Bills Law strikes again! Life of a Psyborg documented.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I reflashed my Lux board today, to make it work I had to redo the Zadig stuff because windows replaced the driver all by itself... Remember when USB first came out? It was supposed to be the simple, universal solution to all driver problems... Yeah....

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I am pretty sure it is down to the genius coders with the common sense and foresight of a cinder block. They run what ever OS they use and load the drivers for it from Defuse or Zadig.. They don't bother thinking that the people who are buying their stuff do NOT necessarily use the same set ups as they do.

So what I am thinking here is one guy codes clean flight on say a win 8 machine.. runs the win 8 drivers. So when you plug your fc into your computer windows sees what the code is looking for and goes out and over writes the drivers for YOUR machine with his.

THEN you get the guys working on Beta flight who run a totally different machine and they code using what version of Defuse and zadig or what ever usb drivers that work on theirs.

So we are now at the point when ever you plug in an FC it wants to load a random driver because the genius cinder blocks can't take 5 minutes to add into their code a selection choice for what OS you are using.

So since this happens now EVERYTIME I plug a "*Flight" fc into my computer I have made the choice to NEVER buy another *Flight product again. They have caused me enough aggravation I am now voting with my wallet. I will also not bother trying to help others figure out this nightmare that can be cured by a few minutes of thought a few more changing or adding code because an EVIL genius cinder block can not think outside the 6 square feet they live and breath in.

If you can't tell I am STILL pissed off and the only reason I bothered to check back here is I can't friggin sleep I am so mad.

My apologies to everyone here as I know this aint how we roll here but enough is enough.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The Taranis is the single most frustrating USB device I own. Every time I try to connect it to the PC I have to hassle with the damn drivers.

EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN' TIME.

It wasn't always this way. When I first got my Taranis in 2014, it just worked. My Naze32 and Brain FPV flight controllers, same thing. They all just worked. Plug it in, Windows says 'hello' and you do what you plugged in to do.

Then Windows 10 happened and Microsoft started changing drivers without asking. I went back to 7 and got a 3 month reprieve. Now Windows 7 acts the same way as 10 with these drivers.

Plug in the Taranis and Windows starts changing drivers and it takes me an hour to get it working again.

When I do get the Taranis working, if I reboot, my mouse stops working. When I disconnect the mouse and reconnect it, the Taranis stops working....

I blame Microsoft and the Windows 10 'Big brother now owns your PC' concept.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank you for lightening this up a tad there Jim. I always loved then commercials. I like the newest one where they throw linux into the mix.

Maybe once Windows based usb stuff angers me enough I will walk away from the RC hobby a while and go learn linux. Then come back to it all when I can write my own dam drivers.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Just to giggle a bit more I will show you the new B'slaw Melons I may have to patent and market at some point. Seems to be a pretty hearty version as its growing like crazy in the new planter. :rolleyes:

Blawmelon1.jpg

Blawmelon2.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been growing grass myself. Penncross Creeping Bentgrass to be exact. Makes for a good practice green for my boy who is in to golf and a nice soft LOS landing pad in the back yard...
Owl2dRoninRedux.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Actually Zoysia would be better for BOTH golfing and flying. Its short and tight. Insanely resistant to drought, disease and is very aggressive to claim new territory. Needs little maintenance like cutting as it is short and tight to begin with.

and now for the next in the saga of Bills Law... Been struggling to figure out how to flash this dam femto board for the Gremlin and it will not work in DFU mode to save its ass. I went thru all the hell of reloading and starting one driver at a time to see if I could make it work but nothing. Once all my drivers were back in I just went to check to make sure my other quads will connect and now the pricks working on clean flight have locked out my controller for my versacopter until I flash a new firmware onto it which will probably not be able to work because they cant get their !#@$ together on what driver is needed to work with the friggin bootloader. I mean really WTH are the dev's for each subclass of the "Flights" having some kind of stupid lovers quarrel or what. They totally have screwed up the whole thing with whatever they have done. I am this close to throwing everything that has their stuff in the trash and you can bet I will NEVER pay for another of their products.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Take a deep breath PB.... The driver issue really is a M$ WinDoze problem, not *flight. Specifically, it is the Windows driver(s) responsible for the USB to Serial adapter that is on the flight controllers and has nothing to do with the Firmware that is running on the flight controller or the configurator software that runs on windoze. I have not used linux to configure any of my FCs yet, but have plenty of linux experience going back to the early 90's when it was first developed. I hate Windows 8 and 10 and will keep on using Windows 7 until it looses all support. At that point I'll probably switch to only linux. I've used Apple, but hate their proprietary overpriced hardware and closed market. I can help get this figured out if you can tell me what version of windoze you are running, and a screenshot of device mangler with the device plugged in.

Are you plugging the board in with or without the boot button pressed?

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I went thru it all again in the last 7 or so hours.. At this point I can connect normally thru beta flight. It will NOT go into DFU mode when the pads are shorted to go into boot loader mode. Windows makes the good ding sound when I try and power on into boot loader mode and reports the port is in DFU mode. I can start DeFuse Demo and start the FC in boot loader mode and DeFuse sees and reads it. Beta flight sits there like it is not connected to anything port wise

driversmall.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If it is coming up in DeFuse demo, the wrong driver is on the device. It needs to have the zadig driver when it is in DFU mode.

Hold the Bootloader Button and connect the board to your PC via USB.
Open Zadig, choose Options > List All Devices
Select STM32 Bootloader, WinUSB
Click “replace driver” or “install driver”

Once that is done, and your board is connected in bootloader mode (by holding the boot button down) you should be able to select DFU within cleanflight/betaflight and you can flash the firmware onto your board!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I tried Zadig on my first FC which did not work. I have up to this point been able to flash them just fine without it. (once the correct drivers were found). I have seen videos specifically stating to not use it as well.

When I first tried to flash an FC I loaded Zadig and it wouldn't work I spent a good four or five hours searching forums for answers. I found that the Flight Fc's only needed CP210 drivers and Defuse. Defuse drivers were used to flash the FC firmware and CP210 is used to connect to the gui after its flashed.

For KISS Defuse is used to connect and flash and VCP 1.4 is used to connect normally with the gui. That's All I ever used. If I remember correctly the VCP driver was recommended on the STmicroelectronics boards or release notes instead of Zadig due to conflicts. In fact since I first started with Quads I had a hard drive die. Zadig has never been on this install at all and I have flashed several revisions of KISS, at least two times for the versacopter with the clone SPF3 and the two Taranis updates as well

I will DL it again and try but I am pretty sure its gonna much everything up yet again.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sooo yeah...
DL'd Zadig..started the FC in boot loader mode..
Started Zadig
Listed all devices
Clicked Stm bootloader and selected win driver
Clicked install driver

FAILED...
several more attempts..
FAILED

Deleted all other drivers, restarted system, Reg clean
Started Fc in boot loader mode
Started Zadig... FAILED..

Reloaded Defuse, restarted computer yadda yadda yadda..
FAILED.

UN
F'ING
BELIEVABLE

I am done now before I end up in the psyche ward, hospital, or jail.

Thanks for trying to help

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Lunch time! :)

Take a break. Kill some zombies or mow the lawn. Totally get it. I was thinking of selling my Taranis Plus for $50 just to stop the driver horror.

It all worked after lunch (a week later...). :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Wish I had a way to remote desktop and help walk you through it. (ie VPN and tightvnc or equivalent)

Cheers!
LitterBug

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hey PsyBorg, I have some software that can allow for troubleshooting/screen sharing if you think you might need a hand sorting this out. No guarantees I can fix it, but I'd like to try and help if I can.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
One obvious thing I have not yet tried yet is other cables and disconnecting other peripherals. I will when I get home. I've read how some try a few cables before finding one that works. I'm suspecting some USB cable supplied for recharge purposes only might not be fully functional for other purposes.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I have found with the Taranis that one of my USB 2 ports will NOT work while another will. Same cable, same PC two different ports, both USB 2 and both on the front of this PC.

The USB ports are side by side. One works for Taranis, the other does not.

Windows drivers are a mental problem.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
4 different cables (of only 2 types) on 3 different USB ports and, no joy!:mad:

Tricopter connected to both CleanFlight and BetaFlight no problem. (It notiified me I need to update the tricopter firm ware... HA, fat chance I'm going to risk a working machine to paify a message to achieve what?)

But the point being, why is my tricpoter recognized and not the new FT Gremlin board? It is a different cable. The tricopter uses the larger mini USB and the EMAX board uses the micro USB.

Also of note, sometimes I get a flashing red with a steady blue and sometimes just the steady blue.:mad:

EMAX support has been notified.
https://www.emaxmodel.com/contacts

Last edited: