Bixler Control Horns

moffettman

Hey all,

Shortly after I received by Bixler 1 in the mail, Hobbyking released the Bixler 1.1. One of the complaints I had read on the forums about the Bixler was how the control horns were easy to break. It looks like they made them better on the 1.1, but I am still stuck with the ones on the Bixler 1. Do you guys have any suggestions for making the control horns on the Bixler 1 more secure or sturdy?

Thanks!

Rob

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey all,

Shortly after I received by Bixler 1 in the mail, Hobbyking released the Bixler 1.1. One of the complaints I had read on the forums about the Bixler was how the control horns were easy to break. It looks like they made them better on the 1.1, but I am still stuck with the ones on the Bixler 1. Do you guys have any suggestions for making the control horns on the Bixler 1 more secure or sturdy?

Thanks!

Rob

You have several options:

1. You replace them with better ones. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8419&aff=524347

2. You reglue the stock ones, as the weakest point is the cheap glue they used to put them there in the first place.

3. You make your own control horns.

moffettman

So the main issue is with the cheap glue? Ok cool, I think I will just re-glue them then. Thanks for the tip!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So the main issue is with the cheap glue? Ok cool, I think I will just re-glue them then. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, they are poorly glued to the control surfaces. You should use a lot of hotglue to get a firm grip. Remove all of the old glue first!

The stock horns are good enough for flying. If you take a hit directly on a control surface they might break, but otherwise you'll be fine.

If you ever put a camera or more expensive gear on it, you should definitely consider replacing the horns!

moffettman

So you would rather use hot glue over an epoxy that works on plastic / foam?

As always, thanks for the help. I bought this plane based on recommendation from you and others.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
the weak part on the stock control horns are the Pins that attach on the horn itself; i broke mine when i disassembled to execise the hinges

earthsciteach

Yeah, like KK said, be careful of the "snap in" clevis pins. I've broken more than I care to think about. Hot glue is ok for attaching the control horns, but make sure you glob it on top of the control horn plate and spread it out over onto the foam as well as between the control horn and foam. Epoxy is much better!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Epoxy is much better!

Noooo. Hot glue all the way ;) Unless you have a slightly flexible epoxy. Most epoxies are far too rigid and shatter under stress (which RC planes are good at creating). I find I have had to re-glue pretty much everything I did with epoxy after around around 8-12 months. Hot glue attachments from then are as solid as ever, unless exposed to extremely hot weather (>36 degrees C).

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
May I add extremely cold weather?(>32f) Which we have a ton that is more like >10f I always have joints that breakup in this weather!

earthsciteach

Noooo. Hot glue all the way ;) Unless you have a slightly flexible epoxy. Most epoxies are far too rigid and shatter under stress (which RC planes are good at creating). I find I have had to re-glue pretty much everything I did with epoxy after around around 8-12 months. Hot glue attachments from then are as solid as ever, unless exposed to extremely hot weather (>36 degrees C).

The foam is the flexible part! CA will shatter like glass, but I've never had epoxy fail! Hot glue strength is very dependent on surface finish. If the surface is smooth, it will peel off without effort.