Bixler 2 Wing Configuration (Assembly)

MJGravina

"Doc" Gravina
In the many threads I have been reading and checking out over the last few weeks, it seems that the original Bixler glider did have some issues with the wings separating, even to the point where some installed them permanently.

Looking specifically at the Bixler second generation, I noticed a lot of different fixes and setups by folks. From using magnets, to the usual screw at the bottom, or even the permanent attachment of the wings to the fuselage.

While I'd love to be able to dissasemble the wings for proper storage and transport on the model, I also do not want to have to experience some of the weird issues that have been reported.

From those who own the Bixler 2, what would you suggest are the best steps to set up the wing?
At this point all I know for sure is to replace the stock rod with a 6mm Carbon rod, for added strength and functionality.
Is the standard setup improved and good enough in the Bix 2?

Thanks for any links and comments.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The standard setup is acceptable. There is nothing defective about it. That being said, I think it can be improved upon. First, the stock wings are pretty flexy, and they can be stiffened up a bit, which you have done. Second, the screws are an absolute PITA to get in. At least, they were for me. I just could not get the screw holes lined up for the life of me. Third, if you have a crash where the wings are held in by the screws, the tabs that the screws go through may break off. Personally, I glued in rare earth magnets to hold the wings together. This is more than secure enough for even the most aggressive aerobatics that I ever fly, but if I crash the plane, the magnets pull loose and prevent damage.

You can see how I did my mod here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40-_hAdnqs