• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bixler 2 FPV Build

earthsciteach

Moderator
Moderator
#2
Looks good! The only thing that bugs me (and this is not specific to your build) is the far from aerodynamic installation of the camera and vid transmitter. I know there are physical limitations with the stock plane. Have you considered shaping a fairing from foam to clean up the camera and tx?
 

PaulT

New member
Mentor
#3
Great blog. With all the mods that you have done, along with the increased weight (auw @ 1.1 kgs which is only 11 oz above the stock specs from HK), have you done anything to beef up the wing spar or added reinforcement cf in the fuselage?
 

Chris

Living the dream!
#4
Great blog. With all the mods that you have done, along with the increased weight (auw @ 1.1 kgs which is only 11 oz above the stock specs from HK), have you done anything to beef up the wing spar or added reinforcement cf in the fuselage?
not yet, but I am not happy with how flexible the wings are right now. I will be taking it easy on the maiden flights, but I have ordered some 4mm carbon rod to slip inside the existing hollow spar.

thanks for the suggestion :)
 

earthsciteach

Moderator
Moderator
#5
One quick and easy thing to reduce wing flex is to run tape (I use clear packaging tape) the length of the wings, top and bottom. It does help!
 

Chris

Living the dream!
#6
Have you considered shaping a fairing from foam to clean up the camera and tx?
I have ordered 2 x spare canopies, I would like to build my next "pod" with all the electronics within the space enclosed by the clear plastic... with just the camera lens sticking out. Also I'd like to be able to have my GoPro on board at some point... without hacking the foam out from the nose like many have done.
 

Chris

Living the dream!
#7
One quick and easy thing to reduce wing flex is to run tape (I use clear packaging tape) the length of the wings, top and bottom. It does help!
I have now installed some CF rod (2mm) into the horizontal stabilizer, and down the recess where the rudder pushrod used to be. CA'd into place and taped over with crossweave fibre tape. The tail is now very stiff with little added weight.

The 4mm rod arrived and has been glued into the existing spar, I've also ran a single length of this cross weave fibre tape along the bottom of both wings (over the spar foam strip) and already the wings seem to flex less. I'm still waiting on some carbon strips though for even more stiffness and strength. with the power setup I have on there now, this is starting to feel like a warmlinerFPV Bixler2 :)