Bird Attacks.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
:mad: We have all had it or at least seen it and I don't know about you but I have lost a plane because of the bird:mad:
So what do you do:
1. You Fly away-Naa boring and bird can follow
2. You land and wait for bird to go away-Na most of the time your there 1st
3. You combat it- If its small
4. You chop off its tail feathers with your prop-DO it! DO it! if its big and your a confident flyer.
Ok please don't do #4 that was a joke , DON"T go chopping birds... that's why there are guns(ok sorry thats a joke aswell)
Even today I was attacked by a large bird the size of a Ha-Di-Da ya its a bird in Southern Africa

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
In Australia we have magpies, that are very, very territorial birds, especially in spring (which in Canberra is more like August to November than the traditional 3 months...) during their nesting season. I ride a bicycle to work and really notice the extra month of getting whacked on the helmet by a testosterone fuelled divebomber.

However magpies add a lot of fun to flying. Especially with a nice, manoeuvrable plane like a flying wing. I've never hit one, but it's a lot of fun to turn the tables on them. I've come very close on occasion.

So far I've only crashed once because of a magpie, and that's with a plane I was re-maidening after a heavy crash. I didn't have enough trim to fix the ailerons, so I was carefully trying to loop the plane around for a landing. The magpie didn't care about my predicament and that I was having difficulty keeping the plane straight and level and hit it three times. The last sent the plane down to the ground and turned it into several foam pieces again.

SkySlayer

LOL at my old church there were these black birds(not sure of their name) who liked shiny things and would try to take your eyes out, they only ever gt 1 person on the eye but didn't take it the birds just scratched his eyelid.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
This is a video of my poor son being convinced that the Magpie that was attacking his plane wouldn't do it again if he flew his model higher . . but just in case, I decided to point the camera facing backwards :D He didn't enjoy this flight at all and refused to fly at my friends park because of this one bird. Mind you it doesn't seem to like TriCopters . . so that could be an option.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Great video bms and tell your son to keep up the good work so I can see more vids.

Thanks SkySlayer, my son is nuts over RC Aircraft . . not sure if the wife is too impressed with the number of purchases lol

I was a the biggest slope soaring event here in Australia which they hold at Camperdown in Victoria a few months back and I took a great photo of a Eagle Attacking a 3 meter glider . . talk about no fear! I really don't think you can do much about these birds. Its one distraction you don't really need hey lol

SkySlayer

Ya but sumtimz I wait for the crows to come then I fly because the call each other and soon you have up to 7 birds on your tail and above, Dive-bombing you. But if ya want a relaxing flight or its your maiden then ya it's a PAIN.

zonalklism

I have the normal size and the micro Stryker. The crows and buzzards around here absolutely despise them. They will actually leave the tree/carcass and come chase the plane. Though, with such nimble and fast planes, you can usually turn the tables and chase *them*, which is downright hilarious.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Where's the eagle picture?!
Thanks SkySlayer, my son is nuts over RC Aircraft . . not sure if the wife is too impressed with the number of purchases lol

I was a the biggest slope soaring event here in Australia which they hold at Camperdown in Victoria a few months back and I took a great photo of a Eagle Attacking a 3 meter glider . . talk about no fear! I really don't think you can do much about these birds. Its one distraction you don't really need hey lol

FXX

This is a video of my poor son being convinced that the Magpie that was attacking his plane wouldn't do it again if he flew his model higher . . but just in case, I decided to point the camera facing backwards :D He didn't enjoy this flight at all and refused to fly at my friends park because of this one bird. Mind you it doesn't seem to like TriCopters . . so that could be an option.

Awesome video, bit like a James Bond movie. The next one should be the revenge of the Kinetic ;)

SkySlayer

Yes that would be so kwl, bt if ur gna do that remember to turn the cam so we can see the tail feather chopping.

earthsciteach

I'm sure I've posted this on the forum before, but here's a Red Tailed Hawk sailplane that I am almost finished building. The intent is to get the Red Tails that nest on our school grounds to attack, capture that footage with onboard and ground cameras.

Attachments

• Hawk3.jpg
    Hawk3.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 28

earthsciteach

Yeah, me too! It will take me an hour tops to make it completely flight worthy. I just have to focus on it for that long! ADD strikes again!