Bixler2 Servo Wires

cheeseywhiz

Do I need to get servo extension wires for the Bixler 2? I got the kit version with the Turnigy 9g servos and the wires were very short. If I got the extra wires, the connectors would not fit into the little track in the wing. This is my very first plane, so I don't know a lot.

photo 1.JPG

Picture demonstrating the length of the wire.

photo 2.JPG

Picture demonstrating what the cover looks like.

photo 3.JPG

Picture demonstrating what the cover should look like (servos removed.)

RoyBro

Mentor
I too bought the kit version. But rather than buying extensions, I simply cut the end off the servo wire and spliced in an extension. The channel they provide for routing the wires is somewhat narrow. But If you prefer to use extensions be sure to make the connection permanent. Part of the structural strength of the wing is provided by gluing the foam insert into that channel. Get really long extensions so that you can route them down through the fuselage and put the receiver where you want.

Also, if you notice, the cut-outs for the flap servos are oriented just like the aileron servo cut-outs, which is just wrong. So if you choose to install servos for the flaps, and it appears that you have, you'll either need to use two channels on your radio and mix them so they work the flaps correctly, or use a Y cable and a servo reverser inline with one of the servos. I chose to do the latter.

robschonk

You can pull out the old wire, use a hobby knife to widen/deepen the slots, insert both wires, then re-glue.

cheeseywhiz

Also, if you notice, the cut-outs for the flap servos are oriented just like the aileron servo cut-outs, which is just wrong. So if you choose to install servos for the flaps, and it appears that you have, you'll either need to use two channels on your radio and mix them so they work the flaps correctly, or use a Y cable and a servo reverser inline with one of the servos. I chose to do the latter.

I have the dx5e which was the servo reversers on the transmitter, will that work?

What length do you recommend for the extensions?

Gryf

I just used regular servo extensions and carved out a bit of material to make room for the join. once I glued in the filler strip, it's invisible anyway. And like RoyBro, I used a servo reverser for the flaps. Works great!

Gryf

joshuabardwell

Mentor
On my Bixler 2, the included servos had wires just long enough to get to the end of the wings, so no surgery was required. I added some 6" extensions, to get to the cockpit.