Biplane floatplane... Epic!

Arcfyre

Elite member
So last October I modified a simple scout scratch build into a sweet little biplane. That airplane was a resounding success, and I've been flying it all winter long. Link to the original thread here.

That airframe has been through the ringer in the meantime, and as it was nearing retirement, I decided to send it out with a bang. I had a set of floats laying around that I hadn't installed on an airplane yet, so I did a quick and dirty set of landing gear legs and attached the floats to the bipe.

I've had a few floatplanes in the past, and this one outperforms them all! It's just a gorgeous flying airplane. I like it so much I may be rebuilding it from scratch as a floatplane during the next week. Here's a pic and some video.

20200607_121129.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
So last October I modified a simple scout scratch build into a sweet little biplane. That airplane was a resounding success, and I've been flying it all winter long. Link to the original thread here.

That airframe has been through the ringer in the meantime, and as it was nearing retirement, I decided to send it out with a bang. I had a set of floats laying around that I hadn't installed on an airplane yet, so I did a quick and dirty set of landing gear legs and attached the floats to the bipe.

I've had a few floatplanes in the past, and this one outperforms them all! It's just a gorgeous flying airplane. I like it so much I may be rebuilding it from scratch as a floatplane during the next week. Here's a pic and some video.

View attachment 171371

Amazing work like always buddy. Loved the second video it was great with those touch and go’s. Love your hat too :).

Arcfyre

Elite member
So the prototype biplane seaplane was a great success, but the airframe was just too worn out to continue service.

I decided to go all out and rebuild the plane as a foamboard/balsa hybrid. The wings are foam board and the fuselage and tail surfaces are balsa. Here are some pictures of the build and the maiden this morning.

20200613_143022.jpg
20200613_182933.jpg
20200610_220232.jpg
Plane1.jpg

Pretty happy so far, need some more stick time with it as it was really windy this morning.

Arcfyre

Elite member
For some reason my other pictures won't upload, but it flies really well. The balsa build has made it a bit tail heavy, even with a 3200mah battery. I anticipated this, and made the fuselage wide and deep enough to accommodate at 5000mah brick if necessary, but I haven't tried flying that yet.

The floats are a bit leaky, likely due to my learning curve with the covering film and the, ah "abrupt" arrivals suffered while flying the prototype. I will most likely have to rebuild them soon.