BIND SWITCH HACK (Video)

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Okay guys, so if you are anything like me, you really struggle with binding your planes, specifically finding those darn bind plugs, fitting them into poorly located receivers, and remembering to take them out when finished...

I'm happy to say I have developed a solution that is quick, easy, and super cheap! Introducing the bind switch...

IMG_2545.JPG

Here is how to make your own:

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I just bind on the bench, then it’s done and ready to go. Never had a receiver unbind so far.
Neat idea, not much use to me but I am sure others will find it useful.

Im pretty much the same way, however it is a pretty awkward situation when you need to bind but almost have to tear apart the entire plane to get to the bind port... There are also people on the forums that use basic radio systems and have to rebind between models, so this would be of benefit to them. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: FDS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Too much work for me!
I normally fit a servo extension lead to the bind pins of the receiver when I bury the receiver inside the plane and have the open end of the servo extension accessible in the battery area for when I need ot rebind the receiver.

I do a lot of builds and test flights for other persons including=FB designs, retail foamies and of course crash rebuilds. So rebinding to the owners equipment is a consistent requirement but the receiver cannot always be left in a position where access is guaranteed. This is especially true on some of the smaller motor gliders where a third party flight controller is to be fitted.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Too much work for me!
I normally fit a servo extension lead to the bind pins of the receiver when I bury the receiver inside the plane and have the open end of the servo extension accessible in the battery area for when I need ot rebind the receiver.

I do a lot of builds and test flights for other persons including=FB designs, retail foamies and of course crash rebuilds. So rebinding to the owners equipment is a consistent requirement but the receiver cannot always be left in a position where access is guaranteed. This is especially true on some of the smaller motor gliders where a third party flight controller is to be fitted.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Great point, there are easier solutions out there of course, for people not wanting to roll up their sleeves or like you, who need a quick solution. Ive used that method before, and of course the main draw to the switch is the fact that you simply don't need a plug at all, similar to other RX brands that have buttons instead. I find them really hard to keep track of, and Im always without one when i need it in a pinch. Happy flying!

Bricks

Master member
Nice job for bind plugs as I have many of them I have orange string that I tie to some of them and leave them in my transmitter case, or vehicle or where ever the string makes them easier to find.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Great point, there are easier solutions out there of course, for people not wanting to roll up their sleeves or like you, who need a quick solution. Ive used that method before, and of course the main draw to the switch is the fact that you simply don't need a plug at all, similar to other RX brands that have buttons instead. I find them really hard to keep track of, and Im always without one when i need it in a pinch. Happy flying!
Agreed but mine is not just wanting an easy solution, (I spent my working life with a soldering in my hand), but rather that I have a lot of clumsy end users who would undoubtedly bump the switch and enter bind mode without even realising it. Hence more work for me!

In addition many users use Spektrum and are forever stuffing up their attempts at rebinding and making their fail safe actually dangerous. Easy to access but difficult to accidentally enter bind mode is my deliberate choice. I can see the simplicity of the switch but I have different requirements and binding should be something that does not need to be done more than once or twice.

Have fun!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Nice job for bind plugs as I have many of them I have orange string that I tie to some of them and leave them in my transmitter case, or vehicle or where ever the string makes them easier to find.
I always have one or two on my transmitter lanyard hook at the ready

CustomRCMods

Elite member
Agreed but mine is not just wanting an easy solution, (I spent my working life with a soldering in my hand), but rather that I have a lot of clumsy end users who would undoubtedly bump the switch and enter bind mode without even realising it. Hence more work for me!

In addition many users use Spektrum and are forever stuffing up their attempts at rebinding and making their fail safe actually dangerous. Easy to access but difficult to accidentally enter bind mode is my deliberate choice. I can see the simplicity of the switch but I have different requirements and binding should be something that does not need to be done more than once or twice.

Have fun!
Fair Points, I likely will start using momentary switches (buttons) Instead just to make it harder to be bumped. This is just what I had laying around, Honestly most of my planes have good RX mounting spots anyways, so this isn't necessary. However I feel this mod does have a niche group of users who could really benefit, So I wanted to Share it. thanks!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Fair Points, I likely will start using momentary switches (buttons) Instead just to make it harder to be bumped. This is just what I had laying around, Honestly most of my planes have good RX mounting spots anyways, so this isn't necessary. However I feel this mod does have a niche group of users who could really benefit, So I wanted to Share it. thanks!
I follow your need or innovation but as mentioned it doesn't suit the specific needs I face.

It is a great idea, (others at the local club are fitting the plain servo extension on all new birds to save them having to dig around after the assembly is completed).

Just a thought on your idea, (a possible development for you to consider), if the switch was replaced with a reed switch that can be activated by holding a magnet over it then the accidental nature of its operation could be resolved and also the reed switch could be mounted inside and activated by a magnet on the outside so that you no longer need ot disassemble anything to put it into bind mode.

Just a thought!

have fun!

CustomRCMods

Elite member
I follow your need or innovation but as mentioned it doesn't suit the specific needs I face.

It is a great idea, (others at the local club are fitting the plain servo extension on all new birds to save them having to dig around after the assembly is completed).

Just a thought on your idea, (a possible development for you to consider), if the switch was replaced with a reed switch that can be activated by holding a magnet over it then the accidental nature of its operation could be resolved and also the reed switch could be mounted inside and activated by a magnet on the outside so that you no longer need ot disassemble anything to put it into bind mode.

Just a thought!

have fun!

Thats not a bad idea! I think either that or using a momentary switch (must be pressed while powering on the plane, but can be bumped anytime else) is the way to go.

Happy flying!

CROSSBOLT

I just bind on the bench, then it’s done and ready to go. Never had a receiver unbind so far.
Neat idea, not much use to me but I am sure others will find it useful.
You would need to "bind" if you reset the transmitter....