Bird of Time - FoamyDM Version

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have updated post 1 with the Maiden video.

I looked up the battery, it was 404g. That is nearly 2lb (885g)) added Nose Weight. :eek:
Is that normal? ↑
Looking great so far. :) I will wait with bated breath to see the finished product. :)
For the most part... I'm finished. I'm adjusting for a slightly wider nose section, adding a CG Mark, and the full stats for this model, including weight.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Is that normal? ↑
Is that much ballast normal? It certainly can be for a bird of that size. The only airplane I have near that big is the Apollo ARF glider with a 72" wingspan. Empty she weighs 2.5 lbs. An 8 oz battery barely fits in the nose and it needs another 8 oz of lead for ballast. AUW is about 3.5 lbs. It flew well at that weight though I have removed a couple of ounces of lead to move the CG back. The weight helps to keep the airspeed up and doesn't hurt the glide.

FoamyDM

Some Flight Shots
OuttoSea.PNG OuttoSea2.PNG OFFandAway2.PNG OFFandAway.PNG Away.PNG
Plan submitted as a resource. (Updated in Post 1)
CADdwgv1.0.PNG
A new item:
AssemblyDrawing.PNG

FoamyDM

Is that much ballast normal? It certainly can be for a bird of that size. The only airplane I have near that big is the Apollo ARF glider with a 72" wingspan. Empty she weighs 2.5 lbs. An 8 oz battery barely fits in the nose and it needs another 8 oz of lead for ballast. AUW is about 3.5 lbs. It flew well at that weight though I have removed a couple of ounces of lead to move the CG back. The weight helps to keep the airspeed up and doesn't hurt the glide.
Thank you! that is a big help. (mentally)

FoamyDM

Ok, dumb question...Do you have finished plans? I mentioned this project to some of the glider guys at my field yesterday, and their eyes lit up and went, "Umm...We um..we might want to build that!"

:)
Sprouts this is ready

Yusernaym

I'm curious, Is anyone looking to build this guy?
I just got plans printed yesterday - even splurged and had them done full size at a local office supply store. I'm planning on starting the build today, though I am a little worried about the difficulty of the build. The hardest builds I've done so far were the FT Edge and Commuter, and this project looks to involve some more difficult techniques than those, especially in the tail section. I'm really glad you have this project available, as my friend is (understandably) not willing to sell his bird of time, and you can't find them anywhere. I had a couple of questions before I get started, which will probably get figured out as I go, but I might as well ask ahead of time. Is the central angle of the wings small enough to fit a proper carbon spar? My local hobby shop sells roughly 4-foot sections of tubing and box section carbon, and I want to make my wing one solid, light piece, with my usual long strips of packing tape along the bottom. Second, I'm thinking about skipping the ailerons, just to keep it simple and a little lighter, and I was wondering if you've made a 3-channel, and if so, how well it handled. Aside from that, I'm mostly just really looking forward to the build. One last thing - the foam. I can't find 20x30 foam in the right thickness at my local office supply or crafts stores, and my hobby shop still only has the brown flite test foam, which I don't particularly like, as I would have to paint it, which would add a decent amount of weight on this size of plane. Where do you get your foam, and what kind is it? Okay, that's a lot, but I am quite excited for the build, and would appreciate some help. Thanks again for having this available.

Yusernaym

I just got plans printed yesterday - even splurged and had them done full size at a local office supply store. I'm planning on starting the build today, though I am a little worried about the difficulty of the build. The hardest builds I've done so far were the FT Edge and Commuter, and this project looks to involve some more difficult techniques than those, especially in the tail section. I'm really glad you have this project available, as my friend is (understandably) not willing to sell his bird of time, and you can't find them anywhere. I had a couple of questions before I get started, which will probably get figured out as I go, but I might as well ask ahead of time. Is the central angle of the wings small enough to fit a proper carbon spar? My local hobby shop sells roughly 4-foot sections of tubing and box section carbon, and I want to make my wing one solid, light piece, with my usual long strips of packing tape along the bottom. Second, I'm thinking about skipping the ailerons, just to keep it simple and a little lighter, and I was wondering if you've made a 3-channel, and if so, how well it handled. Aside from that, I'm mostly just really looking forward to the build. One last thing - the foam. I can't find 20x30 foam in the right thickness at my local office supply or crafts stores, and my hobby shop still only has the brown flite test foam, which I don't particularly like, as I would have to paint it, which would add a decent amount of weight on this size of plane. Where do you get your foam, and what kind is it? Okay, that's a lot, but I am quite excited for the build, and would appreciate some help. Thanks again for having this available.
I should add that one of the main reasons I'm worried about the build is that it would be my first real scratch build from plans instead of a kit, which adds some difficulty, and another question: is it best to cut out the sections of plans and match the foam to those, or freehand the foam until it agrees with the plans?

FoamyDM

I haven't been purposefully avoiding you. I wanted to make sure I had some answers.
I have only built the prototype. It started as a 3 channel and a HUGE gust on maiden did the motor in. so before I tried again, I did on the Wing -the center di-hedral angle is a small (~3°) it can accept a CF arrow Shaft The outer wings are the trouble makers for me. the original uses Aluminum and ply spar joiners. This is where mine failed. I had mine so the outer tips folded in. However it might be simpler and a sturdier design to just build each wing half and insert the 24"shaft guides on front and back of the spar.

Yusernaym

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm mostly done with the fuselage, just leaving the stabilizers. For the center of the wing, I got a 40" length of small box section carbon, and I already have some strips of carbon to reinforce the outer wings. I'm also considering an easier tail setup, with tape hinges instead of the rotating horizontal stabilizer and wire hinge for the rudder that the plans call for. Aside from all of that, I'm just looking forward to getting her up in the air. Your plans have actually been fairly easy to follow since I got going. I'll keep you updated if I have trouble with anything, but it's been surprisingly straightforward so far.

FoamyDM

I'm glad Someone else is building this. The rotating Stab Add a LOT of control for small adjustments. However post details here please on what you are doing with the tape hinge and the build in general I REALLY want to see how it's coming. if you have a build log of your own here, please link It I want to see your progress and cheer you on. I used a BBQ skewer for the Vert Stab hinge (lighter is better here). It was an experimental hinging method (which has done OK so far.) that I thought might be better suited for this larger bird. Stiffness in the Stab, and a tighter flow of air.

Your plans have actually been fairly easy to follow since I got going. I'll keep you updated if I have trouble with anything, but it's been surprisingly straightforward so far.
I'm happy to hear it has been easy to follow and straightforward. There are a number of newer / more advanced build techniques used, like the rolled fuse and the rotating Horizontal Stab. I tried to document them well. Please keep us all posted (with photos, and a Flight video). Did the assembly diagram help. (such a hand sketch)

There was a V2 of the Balsa that dropped the servo RIGHT in the Tail, and it used a SHORT pushrod for the rotation.
Warning: I specifically had 1 lb of ballast in the nose to Fly the maiden... 1LB! [2.2kg](still flew like a gentle kitten) the CG is spot on. Get it to balance and you will have a great experience.

Yusernaym

the assembly drawing has been pretty helpful, it makes it a lot easier to see how things fit together. I put some amount of lead (didn't measure, guessing between 1/2 and 3/4lb) directly behind the firewall, which, on the incomplete fuselage, puts the cg pretty far forward. I'm not sure about how it'll balance when it's all put together, so the fuse is just taped right now, so I can go back and adjust if it's the wrong amount once I mock it up with the wing. As for a build log, I don't have one, but I'm not far in, so I can start taking progress pictures when I have time to work on it. If and when I start a log, I'll link it in a new reply here. I've been busy with school and work, so it's been a slow process, but I'll get there. In the meantime, I'm thinking about going out and buying a radian soon both to get some stick time on a glider and feel out a proven model, and because I think the two piece removable wing makes it a good candidate for packing out to slope soar. edit: apparently attaching the image did work, so there's the weight behind the firewall.

Attachments

• 20200911_135638_HDR.jpg
    20200911_135638_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0