Blade QX 180 FPV conversion

curious-gabe

So I want to try FPV! I was thinking about building a 250 fpv quad, but i wanted to try it first to see how it all works before investing my time and money. I have blade qx 180 and I have looked at some stuff online but am still kinda lost. i keep finding them for sale.

So here is what i have gathered in my research. things i need

1)camera
2)transmitter thing and antenna 5.8 or something idk how the Watts works
3)goggles i was thinking fat shark(since ill probably will use them forever)
4) maybe another power source?

As you can see I need some help! if someone tell me how everything works it would me understand how it all works that would be great thanks.

P.S. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Gabe, welcome to the forum!

In the case of the 180QX, with the stock camera removed it has a surprisingly high lift capacity for a brushed-motor quad, but "high" is a VERY relative term.

You're going to need to get a VERY light weight FPV rig for it to carry, but the positive side they usually don't run that expensive. The simple option is to go with Horizon's micro FPV setup -- light and fully assembled, but short ranged and ~$100. you can easily wire it directly into your power system, running it off your flight battery.

A more complicated but slightly less expensive option is something like this:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?13551-DIY-Micro-5-8Ghz-FPV

you'll get better range for slightly less, but it requires a bit more delicate soldering.

As far as the receiver side, goggles or display is up to you. The part on your quad is like a TV station, the "home theater" you choose to watch it on is up to your taste and budget . . . and can easily change from one "TV channel" to another, assuming your receiver can receive the same channels -- if you go with a 32 channel receiver you can watch any channel you like.

If you go with the horizon FPV rig, it'll work easily with any fatshark, or any 32 channel RX. if you go with the one Peter spec'ed, there are a few overlapping channels that are close enough to work on a fatshark goggle, or, again, any 32 channel RX.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
So I want to try FPV! I was thinking about building a 250 fpv quad, but i wanted to try it first to see how it all works before investing my time and money. I have blade qx 180 and I have looked at some stuff online but am still kinda lost. i keep finding them for sale.

So here is what i have gathered in my research. things i need

1)camera
2)transmitter thing and antenna 5.8 or something idk how the Watts works
3)goggles i was thinking fat shark(since ill probably will use them forever)
4) maybe another power source?

As you can see I need some help! if someone tell me how everything works it would me understand how it all works that would be great thanks.

P.S. sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

Hi Curious_Gabe!

If I may make a suggestion... If you want to go with FatShark in the future save up for some higher model goggles like the predator or attitude. I tried going a cheap route with my FPV equipment and regretted it.