Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
So today I went to our local hobby shop and they had just rcv'd the new Blade MQX micro quad-copter. The guy at the store has seen my big quad a number of times, so he asked me if I wanted to give this little micro quad a try. Of course I said yes! :) (To be truthful, I couldnt get my hands on it fast enough!) LOL

So he got out the RTF version that comes with the transmitter and everything needed to fly and handed it to me. I was so shocked at how well this little thing flies!!!! I was expecting it to be loud because of the gear drives etc....but it is actually super smooth, it has plenty of power, it was ALOT smaller than I had expected it to be. You can literally fly this thing comfortably around an office.

The only negative I could find about it in the short time I flew it, was that flying on the little transmitter that comes with it, it was very touchy. Most multi-rotors need to have at least some expo dialed into them.....binding to a DX6i, DX7, or DX8 would allow a person to really smooth it out even more.

Needless to say I want one. :) I am pumped to see a multi-rotor being put into the "mainstream" I think it will really help to support/promote this side of the hobby.

Again, I was very impressed, and for 139 BNF and 159 RTF its almost hard to pass up. Check it out.

Has anyone else flown one? and if so, what are your thoughts about it?

Cheers!

Eric

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Well, it definitely looks cool but in comparison to its price you could easily build one that is practically as good as this one by yourself and have one much cheaper. Also I always like to know exactly how the electronics work. I know what a KK board does but I don´t know what one of those premade all in one control boards do. Also I always like to build stuff myself :)

With planes it is different because all ESC´s motors etc. do the same and only the fuselage differs from plane to plane.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Well, it definitely looks cool but in comparison to its price you could easily build one that is practically as good as this one by yourself and have one much cheaper. Also I always like to know exactly how the electronics work. I know what a KK board does but I don´t know what one of those premade all in one control boards do. Also I always like to build stuff myself :)

With planes it is different because all ESC´s motors etc. do the same and only the fuselage differs from plane to plane.

Hey Anas!

You do make a very good point, prolly better to build it yourself if you are able. I guess if something on this board goes bad, then you have to replace to entire board. If an esc goes bad on one that you make yourself, you just replace it and your back in the air.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I guess if building and tinkering isn't someones forte, and there is a spare $139 laying around, it does fly really well......and it is fun right outta the box without working on anything. So, all in what a person wants I guess. :)

fun nonetheless :)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I had actually thought of buying this one as well, mostly to learn how to fly a quad.

Then I thought if I build one when I crash, then I can replace the parts much easier. I guess it will depend on when I get the time to build mine. If I don't have the time, I may end up with one anyway for practice.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I had actually thought of buying this one as well, mostly to learn how to fly a quad.

Then I thought if I build one when I crash, then I can replace the parts much easier. I guess it will depend on when I get the time to build mine. If I don't have the time, I may end up with one anyway for practice.

I would honestly like to have one just to be able to fly in the house on days when it is too windy or crappy outside to fly the big ones......also to work on maneuvers without putting my bigger filming ships at risk.

yep, I am talking myself into it more by the minute. :)

Trinom

Crazy electrician
How difficult was to keep it in hover? Is it closer to ARDrone or our DIY quads with KKboard?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
How difficult was to keep it in hover? Is it closer to ARDrone or our DIY quads with KKboard?

I have actually never flown an AR drone. I think that this one held a hover VERY well. especially for how small it is.....they seem to have it dialed in pretty well out-of-the-box. I only had to give one click of trim and it hovered hands off. I was pretty impressed.

Eric

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
one thing i have to say; and im sorry to AR.DRONE owners.

Ar.Drones sux !!! they are nice to the eyes, it impresses the audience with the camera, but they are awful to control .. very slow response ... didnt flew one with a proper transmitter, only Iphone ... it seems it gets alot better with a proper transmitter.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
I got to fly an MQX again today, only outdoors this time (my friend bought one, and brought it over) We were trying aerobatics with it.....and now I am totally sold!!!!!!! I am gonna have to have one of these. :) I was able to do inside loops, outside loops, rolls in forward flight, barrel rolls from a hover, hovering forward/backward tumbles......this little thing is absolutely AMAZING! I also followed it with my big quad and got some cool air-to-air shots of it while my friend was flying. Had a blast with it.....will post the video of it as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Eric

voipmonkey

cant wait to see that i was pondering on getting one of these to fly in my house to go with my other heli's i fly indoors.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Here is an air-to-air pic of the MQX from off of my big Quad. (sorry bout the low pic quality its a framegrab from GoPro video)

:)

GOPR0432.MP4.Still002.jpg