Blackout mini H quad build

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Flying my hex has really made me want to try a mini quad, so I'm going to build a Blackout. I'll keep track of my progress here.

Initial specs:

MK 7: Blackout mini H quad v2

motors: Cobra 2204/32 1960 KV
ESCs: KISS 18A v1.1
FC: Naze32 acro rev5 (Cleanflight)
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
telemetry: FrSky SP-FLVS
props: HQ 5x4.5

5V regulator: Pololu 2107
12V regulator: Pololu 2117
battery: nano-tech 3S 1300 mAh 45C

camera: Mobius wide angle / GoPro HERO3+ Silver
FPV camera: Sony PZ0420
FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600 mW
FPV antenna: VAS 5.8 GHz BlueBeam Ultra

motor to motor distance: 220 mm
all up weight: 619 g

Current specs:

MK 7: Blackout mini H quad v2

motors: Cobra 2204/28 2300 KV
ESCs: DYS SN20a (BLHeli)
FC: SP Racing F3 acro (Cleanflight)
RX: FrSky X4R-SB
telemetry: FrSky FBVS-01
props: HQ 5x4.5

5V regulator: Pololu 2107
12V regulator: Pololu 2117
battery: Lumenier 4S 1800 mAh 75C

camera: GoPro HERO3+ Black
FPV camera: Sony PZ0420
FPV TX: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600 mW
FPV antenna: ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz SpiroNET

motor to motor distance: 220 mm
all up weight: 729 g

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The only thing I will suggest strongly is to ditch those horrid Nylon screws and swap them out for aluminum one's.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
The only thing I will suggest strongly is to ditch those horrid Nylon screws and swap them out for aluminum one's.

Hmm. I have read more the opposite I think. A lot of people running the knockoff blackouts have opted to replace the steel hardware with their nylon counterparts.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
That's because the Knockoff's are absolute rubbish. Any hardcore pilot uses Aluminum bolts. There is no reason to use Nylon other than it makes Blackout some extra cash in crash kits. The theory that the nylon bolts shearing dissapates the energy in a crash is total nonsense. What it does do is to expose your valuable electronics to damage in a crash and weakens the frame so your lower plates are more prone to being broken.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Totally concur with FGA on this.

Use zip ties as mechanical fuses on the electronics but build the frame like a roll cage.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm going to try these motors and props.

They're the Dragonfly MC1806 2300 KV and HQ 5x4.5. I'll be running them on 3S.

Twitchity

This should be a nice build. I'll definitely be following its progress :) Can't wait to see what you do once you get the build going.

severed

Do you know what size the top plate bolts are? I haven't gotten my frame yet as its still on backorder and should ship on the 31st. I have pretty much everything else. I had planned to change out the bolts for the top plate, just don't know what size they are. I know they are an M3 dia. but don't know what the length is. The online manual on the Blackout site lists all the parts, but they don't list what size goes where.

Thanks.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
All the bolts are M3. The longer the bolt the more it helps to stiffen the Nylon standoff. Too short of a bolt and you may strip the thread inside the Standoff in a crash resulting in the same outcome as the nylon bolts. I think I use 15mm bolts which work well.

My newest Blackout build seems to use cheaper Nylon standoffs which is disappointing :(

Last edited:

severed

All the bolts are M3. The longer the bolt the more it helps to stiffen the Nylon standoff. Too short of a bolt and you may strip the thread inside the Standoff in a crash resulting in the same outcome as the nylon bolts. I think I use 15mm bolts which work well.

My newest Blackout build seems to use cheaper Nylon standoffs which is disappointing :(

What are the length of the standoff? I'm a machinist so I can make them if they are not readily available.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
The standoff's are 35mm long. They are easy enough to get on the internet, it's just the cheaper one's tend to break where the better quality one's don't. In a really heavy hit the bottom aluminum bolts will bend first so that gives you an idea of the strength of them.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I'd stay with Nylon standoff's. Just get the better quality one's. You will have issues with the Standoff's shorting out the PDB.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Can't go wrong with a Cobra 2204 mate. Both them and the Sunnyskys are great motors. I run the SS2204 2300kv on 4s and it is a little rocket ship (for 5") with the bullnose props. It just requires a bit of careful tuning thanks to those square tips..

Quad

Can't go wrong with a Cobra 2204 mate. Both them and the Sunnyskys are great motors. I run the SS2204 2300kv on 4s and it is a little rocket ship (for 5") with the bullnose props. It just requires a bit of careful tuning thanks to those square tips..

Do the 2204 2300kv motors require a carefully chosen ESC?