BL Touch

doc_mat

Hi everyone,

I have an Ender 3 and recently picked up a BL Touch. Is anyone familiar with this? It's supposed to be some kind of auto-leveling "tool". But anyway, I've gotten it installed and flashed the firmware. I'm supposed to get a new menu option for the BL Touch. However, all I'm getting is an option to restore failsafes, and not an option to save any settings that the instructions tell me to change. Has anyone used this? Could anyone give me some insight?

sirjaymz

Hi everyone,

I have an Ender 3 and recently picked up a BL Touch. Is anyone familiar with this? It's supposed to be some kind of auto-leveling "tool". But anyway, I've gotten it installed and flashed the firmware. I'm supposed to get a new menu option for the BL Touch. However, all I'm getting is an option to restore failsafes, and not an option to save any settings that the instructions tell me to change. Has anyone used this? Could anyone give me some insight?
very familiar . what issues are you having?

sirjaymz

Hi everyone,

Comes down to the mainboard you have on what YT video I would recommend to watch in assisting getting it up and running.
If you are familiar with compiling Marlin, it's really straight forward. If you are not familiar with compiling Marlin, then I recommend following a video that pertains to your mainboard of you Ender 3. (BTW, on a side note, I would just go ahead an update it your mainboard to a SKR Mini V2 E3. By far the best upgrade you will perform on your 3d printer).
If you already have a 32 bit board installed in your printer, well then the SKR board is not so much needed. You'll need to download the firmware.bin file from Creality's website to update your mainboard to include the BLTouch for AutoBedLeveling to work.

doc_mat

very familiar . what issues are you having?

After flashing the firmware, I unhook the flashing tool and turn on the machine. I followed the instructions to move the z-axis. But instead of save settings, I have an option to restore the fail safes. The instructions also show that there should be a menu option for the BL Touch, but that isn't showing either. I did download another file from the Creality website along with the BL Touch firmware, but it's a .bin file. I'm just not sure if I missed something I was supposed to download or flashed the wrong firm ware

doc_mat

Comes down to the mainboard you have on what YT video I would recommend to watch in assisting getting it up and running.
If you are familiar with compiling Marlin, it's really straight forward. If you are not familiar with compiling Marlin, then I recommend following a video that pertains to your mainboard of you Ender 3. (BTW, on a side note, I would just go ahead an update it your mainboard to a SKR Mini V2 E3. By far the best upgrade you will perform on your 3d printer).
If you already have a 32 bit board installed in your printer, well then the SKR board is not so much needed. You'll need to download the firmware.bin file from Creality's website to update your mainboard to include the BLTouch for AutoBedLeveling to work.

I just have the stock board on there. I haven't upgraded it yet... Sounds like I may need to

w1lp33

Do you have the Marlin firmware installed on your board? If not, you should. If you do, you can follow this video to set up the Bltouch:

If you don't have Marlin, you can follow this video to get it:

He's got a couple of Bltouch videos, and a bunch of other videos for doing cool things with Marlin.

doc_mat

Do you have the Marlin firmware installed on your board? If not, you should. If you do, you can follow this video to set up the Bltouch:

If you don't have Marlin, you can follow this video to get it:

He's got a couple of Bltouch videos, and a bunch of other videos for doing cool things with Marlin.

This is what I downloaded:

1606682616674.png

The other one I downloaded which looks like firmware is a .bin file which I can't open. I tried using the progisp program...