BIxler Motor

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
The Main Reason i did this, its because i didnt wanted the motor to be GLUED INTO THE PLANE, this way i can remove it and replace when needed.

1 - Ill glue the 2 strips of white rubber (bottom of the pic) to those side channels on the motor mount.

2 - I measured the pvc tube to its lenght and Diameter and cut in the size of the nacelle. test the position of the motor mount and made 2 holes on each side.

3- Fix the Motor in the Wooden mount, use 2 drops of locktite on the tip of each screw.(ofc the part that goes IN the motor)

4- Shaved the excess of foam on the nacelle (Motor Mount Lodging), sanded and risked the pvc tube to adhere more to the epoxi.

5- Pierce THROUGH the FUSE with 4 screws holding the Motor in place and let the epoxi dry. (use a pin or needle from inside out to mark the place of the 4 holes - dont really need to do this with the motor attached)

MAKE SURE YOU TIGHT EACH SCREW little by little so you get a proper motor aligment.

6- not sure yet but i might do a protective cover where the 2 screws goes into the nacelle.

I know you like pictures :D

Enjoy !

2012-01-14 17.35.37.jpg 2012-01-14 17.37.32.jpg 2012-01-14 17.37.56.jpg

You have my MSN, andre !!

Last edited:

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
revising my design i noticed that those 2 carvings on the side are for ventilation / cooling of the motor;

since my motor will stand fully OUTSIDE the motor casing i think will be no warming issues.

what do you experienced Bixler owners think ?? i can always strip that glued rubber away and use the 4 screws only ...

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
I wonder what moving the thrust point back will have to do with balance in flight, and maybe more important, on launch?

it moves hardly the size of the motor itself, only 26 mm, the pvc casing fits fully inside the nacelle; i have seen motors mounted outside the Bixler before and never heard of bad tendencies. thanks for pointing that out ... ill research about it.

CG needs to be adjusted of course.

Nogas

Hi All, new to flitetest forum.:D

Hi KKArioKA, I have fitted the same motor to my Bixler, WOW is all i can say! big improvement over stock. Get ready for unlimited vertical and make sure you upgrade the stock wing spar.

I'm a bit confused on why you think you need to do all this, no need to do anything other than screw the motor to the wooden motor mount. and connect it all up. Job done.

If you find the motor touches the foam just trim away the foam so that there is atleast 3mm of clearance all around. You only glue the wooden mount in so the motor will spin freely. If you hang a motor this heavy out the back like that it will make getting the CG right harder. I am finding its just on the edge of tail heavy with this motor and a 2200 20C lipo (washers removed) jammed as far forward as possible.

The grooves in the motor mount are imperative for cooling. i even trimmed the foam away to allow for more airflow to the motor and it still gets warm, so you really dont want them blocked.

Good luck with the maiden, you'll love the Bixler.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
welcome to the forum Nogas !

already glued it all up ... so ill have to test it !! anyway, thank you for your inputs, they are valuable tips that ill pay attention in the assembly and maiden, today i was trimming the ailerons and broke 1 of the control horns so i had to replace it .... also i have to finish my home-made aileron Y cable since it doesnt came in the KIT and HK has it on backorder !!!! I hope i can fly tomorrow :(

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
someone copied my design and improved the positioning of the mounting :D

nice piece of craft there !!

cpmboy

Hi folks,

I was thinking of making an extension wire for the stock motor and just connect it with the existing motor wire. What is the AWG value for the stock motor wire and it is this possible to do?...

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
AWG 14 or 16 will do; in fact i did in mine ... lemme search for some pics...

Mine ended up a lil longer than i needed; it was hard to tuck them in later, mind that when measuring

2012-01-16 18.48.13.jpg

PS:found it ..

Last edited:

cpmboy

thx man....I have that already....now looking for wires........o ya...your motor is the turnigy one right?...

cpmboy

already have the prop.....just waiting for the motor...but for now, going to maiden it with the stock motor

PaulT

Mentor
Here's my latest upgrade to my FPV Bixler setup.

IMG_1274.jpg

Bought a $15.95 motor mount from Small Parts CNC .
Can't say enough good things about this company, prompt and extremely good quality.
http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108

Motor is a NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200KV
6x4 prop at 11.1V / 310W / 28.0A / 0.945kg thrust
Also bumped up the ESC to a Turnigy Plush 40.

Very happy so far.
It took about three hours to do the conversion, but now I can switch motors and props pretty easily.
Balances the planes CG almost perfectly with my FPV gear and two batteries up front where they should be.

Last edited:

cpmboy

Here's my latest upgrade to my FPV Bixler setup.

IMG_1274.jpg

Bought a $15.95 motor mount from Small Parts CNC .
Can't say enough good things about this company, prompt and extremely good quality.
http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108

Motor is a NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200KV
6x4 prop at 11.1V / 310W / 28.0A / 0.945kg thrust
Also bumped up the ESC to a Turnigy Plush 40.

Very happy so far.
It took about three hours to do the conversion, but now I can switch motors and props pretty easily.
Balances the planes CG almost perfectly with my FPV gear and two batteries up front where they should be.
done installing mine (motor mount) but no flying yet. Btw, what is the black dot thing on the sides of the motor mount?...is that screws?

PaulT

Mentor
Yes they are screws. Didn't like just glueing the mount in the nacele so I
drilled and tapped to a 4-40 size and used a plastic strip on the outside to spread the holding force.
I diEld this on both sides.