and dump some pics in before I close everything up. Temps on both the cpu and the gpu are seating in nicely after watching a few YT videos and doing the forum thing. idle temps for both are sitting at a nice 28 - 29c Without changing fan settings the video spiked to 43c watching back to back you tube videos and sat there as was the old way it worked as well.

Will have to load up a game er three and get the video card AI a few things to crunch to optimize itself with the new ATI Adrenaline suite to see how well that works as well as learn another new thing.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Still not buttoned up totally as I am still trying to sort out older hd's to get stuff I want or need transferred. I may man up here in a bit and see if activating from my win 7 license works. If not I guess its for the best as I will know before reloading EVERYTHING. I did manage to rip a few games for a few hours and the performance is crazy as I can max out ALL settings in the main games I have been playing for years. I just need to sort out that new software for the network stuff as that is supposed to optimize connection speeds as I did have a few stutters last night when other people loaded into the screen I was in.

I have my two old school drives mounted, one reformatted drive that is empty I will load linux on and start learning that with. I have the original ssd with win7 on that I will keep for a bit yet just in case. Later that will get relegated to being the swap file or to be set up as ready boost (not that this beastie needs it hehe)

Those new nvme drives are scary small but now I see how all these mico computers and NUCS can fit so much storage in them. Its amazing how much water the pump moves after 10ish years of use. Of course not having a gummed up water block helps with that I suppose. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have kept up with good maintenance giving regular cleaning of everything twice a year and making sure the mix in the cooling system is good with water wetter and Listerine to prevent algae (dont laugh there is ZERO sludge in the entire system other then the super tiny channels in that water block after 10 years). then just making sure it gets topped off with distilled water as needed.

I do have to get into the bios and figure out that led thingie over the chipset as that pulses constantly and Id rather set it up as like some sort of alarm or alert about temps. Maybe if I can have it stay green under good conditions and fade to yellow to red as things change? Not even sure how all that can work. will have to break out the book on the mother board and read more once its all active stable and loaded back up.

IMG_20201027_174226.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@LitterBug I usually do that but not sure about this whole win 10 thing. Every one I know says is a slow resource pig. Besides I STILL need to learn where all that stuff is at to be able to turn it off (or on for that matter). :ROFLMAO:

Heck I plugged in my passport portable drive to transfer the story I have been posting and it took over the external portable drive and would not let me disconnect it. It kept saying it was in use and I had to stop what ever program was using it. I finally said screw it, turned off the system and unplugged it. TAKE THAT WIN 10!!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I have everything set up best I know for now so I thought it was time to try the activation. I disconnected the modem so it could not detect it and give me the option to make a microsoft account later. Then on that same page there was an option to change the key and I entered my original win 7 key. Again got that no internet message and was ready to reconnect and see what happens.

I plugged the internet back in and a few seconds later I got the message win 10 was successfully activated and the water mark for activating windows disappeared. So basically the information that a free windows upgrade can still be done is true. the best thing is I was able to do it without starting a windows account give Microsoft yet another way to track and harass me or flood me with even more ads.

Now that is all done I will be ordering an internal wifi / bluetooth card once I have the cash so I can ditch the old 1980's wifi router that is not so secure by todays standards so I will be able to update my tablet as well as set up betaflight on it to be able to work on quads outside the apartment.

No time to learn how to kill as many of the programs and features reporting back to Microsoft full time that I will never use or need.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well it done happened again.. here I was mindin my own binnis riding back from a grocery shopping trip with a friend who took me. We leave the store and start heading out of town on the way home and some idiot all in a hurry starts riding the bumper so close we cant see the headlights and the SUV sat a good 6 inches taller at the door then us.

We are in a 30 mph zone passing the college and this person is beeping and flipping her off trying to get her to speed up. Naturally she slowed down a little to see if they were in so much hurry they would pass and be on their merry way even though its 30 mph and double no pass line zone. No dice.. so she speeds up a little to like 35 and again right on her butt beepin and having anger issues.

Knowing there is usually a cop sitting at the crest of the hill she drops back down to 30 with this person still actin a fool. At the crest of the hill she sees there is no cop and not far from there the road jumps to 55 but is still a no pass zone. We get to where we know there is no cop and this idiot speeds up starts to pass and clips her left rear quarter. Felt like it actually lifted the back left off the ground or at least hard enough to make it light on the wheel.

Anyway she pulls over and I undo my seat belt expecting this nutbag to hop out.. NOPE.. Didnt slow down passed by beeping swearing and flippin the bird and drove off into the sunset. Soooo .. 2 hours later we finally get home after waiting for the sheriffs who were in the area and right on top of the scene to do a quick search for the offending vehicle. One stopped and checked to make sure we were ok but he was assisting so we had to wait for the assigned officer to get back to do the paperwork.

Anyway no one was injured but I am sure I will be stiff by tomorrow as any jarring like that really tends to cramp muscles n such on top of the adrenaline rush. #wheresabischutowhenyaneedher

Remember there are TONS more nutbags on the roads this time of year so be extra safe and extra watchful around people like this. Happy and Safe Holidays all

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooo... how many of you have test anxiety? I usually don't but today I was a tad nervous. Woke up two days ago with what felt like the start of a chest cold. Spent all day yesterday trying to knock it down with Nyquil and tons of fluids. Slept most of the day only getting up for food and bathroom breaks. My friend just dropped off some home test kits and seems ... YES you guessed it Bills Law has struck again.

I some how managed to get covid without ever leaving my apartment for around 2 weeks other then to check mail twice with no one out and about to come in contact with. Last time I was actually in sight of a human let alone contact was Christmas day. The only thing I can think of is one of my neighbors had guests over the holidays that were hacking and coughing out in the hallway and maybe some how I caught it from them thru the draft in this place.

Gonna be contacting local health department asap and see what the next step is. Got a dry cough that is really annoying, chills once in a while but so far no trouble breathing or anything like that. I did get my shots last year so that is probably helping lessen the impact.

IMG_20220107_173120_494.jpg

the bright note in all of this is at least I am not pregnant..

M

MCNC

Yeah I know several now that were vaccinated and picked up Omicron. They so far have had mild symptoms. Two were high risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

bisco

Elite member
omni is extremely contageous. getting around 25,000 cases a day here. fortunately, hospitalization increase isn't corresponding to case increase. i hope you feel better soon! my sis inlaw said it was twice as bad as any flu she ever had.