Help! Bixler 3 or FT Explorer

PoorManRC

Master member
Ft Explorer. You gain the Skills of Building it yourself. It's much cheaper. It's got a WIDE flight envelope, starting with a 2S, 3 Channel slow flying Trainer - all the way to a 4S, 4 Channel Aerobatic Aircraft!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Which of these two planes would you recommend and why? What is your advice?
Either would be an excellent choice as a trainer. @PoorManRC makes an excellent point, the explorer is cheaper and will allow you to build. When you crash, and you will, building skills will be use to repair or rebuild your plane.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Both are AWESOME! but I will have to agree with PoormanRC that the BUILD experience that you get with the explorer is going to be invaluable moving forward! ;)

Hope this helps and enjoy flying my friend!

Blessings,
Stefan

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Make sure to beef up the wing spar with a paint stick or two across the middle;)( unless you want to see something spectacular, such as a plane with folded wings plummeting straight downo_O) I don’t have any experience with the explorer but I see a lot of people who have trouble with the wings folding.

Mortis

I have both a Bix 3 and have made several FT Explorers. Both my Bix & Explorers use the same battery (2200mah) and motor (Turnigy D2836 1100KV) with a 9" prop. I have been very happy with both but I do seem to get a little more power out of the Bix; it has a much easier time doing loops.

When I'm out in the field though I tend to gravitate more towards the Explorer. I just really love this plane and I get all giddy when I see something I made actually flying through the air.

Having had the Explorer wings fold on me, I flatten the wing and use a wooden dowel for a spar. I'm working on another explorer right now and can take a picture of what I mean if you like.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
After building the explorer twice I would definitely have to say that its the way to go. The wings folded on both of them (one during a combat) but its an easy to repair plane and by the time you are done building it you will know all the ins and outs of the thing.

PoorManRC

Master member
Don't want to dishearten you, thinking that it will be fragile...
The Central Wing is the weak point.

Just Glue a Paint Stirrer (or two) to the inside of the Wing, across the mating point (KNOWN weak spot on many long Wingspan Aircraft). You'll be fine!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

I have owned and flown both.

The Bix is a reasonably light plane which has solid handling and is very easy to fly if you already know how. It is not a combat plane but it does glide well and can give great flight times and can be modified for FPV easily, plenty of articles on line to show how.

The explorer is generally heavier it does have a few weakness and it cannot fly as sweetly as the bix. However it is a solid enough design and if your flight experience is very limited it is cheap enough to repair considering you just make your own parts or replacement.

My recommendation is to get BOTH and compare for yourself.

I still have my bix which I use to buddy box for those who are already flying, (can fly their Tiny Trainer quite competently and they wish to move up to a more capable design. Note: My bix has been altered for greater speed and has quite large control deflections for better control at low speed and greater speed/acceleration.

Whatever you decide it is something you need to live with. Best way to avoid a wrong choice is to get both!

have fun!

Om0r A.

Don't want to dishearten you, thinking that it will be fragile...
The Central Wing is the weak point.

Just Glue a Paint Stirrer (or two) to the inside of the Wing, across the mating point (KNOWN weak spot on many long Wingspan Aircraft). You'll be fine!
Would a carbon fiber rod work? Also, could you link some paint stirrers and a video or article of how to do this?

Om0r A.

I have both a Bix 3 and have made several FT Explorers. Both my Bix & Explorers use the same battery (2200mah) and motor (Turnigy D2836 1100KV) with a 9" prop. I have been very happy with both but I do seem to get a little more power out of the Bix; it has a much easier time doing loops.

When I'm out in the field though I tend to gravitate more towards the Explorer. I just really love this plane and I get all giddy when I see something I made actually flying through the air.

Having had the Explorer wings fold on me, I flatten the wing and use a wooden dowel for a spar. I'm working on another explorer right now and can take a picture of what I mean if you like.
Yes please and thank you!