Bixler Wing-how to hold it together?

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
So after getting in my second (i know, slacking) flight on my bixler, i was paranoid the whole flight as the wings seemed to be getting further and further apart. The manual does tell you to glue it and the outside of the box says it's a 2 piece wing (pointlessly put if you have to glue it). Anyway i was just wondering if there is a way of modding the wing so it is removable and will stay together. I have heard of people putting on those 3M hooks and using an elastic band, but i wasnt 100% sure if they would work

thanks
tom

Klonas

I'm not exactly sure how the Bixler's wings come together but maybe you could try strong velcro in the place where wings join.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
there are lots of ways to ensure that the wings will stay in place.

The simplest is to use plastic tape - "electrical tape" but white if you want it neat.
You need to get new tape every time. The tape shold go half way on the wing and half way on the fuselage.

I assumt that you have a wing spar and can drill a small hole through the wing and spar on both sides of the fuselage. A pin or screw will fix the wing halves to the spar.

Rare earth magnets or velcro as suggested are other ways.

PaulT

Mentor
I use magnets and clear duct tape. The magnets alone are good but
I still don't trust them 100% when doing high G maneuvers.

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
i see where you are getting at with that picture but it would never work in the plane. The trouble is the part of the wing where you need to put that velcro through is extremely snug, i couldnt even get tape through, let alone velcro. Thanks, but as i say, it would be too difficult. When you get your bixler you will see what i mean ;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
i see where you are getting at with that picture but it would never work in the plane. The trouble is the part of the wing where you need to put that velcro through is extremely snug, i couldnt even get tape through, let alone velcro. Thanks, but as i say, it would be too difficult. When you get your bixler you will see what i mean ;)

If you don't mind me telling you: SANDPAPER!

I know it sounds harsh to your new plane, but what is better than a little less weight! Your decision though.

serial0l0

"Say what again..."
I used 3m command micro hooks. Two on each wing and rubber bands. When the wings were out I had a piece of carbon fiber stuck through the fuse that I could connect the rubber bands to. Worked really well.

edit:// Just in case you haven't found a way in the last 3 months. ;) Just saw the date on this thread.

Last edited:

amba

Here's the method I used on my good old EasyStar... worked quite well.
You'll need ~30cm of fiber reinforced tape, and some adhesive Velcro.

Cheers :)

TrueBuild

Wires

Here's the method I used on my good old EasyStar... worked quite well.
You'll need ~30cm of fiber reinforced tape, and some adhesive Velcro.

Cheers :)

Nice job, you even have the wires attaching outside the fuselage!
The wires are another difficulty with assembling the wings especially if you have flaps.

Still worried about the Velcro holding; however, I have a 3D model that has rubber bands holding the two wing halves together so perhaps I should not worry about the Velcro.