Bixler landing gear buildup ideas

ky3orr

RC newbie
Rcplaneguy You did really good! :)
Did You used some landing kit or just some wire and wheels (DIY generally)?

colorex I have now no connection between wings. I thought about glueing some plastic hangers and use of rubber band. But now I see that veltros are much easy to attach and lock. Those on pictures are going from one wing to another in one piece or are cut in half and attached to fuselage somehow?
You'd just put them and they fit or You had to create some extra space in fuselage?

Rcplaneguy

Minnesota Flyer
Rcplaneguy You did really good! :)
Did You used some landing kit or just some wire and wheels (DIY generally)?

I Made a custom wood mounting plate and glued it to the inside of the fues. I then took my HZ Super Cub landing gear and screwed em in! Worked great! :applause:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
colorex I have now no connection between wings. I thought about glueing some plastic hangers and use of rubber band. But now I see that veltros are much easy to attach and lock. Those on pictures are going from one wing to another in one piece or are cut in half and attached to fuselage somehow?
You'd just put them and they fit or You had to create some extra space in fuselage?

The ones stuck to the fuselage are the soft velcro (important), they go all the way through in one piece. The other strips (the rough velcro) are cut just where needed. I used single-sided velcro.

If you have more questions, just ask; if you want more photos, ask as well. :)

jd7792

I am in the exact place as you are. I'm new to RC planes, using the Skysurfer (also called Bixler) and I'm on the second plane after writing the first one off to a very messy landing! I searched Youtube looking for ideas and came across a bloke calling himself "mmerry". He has put a series of videos on Youtube covering a few ideas for modifying his Bixler. Some ideas seem very good, some may be not so good, but either way well worth a watch. Start by using the following search and follow them to where you want to stop.
Good luck with the maiden, I hope this will help!!! -
"Sky Surfer and Bixler RC Plane Build Supplement Part1"

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have seen those videos. IMO the most important mod is to cover the plane with tape. Next, come the change of aileron horns, loosening the ailerons, and the carbon reinforcing.

I have only done the tape mod, the new control horns, and the wing straps shown above.

jd7792

Colorex......

From all the reading I have done lately I must be the only person to have purchased anything from Bananahobby with no problems (In fact very happy with the service!) But one really cool thing I have noticed is that they have done away with the need to glue, tape or rubber band the main wings in place. they now come with reinforced screw holes and long screws that lock the wings in place from the top of the plane, just in front of the motor mount. It only takes about 30 secs to take the wings off for transport if needed or if the unthinkable should happen and you CRASH the plane breaking the wings!

IMG_0971.JPG

I am really impressed. In fact the first plane has now gone to a better place after arguing with the local park, but both wings are living on in the second plane. A very cool feature! Of course they also went one better by producing a cockpit with a detailed pilot figure.

IMG_0969.JPG

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Colorex......

From all the reading I have done lately I must be the only person to have purchased anything from Bananahobby with no problems (In fact very happy with the service!) But one really cool thing I have noticed is that they have done away with the need to glue, tape or rubber band the main wings in place. they now come with reinforced screw holes and long screws that lock the wings in place from the top of the plane, just in front of the motor mount. It only takes about 30 secs to take the wings off for transport if needed or if the unthinkable should happen and you CRASH the plane breaking the wings!

It looks quite good, and is probably easier too - but the good thing about Velcro is that it gives way in case of a crash! Ask me how I know :p

I hit the wing into a post today, thanks to the tape on the LE and the velcro, nothing bad happened. The wing had a slight crack, but nothing a little bit of UHU Por and tape couldn't fix.

jd7792

Hey guys
Today was the day, I got the Maiden Flight up and going. The biggest issue was that although it was the planes maiden, it was more importantly mine. Had a few rough flights that ended up alright but a great point was the very first take off left my hand and nose dived straight into the ground. The problem was the channels were the wrong way around.
HOWEVER:
The discovery was how worth the taped and re-enforced front end that I took the time to put together. When I looked at the nose you could still see there was a little crincling, but without the tape re-enforcement it would have shattered.

Take my advise use some string enforced packaging tape and make the nose as strong as you can!

Good Luck

jd7792

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey guys
Today was the day, I got the Maiden Flight up and going. The biggest issue was that although it was the planes maiden, it was more importantly mine. Had a few rough flights that ended up alright but a great point was the very first take off left my hand and nose dived straight into the ground. The problem was the channels were the wrong way around.
HOWEVER:
The discovery was how worth the taped and re-enforced front end that I took the time to put together. When I looked at the nose you could still see there was a little crincling, but without the tape re-enforcement it would have shattered.

Take my advise use some string enforced packaging tape and make the nose as strong as you can!

Good Luck

jd7792

Very true. My Bixler too took a nose hit and the tape did it's magic. Worth the investment 200%!

ky3orr

RC newbie
Wow! Rcplaneguy I am impressed.
Really as simple as it can be.

This landing gear looks durable.

Great job.

regards

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I just got my Bixler and these parts, I am planning on putting a big wheel on each wing and the tail wheel on the back, sound good?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4350
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4681

That will look like an airliner :) You won't be able to use the nose wheel. The wing gear will leave about 1-2" clearance to the ground, so you might need some standoffs. Other than that, hurry up, there's only one in stock!

Rcplaneguy

Minnesota Flyer
Wow! Rcplaneguy I am impressed.
Really as simple as it can be.

This landing gear looks durable.

Great job.

regards
VERY durable! And quite cheap too! I have to glue them in because it's nice having breakaway gear on a hard landing so I don't wreck the bottom.
- Sam