BLG - Ballistically Launched Glider: A new project/build thread

I started with a 2 inch diameter portable launcher that ran off of 12gm CO2 "jets". This launcher uses a 4 inch diameter pvc barrel and a compressed air source. I later used a pool noodle as a "Sabot" Read the description for further info...

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Very cool! I was just down in my basement workshop staring at the start of this project wondering when I'd get back around to it.

I have not seen the burst disc idea before. Very interesting! What is the volume of the space below the aluminum sheets? Ever put more than 8 sheets in it? :cool:

Its an invention of mine. The core design was for scenario paintball. It allowed me to launch 2 inch dia Nerf rockets with a safe 1kg platform. To keep it simple I used standard aluminum foil folded 3x to get eight layers and make a good seal. I have tried heavy duty foil and different layer counts. Above 8 layers the rupture is not as catastrophic nor as reliable. Below 8 the rupture is almost instantaneous but not as powerful. Heavy duty foil performs similar to high layer counts. Let me know if you want more info

I'll have to calculate the volume. At the time of the video the barrel was too long and actually slowing down the projectiles. For high performance chamber volume to barrel volume is about 1:1

Last edited:
I'll have to calculate the volume. At the time of the video the barrel was too long and actually slowing down the projectiles. For high performance chamber volume to barrel volume is about 1:1

oops! Just did the math: barrel volume to pressure chamber volume 2:1

earthsciteach

Yeah, that is very cool. Looks heavy, though. We've been cooking up KNO3 and sugar rocket fuel at school. Looks like another fun application of controlled explosives.

JasonEricAnderson

Yeah, that is very cool. Looks heavy, though. We've been cooking up KNO3 and sugar rocket fuel at school. Looks like another fun application of controlled explosives.

I was thinking of trying to cook up some stump remover (potassium nitrate) and sugar with some rust powder rocket engines this spring. Saw something on king of random that tickled my inner pyro.

earthsciteach

That's what we used. Works beautifully! We also tossed in coarsely ground magnesium for that pretty sparkler effect.

KulryQ

Have you thought about something like this? I'm hoping to deploy a tube-launched glider from a high power rocket this summer, so I've been looking into a similar concept.

Also, here's some more folding wings:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor

Have you thought about something like this? I'm hoping to deploy a tube-launched glider from a high power rocket this summer, so I've been looking into a similar concept.

Also, here's some more folding wings:

I really like the first one, the kite idea. Much less weight I would think. I think they had the idea for coast guard search and rescue.

JasonEricAnderson

I immediately thought of this thread.

bae_systems_coyote_en.jpg

bae_coyote_uav.jpg

Last edited: