Bird of Time - FoamyDM Version

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I spend the small time I had after a busy night working on the plane and started getting the wings taped up.
Inner sections:
IMG_20190628_004027542.jpg IMG_20190628_073245817.jpg
Then I took a few moments to put a Logo or 2 together
BoTLogo.PNG BoTDMLogo.PNG

Attachments

• BoTDMLogo.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BoTLogo.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok, dumb question...Do you have finished plans? I mentioned this project to some of the glider guys at my field yesterday, and their eyes lit up and went, "Umm...We um..we might want to build that!"

And these are guys who live and breathe balsa and fiberglass; foam is...well, it's "workable", but they kind of have a disdain for it because they don't think it's very strong. Then again, they saw my new Sea Duck yesterday, and loved it flying, so they're coming around to foam. :)

FoamyDM

I thought I made the picture a link. But a may have not because I wanted to build it and discover the obvious construction issues and fix them. Found a few so far. I fixed them in the drawing... But I'm not done building. My servo extensions and y connectors just came in.

FoamyDM

Progress pictures:
Putting a servo wire hole in the wing.
IMG_20190701_134933774.jpg IMG_20190701_142550708.jpg IMG_20190701_142556501.jpg
As you can see, the cf arrow shaft spar extends approx 6" out both sides to ensure the spar rest on the box spar base. The filler pieces are important to ensure transfer of load.
IMG_20190701_142731809.jpg IMG_20190701_142735927.jpg IMG_20190701_143107105.jpg
There was a small gap in the center.
IMG_20190701_143332684.jpg
Core/inner wing complete. It's making me very happy.
IMG_20190701_143531202.jpg IMG_20190701_143843414_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Now to the wing tips.
IMG_20190702_073101544.jpg IMG_20190702_072637506.jpg IMG_20190702_075003638.jpg IMG_20190702_075016583.jpg IMG_20190702_075136468.jpg
It's coming along. :)

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Progress pictures:
Putting a servo wire hole in the wing. View attachment 135102 View attachment 135103 View attachment 135104
As you can see, the cf arrow shaft spar extends approx 6" out both sides to ensure the spar rest on the box spar base. The filler pieces are important to ensure transfer of load.
View attachment 135105 View attachment 135106
View attachment 135107
There was a small gap in the center. View attachment 135108
View attachment 135109 View attachment 135110
Now to the wing tips.
View attachment 135097 View attachment 135098 View attachment 135099 View attachment 135100 View attachment 135101

Looking great so far. :) I will wait with bated breath to see the finished product. :)

L Edge

Master member
As far as colors are concerned, most glider underwings start turning a black color after 400 ft or so. For the see thru, little bit higher unless sun is shinning thru.

If you go above 1000 ft, use bright and contrasting colors for the top of the wing. Also, add a strip (3" or so) of silver color or rainbow reflection material to the wing tips. That way, if you lose site(and you will) , put the glider in a shallow circular turn so the sun will catch and reflect it to your eye.

At high altttudes, here is another tip-- I bring a lawn chair that allows you to snooze. I tip the back segment of the chair so my neck is facing upwards about 30 degrees, bring up one of my legs and then I hold the radio tx by my hands so my arms are placed on the arms of the chair. Now the radio is locked in position.

Tip is: 3 points make a straight line( knee, antenna, one eye) so you jockey them till you line up with the glider and now lock the 3 points as you track it's flight. If for some reason you falter and loose it, don't budge and just keep scanning until you find it. Your won't get caught with that high pucker factor.

FoamyDM

@L Edge - Thank you for these great tips. I don't think I understand the See through piece of it. can you clarify please?

I remember the pepper speck effect (FT-Simple Soarer in a Thermal). I will be putting on a 1.5-3" strip of reflective sparkle gift wrap on the leading edge of the wing. I will add a bit to the tips too.
And I will have to add tilt-back lawn lounge chair my field day items list.

Plans
are updated as I think I have built all the parts I'm worried about.
* Build at your own risk as I have not labeled anything. *

Wildthing

Legendary member
Progress pictures:
Putting a servo wire hole in the wing.
View attachment 135102 View attachment 135103 View attachment 135104
View attachment 135105 View attachment 135106 View attachment 135107
There was a small gap in the center.
View attachment 135108
View attachment 135109 View attachment 135110
Now to the wing tips.
View attachment 135097 View attachment 135098 View attachment 135099 View attachment 135100 View attachment 135101
That looks great, nice job :)

FoamyDM

Outer Wing sections are taped. Except the black trim.
I centered four servos.
IMG_20190702_232757082.jpg IMG_20190702_232802526.jpg
IMG_20190703_011405013.jpg

I hope I get the build finished tonight... It's looking good.

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge - Thank you for these great tips. I don't think I understand the See through piece of it. can you clarify please?

I remember the pepper speck effect (FT-Simple Soarer in a Thermal). I will be putting on a 1.5-3" strip of reflective sparkle gift wrap on the leading edge of the wing. I will add a bit to the tips too.
And I will have to add tilt-back lawn lounge chair my field day items list.

Plans
are updated as I think I have built all the parts I'm worried about.
* Build at your own risk as I have not labeled anything. *

Referring to the color monocotes that you can see thru rather than opaques.
Always bring glider and chair to field, so when a lot of weekend fliers show up, still allows you to get flying time in.

FoamyDM

I'm using 3M heavy duty tape for the clear parts it's thicker and heavier than I want but I'm nor too worried. I am using tape brothers colored packing tape for everything else which is Lighter.

FoamyDM

Added this below the Plan link to the first post:
"This Plan doesn't include an estimated CG of 4" behind wing Leading Edge. "

FoamyDM

I have nearly finished the build. But I'm on the road. And on vacation to Louisville KY, so i'm not sure how much more I'll finish before FF.
More update picks:
IMG_20190705_123435233.jpg

The tail went together well.
I need to add a servo platform for the plans. Also the motor didn't go all the way in... More picks to follow.

FoamyDM

I put this together at flightfest.

Here's a pic of the assembled wing and fuse.
IMG_20190713_122612226_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190713_122619004.jpg

Build notes. Added Ccard reinf. To the hole on both sides. To firm up the joint of the horiz. Stab holes.

I maidened it on Sat mid day when the wind was moderate but mostly a cross breeze. Got it balanced. With a 2200 3s and an 1800 3s for balast. With that I launched. The 3ch bird.

And had 3 fails. 1. No assembled glamour shots. 2. No vid. 3. No real flight. The cross wind caught the tip and turned it. I couldn't swing the tail back around in time. The low wing caught and it cart wheleed.

Comments: The tail glued in crooked. And it needed see stiffeners. To go from mid fuse back. (Possibly heat from the car?) I want to build the fuse in two interlocking top/bottom sections.i also will weight it. I'm curious how it turned out.

I'm not done. The wing held. With only the one CF rod. (I mislocated the 2 short wingtip rods).

FoamyDM

Oh a big reason for the lack of a re-go was the Motor shaft sheered off. While replaceable, ...Damn. o_O

I want this a project success. so... I have some cleaning and organizing as I rebuild/re launch. In the build tent I received a number of oohs, aahs, and compliments as well as wondering if it was the ARF or Kit. Respect and dubious-ness level increased when I indicated it was scratch built and all foam board.

A number of people own a Bird of Time, and the stories were varied, but overwhelmingly about how much people love(d) this plane :love:. A few expressed that it was a handful for them. I learned the tail has to be strong as there is a lot of force generated by this plane during flight... after discussing what I had designed in to safeguard against some of the concerns. Carbon Fiber placement seemed to avail most concerns. Most were skeptical but felt that it could work. The Tail rigidity and the boom's resistance to torque, and vertical forces seemed to be a BIG concern. To incorporate this, I will need to rebuild which I have to do after the crash.

I received a handful of interesting suggestions one was to buy a threaded rod and bend it to the dihedral angle and use to attach arrow head thread to arrow head tip of two CF arrows. I though about a cam wingtip attachment.

Side notes: I found the Carbon Fiber connector shafts, they were in the snack bag.:LOL:I got into a longer conversation regarding DND from my Avatar logo on the bottom wing. I want updates. if you see this, send me a PM your campaign story sounds great!

FoamyDM

Does anyone know how to setup an epoxy insert so I can remove the insert after the epoxy sets? (soap, wd-40?)

I want to epoxy around the arrow shaft but stick the arrow head in the resin. so I have a rigid tube and anchor point.

jfaleo1

Does anyone know how to setup an epoxy insert so I can remove the insert after the epoxy sets? (soap, wd-40?)

I want to epoxy around the arrow shaft but stick the arrow head in the resin. so I have a rigid tube and anchor point.

Most oils will work. Silicone sprays or grease will work too. There is a product called mold release for working composite molds. We used Dow DC4 a lot for small molds in aircraft damage assessment (damage impressions mostly).

FoamyDM

Since this has been added I worked in fixing the bent fuse using cf rod/tubes and balsa embedded and glued down the sides.
The biggest trick afterwords was to fit the massive 5000mah 3S. It is 2" wide, so it fit in the cavity for the pod, but not in the pod itself. It sat on the shelf but that pushed it further back towards the CG, needing more counter weight.
Checked servos .. all good.
Nose weight - 1lb, 1.2oz. 485.
IMG_20200101_183416068.jpg IMG_20200101_183420123.jpg
With that I went for the maiden:
First launch: @0:34
Second launch: @3:52
Pay attention to the commentary by myself and the guys in the field just after I launched. you'll notice the propeller goes in and out after the first one partly because I was trying to save the porpoising the craft is doing after dropping the one pound nose weight.
The second one as I was bringing it around the folding wingtips one of them the tape gave way and it folded causing it to awkwardly come to a nose first plants into the dirt. About 3" in:LOL:.

While I was sad I couldn't fly it for a while, I am now confidant about the responsive flyer and where she balances. This is a great flyer. With the 10" C-pack 3S motor system. She could easily ease/fly upward.

Damage: nose split - fix with tape. Cracked servo arm... Use only one servo.
Cracked h stab spars. Pod was crumpled. Broken folding prop.

Relatively minor damages.