Biplanes on the brains

fluffpilot

So.
I've had this idea kicking around a while and I thought I'd run it by you folks for cred.
What if I start with something like a FT Storch kit and make a second wing out of spare foam board at the house. Then trim a pocket into the bottom of the fuselage and mount a wing there, zip the "cabin" off the top and mutate an open-cockpit something or other into place, build a set of struts/braces out of popsicle sticks, foam, and possibly fishing line if stringers are needed. Maybe upsize the tail a bit for appearance/proportion, do full width ailerons on the top wing and flaps on the bottom. Narrow the lower wing a little (trim the ends back closer to the spars) so the upper wing stalls last, kludge some kind of landing gear on it and use something like a Power Pack C motor kit and a couple extra servos to run the whole scheme.
I've already got six channel electronics to work with so I can run all that and maybe a single bomb bay if I do it right.

If it works anything like how I'm thinking, it might be reasonably stable, should have outrageous amounts of lift, maybe probably not be aerobatic but with a big prop and a big fat spinner and some flashy paint be cool for some low `n slow scale flying.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Condolences?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So.
I've had this idea kicking around a while and I thought I'd run it by you folks for cred.
What if I start with something like a FT Storch kit and make a second wing out of spare foam board at the house. Then trim a pocket into the bottom of the fuselage and mount a wing there, zip the "cabin" off the top and mutate an open-cockpit something or other into place, build a set of struts/braces out of popsicle sticks, foam, and possibly fishing line if stringers are needed. Maybe upsize the tail a bit for appearance/proportion, do full width ailerons on the top wing and flaps on the bottom. Narrow the lower wing a little (trim the ends back closer to the spars) so the upper wing stalls last, kludge some kind of landing gear on it and use something like a Power Pack C motor kit and a couple extra servos to run the whole scheme.
I've already got six channel electronics to work with so I can run all that and maybe a single bomb bay if I do it right.

If it works anything like how I'm thinking, it might be reasonably stable, should have outrageous amounts of lift, maybe probably not be aerobatic but with a big prop and a big fat spinner and some flashy paint be cool for some low `n slow scale flying.

Just a tip! Ensure that the top wing has slightly more incidence than the bottom wing for best flight performance. (It has to do with "Biplane Interference").

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So.

Is the Storch not slow enough already, The mono wing on that is 60" and the long wing to tail moment should be plenty stable. This will be an interesting one, I am an intrigued follower. Build it, I wanna see the maiden (y):cool:(y)

fluffpilot

Well, guess I'm gonna start mocking up wings this weekend.
Curious to see if I'm gonna have to resize the fuselage to make the proportions work. I'll have to order all the parts I can't make here in the meantime (who fabricates servos I mean really?) and if anything comes together that doesn't look like a trash fire I'll post pics. :D

Is the Storch not slow enough already, The mono wing on that is 60"
My depth perception is sketchy at long distance and I'm dyslexic, slow planes are harder to crash :LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, guess I'm gonna start mocking up wings this weekend.
Curious to see if I'm gonna have to resize the fuselage to make the proportions work. I'll have to order all the parts I can't make here in the meantime (who fabricates servos I mean really?) and if anything comes together that doesn't look like a trash fire I'll post pics. :D

My depth perception is sketchy at long distance and I'm dyslexic, slow planes are harder to crash :LOL:
Gotcha, sorry didn't mean to come off like a jerk, was just surprised someone wanted to slow down the Storch lol.

I definitely want to see how your build goes and check out the maiden (y)

Myself I never really was into biplanes until I got into the hobby. Then I built a couple Minis and a modified Baby Blender. The SE5 was my first attempt but my flying skill weren't there yet and I couldn't make it work. It looked cool though. I had some success with the Mini Speedster and made a biplane out of that and then I went full hog on the Baby Blender with mods, so I thought until I found others who did the same lol
20190817_204223.jpg
20190815_222713.jpg

Have you done a biplane before?

fluffpilot

Not yet, been a long day just got in from working on the car. Gonna watch the new FT video and maybe cut a couple wings out.