Bixler's Pietenpol

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Who thinks it would be awesome if Flite Test made a Pietenpol based of Josh's out of balsa, and even more importantly, made it available on the store? I think it would give more publicity to the balsa/dark side of R/C flight (or should I say flite) and it would be cool for Bixler.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are probably more then a few balsa models out there that can be built and modded to mimic Josh's personal plane. I think the point of FT and the store is cost effective and inexpensive ways to get into the hobby. I am not saying its a bad idea and maybe they are even working balsa builds in at some point but the current business model goes away from balsa builds. Or are you asking that they carry a prebuilt balsa kit you can stuff your own electronics in?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Balsa kits are rapidly becoming an elitist branch of the hobby/Art because of the cost of the actual raw material. When you add the problems of warping and splitting of the balsa, post kit manufacture, the problems for the manufacturers multiply.

I love Balsa and have a number of models myself, mostly scratch built, they do seem to suffer more than their share of "Hangar Rash". Recently I did an exercise of weight reduction of a FB plane by removing paper and using Balsa to reinforce the bare foam with some success.

Psyborg is correct in his assertion of the business model under which FT operates, and in FT's position I would not wish to invest in a fading, (not fatally though), expensive technology which is not easily utilised by entry level RC users or builders and also would be slow moving off the shelf. For what you get for your dollar FB is hard to beat.

Should you wish to build the Pietenpol in Balsa I am sure that there are enough "Balsa Nerds", (myself included), who would gladly provide guidance through the procedure if you require it.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Thank's for the feedback. I'm sad to say that the most r/c flying experience i have is a cheapo chinese coax heli, that lived a short life. my brother got me a "gift card" of fifteen dollars to buy a flite test speedbuild kit, and I've been looking at the taranis QX7 as a radio, but my real interest is balsa. I was thinking that a pietenpol is pretty basic in shape (and thus easier to make in balsa), and docile in real life, so maybe it would transfer to R/C.

(p.s. what would be a good starter kit for balsa? I need to learn how to fly, then I'd like to make a balsa plane.)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You're in the right place my friend!

A whole bunch of us did a fall balsa build along this year - mostly working with the Mountain Models EVA kit which is an excellent beginner kit, but about 3 or 4 other kits as well. Lots of build threads, lots of great advice and discussions on where to get started, what tools you need, and who to go to for help. The link below is the main thread for the build along, and has links to all the builders who joined in making dust these past couple months.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?30782-Balsa-Forum-Fall-Build-Along

Most of the builders in this already had some flying chops and focused more on aerobatic planes, but some excellent kits for someone a little earlier on the learing curve are the Mountain Models Dandy and the Mini-Telemaster and the Lolo from Zeke's Park Scale Models

You'll find lots of people here able to help you out on the journey to balsa - but don't discount the benefits of taking your first 20 crashes on a foamy either. They take less time to fix when you're first learning to fly :)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
But then again you could be like me and get roped into a racing plane for your first foamie build like I did...:p

Ohh Hi Rockyboy.

Check out the current build competition for FF2017 where these guys are building racers and starting to put out the build videos. Some serious builders showing awesome techniques and skills with hot glue and foam for the most part. There is a lot to be learned even if you only end up building a tiny trainer so well worth a peek.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
But then again you could be like me and get roped into a racing plane for your first foamie build like I did...:p

Ohh Hi Rockyboy.

Hey - I resemble that remark! :p

Check out the current build competition for FF2017 where these guys are building racers and starting to put out the build videos. Some serious builders showing awesome techniques and skills with hot glue and foam for the most part. There is a lot to be learned even if you only end up building a tiny trainer so well worth a peek.

Yeah - the FTFF 2017 International Air Races Design Off that is leading up to the 2017 Flite Fest International Air Races has been a whole lot of fun this year with lots of different design techniques being documented - both super simple and amazingly complex

As a community we've been doing more and more group activities like this every year - they are lots of fun and I recommend everyone join in on at least one that matches your interests - and the skills you want to develop next.

You can also go back and read through/participate in any of these group activities that are already completed in the past like the great Baby Baron Gotha Gaggle of 2016 when you're ready for a really cool looking and hella fast combat plane. I guarantee if you start posting in that thread that you're building one, you'll get people jumping in with advice and encouragement to help you complete a project.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
First, I agree with rockyboy and PsyBorg that starting in foam is the best way. It'll teach to you to fly and build without a ton of time or heartache. I'd also recommend an easy build like the Mountain Models kits for your first couple of balsa builds.

Having said that, there are balsa Peitenpol kits out there like this one and this one.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?

Ohh Hi Rockyboy.

funny you should say that... I was all set to buy an FT arrow, with the low power motor and a beginner Spektrum tx, then I got the news that I made it into my orchestra's European tour, and I ran out of money, and a good thing too. as a teenager, i can be broke, and starting out on the arrow L.O.S. would be awful for orientation. I've done more research, and I'm getting the scout or trainer from FT.

(P.S. I've always been amazed by the supportive people on this site. I don't usually talk too much on forums, but this place makes one want to contribute.)