Blackout Mini H Quad Build Log

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Nice one mate. Looks like you've got it dialed in nicely. Smooth as butter :). It's always more enjoyble to watch a video of someone flying in rate mode.

Thanks! I have been flying the KK2 with autolevel for the past 10 months on my batbone tricopter. Everyone convinced me to make the leap to Rate mode, now that I am using the Acro Naze32 in this little quad. These were actually my first flights trying it out, and now I am completely hooked.

It took a while to get used to the fact that once I move the quad in a direction, it just keeps going. Its nice for flying low and fast because you don't have autolevel trying to push you back to center.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes it takes some practice to learn it especially if you've been flying a stabilized mode for while but the end result is soooo much smoother and cleaner since you're not constantly fighting the FC around the sky. The smoothness and crispness is also amplified when you use something like a Naze 32 and tune it correctly . Plus once you gain some confidence you can do all these really cool maneuvers since the quad will now stay where you put it.

Enjoy it my friend :)

Greg2B

Nice flight. I've been meaning to really try rate mode since it's what every one really flies in. But I usually chicken out half into my flights and switch back to horizon mode.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
You just need to put a conceded effort into it Greg. Spend a morning out in the open doing a lot of flights practicing the boring stuff like circuits and hovering. You have retrain your thumbs and this will take time. Just be stubborn about it and you will get there.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Since I thought I may as well start filming my fun I thought I'd post some hints and tips on mounting a Mobius to a BO mini H.

First hurdle for me was that the camera tilt mech gets in the way of the vibration bobbins that hold the camera plate. Since I didn't want to fiddle with it and I've always seen the vibration camera mount as not needed I did my own thing. I mounted two different height foam tapes so the camera would have some upward tilt as I knew I'd need it. I can still give it more by adding more foam to the front but thought I'd start flat and add as needed. This angle is not too bad for general flying but you still see a fair bit of ground when really pushing. The foam tape doubles as a vibration isolator and also grips the Mobius well when the Velcro strap is put on tight so it doesn't slip. Solid as a rock and no Jello at all.

You'll notice the metal strips on the Mobius. This is aluminum tape that I had lying around. I have some on all sides to help with finding it should it be ejected in a crash. I also have some tape over the Micro SD card slot as the SD card can be ejected in a hard crash and you'll never find that again.

Lastly is the lens protector. The wide angle version of the Mobius is by far the best to capture as much of the action as possible. The only downside is the lens sticks a fair way out and is easy to smash. I've seen a few protectors out there. Some even have clear covers that go over the lens but they all produce some kind of reflection so I didn't want to go that way. Instead I made my own simple idea. It is just clear flexible hose that slips over the lens. It was a little larger diameter than the lens so I put some thin foam tape in to fill the gap and now it holds on with friction and is simple to slide off so you can install the lens cover after flying. It is just long enough to go past the lens but not get in shot. It won't protect every type of impact but hopefully your not that unlucky that often :)

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 35

trigger

Nice lens protector :)
I'll keep it in mind if I ever get a wide-lens Mobius.

I've given the SFTT some thoughts.
While I still want to try to have the Naze32 auto-tilt the on-board camera, I trust your words when you say it won't be practical to fly.
So, what I may do, is add 2 servos : one, manually controlled, for the FPV camera, and a second one, FC-stabilized, for the Mobius.
I'm a bit worried about the weight increase, as well as making the whole thing too flimsy...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Nice lens protector :)
I'll keep it in mind if I ever get a wide-lens Mobius.

I've given the SFTT some thoughts.
While I still want to try to have the Naze32 auto-tilt the on-board camera, I trust your words when you say it won't be practical to fly.
So, what I may do, is add 2 servos : one, manually controlled, for the FPV camera, and a second one, FC-stabilized, for the Mobius.
I'm a bit worried about the weight increase, as well as making the whole thing too flimsy...

Adding tilt to the Mobius could be a challenge. The weight of the Mobius in a crash could easily break a servo. It could be done but yeah, you start adding more weight and the setup won't be crash friendly. Keep me informed on your progress though!

trigger

Adding tilt to the Mobius could be a challenge. The weight of the Mobius in a crash could easily break a servo. It could be done but yeah, you start adding more weight and the setup won't be crash friendly. Keep me informed on your progress though!

My concern exactly.
I was thinking about having the linkage between the mobius and the servo disengage or break away on crash, so that the servo survives. But since micro servos are already fragile, I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that yet.

I'll try to put together a proof of concept soon.

MT Alex

That kind of crash is what people refer to as a "yard sale" on the ski slopes around here. You can definitely hear (and almost feel) the difference between your props and the standard gemfans most people fly in their videos.

On a side note, I've read a lot of conflicting opinions, but do you oil the bearings in your Sunnyskys?

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes they have a very different sound to them. My group all flies the cutdown FC's now so to us it's the normal sound although yesterday one of the guys flew his old backup quad which still had the Gemfans and CC3D (everyone has converted to the Naze 32 now) and it sounded like the motors were whinging the whole time. It was very noticeable how much slower that quad was on the race track we set up too. I'm working on a video to show prop performance right now but it may take a while as I'm doing it when I get a spare second or two here or there.

Yes I oil my SunnySky's. The bearings are only shielded, not sealed. Sealed bearings have black rubber side seals and are designed to never need lubricating as the lubricant put in at manufacture is designed to last the life of the bearings. Shielded bearings will need the occasional lube. I just lube mine every once in a while with some oil I made at work (I work for an oil company). A tiny drop on both bearings and then work the oil in is all you need.

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Here's my latest creation thanks to the KISS esc's and it shows you what you can do with them. Sure there are others that have a 4s setup on their Blackout mini H's, but not like this. The little mini H is now faster than the new Blackout 330 prototype :D.

Apologies for the shots of the ground, I do have 15 deg tilt on the Mobius but it looks like I need more now...

Hope you like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXaoRxF_e0

Last edited:

MT Alex

Wow, it grabs altitude amazingly fast, nice job! I noticed on your build picture at RCG it looked like you only heat shrunk the escs themselves instead of the whole arm. If so, how come? Hopefully it wasn't a shortcoming in the concept, I just got done shrinking all my arms last night.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Hey mate thanks, its fun to fly :)

No rel reason for changing how I mount the esc. I had the BS12a's mounted Warpquad style and even did that with the KISS esc's initially but just thought it looked wrong so changed it to the mounting method you saw. About the only reason I can justify it apart from I didn't like the look of it is because the esc's are narrower than the arms there was a decent air gap which would allow water in if I crashed on very wet grass which I sometimes fly over early in the morning.

Either way works fine.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
M3 for all the hardware that attaches copter parts. M4 or M5 (M5 for SunnySkys I think) for replacing the nuts that come with the motors with stop nuts that won't fly off and send your rotor flying and your copter into the dirt in one heartwrenching smack. :)

Interesting moniker you have there.

Welcome to FliteTest!

Capt Buscemi

M3 for all the hardware that attaches copter parts. M4 or M5 (M5 for SunnySkys I think) for replacing the nuts that come with the motors with stop nuts that won't fly off and send your rotor flying and your copter into the dirt in one heartwrenching smack. :)

Interesting moniker you have there.
T
Welcome to FliteTest!

Yes, I'm an interesting person.

Thanks guys, I'm the proud owner of two packs of M5 Nyloc™ Nuts from my local hardware, fit perfectly on the SS2204 motors.