biplane wing placement suggestions

sundown57

Legendary member
Im looking to turn the old speedster into a biplane. I have already made a couple of them and some flew a lot better than others. My plan is to make the top wing 25% larger than the bottom wing. Should I keep the curve running the long way in the wing the same on both or more on the larger wing? Same question with the dihedral. Also should keep them square to each other or angle one up or down more than the other? Thanks

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Im looking to turn the old speedster into a biplane. I have already made a couple of them and some flew a lot better than others. My plan is to make the top wing 25% larger than the bottom wing. Should I keep the curve running the long way in the wing the same on both or more on the larger wing? Same question with the dihedral. Also should keep them square to each other or angle one up or down more than the other? Thanks
If you use dihedral and how you implement it is your choice and almost any configuration will fly. As for the wing planforms again almost anything will work and will fly.

You will need to calculate your CG or balance point for the pair of wings and normally the upper wing has a slightly greater angle of incidence, (only fractional) to help offset the effects of biplane interference!

Have fun!

sundown57

Legendary member
that pretty much fits with what I was thinking. I printed the plans for the old speedster at 75% and used the gauges of that size for the lower wing. then printed another wing at 100% and used the 100% gauges on that wing. now my plan is to just center them side to side and front to back.