BLHeli, Damped-light and emax motors

nilsen

Hello all,

I am building a ZMR250 for a friend and went with ZTW spider ESC's and Emax 2204 2300 kv motors as they were 1. available, 2. cheap.

I enabled damped-light and one-shot in cleanflight and it works (had to set my mincommand to 960 as it had a strange clicking wile idle) but the motors sound horrible, they whine with damped-light enabled.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned that it will decrease the lifespan of them?

Considering the guy getting this build won't be doing any mad acro flying, is it still worth having it on enabled?

Thanks!

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
does disabling it get rid of the noise? If so, I'd turn it off (if not, sounds like it won't matter either way).

nilsen

The motors sound completely different with damped-light on, they whine. After watching some youtube videos I see it seems normal for them to make that noise, but why and is it bad (do they take more strain with it on)?

Last edited:

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
It sounds just like this :D

Maybe I'm just not used to it.

Are they oneshot capable? if so how does it sound with both enabled? they just sound scrapey in that video. I can say that with dampening and oneshot enabled with kiss on cobras, the motors are exceptionally quiet with props on. All you can hear is prop. With props off, they have a nice clean hum.

If you don't have oneshot available on the ESC hardware, you may want to experiment with the motor_pwm_rate (but I have no idea where to go from the default).

jipp

they do not sound like my emax. they sound like the are scraping like mention. do you have a clip with out it on?
so can i hear/see if they sound like my motors.
which do have a high pitch noise more so than im use too over the nano at least,
chris.

nilsen

Are they oneshot capable? if so how does it sound with both enabled?

I'm no expert in the matters of oneshot with CF and damped light, but from what I understand Oneshot is automatically detected in the new versions of BLHeli and it really does work, throttle response is very crisp.

That video isn't mine by the way, I just googled BLHeli Damped light oneshot and that is really what they sound like.

For the BLHeli experts, do you need Damped-light to get oneshot?
I'm going to turn off damped light to see if it makes a difference and take it from there.

@Chirs - I'll get a clip later when I'm home of the motors nice a raw with and without oneshot, damped-light.

Cheers

nilsen

So got home very late last night and made the first part of the video comparison but then I couldn't get change the BLHeli settings via the 1 wire interface nor the Arduino USBLinker interface so now I either have to figure that out or remove my nice heatshrink and flash them again so that I can disable damped-light.

Anyway, disabling oneshot in CF didn't make any difference to the sound at all.

nilsen

if its not one thing its another it seems. hope all is well on your end.

chris.

Thanks Chris, it's not all bad but I think I have to remove the shrink-wrap and reflash the ESC's to turn off the "damped light" as I cannot get them programmed through the servo wire, try as I might.

Cheers!

nilsen

I made a quick video showing the differences with Damped-light on and off.

It certainly was the source of the noises from those poor Emax motors.

jipp

I made a quick video showing the differences with Damped-light on and off.

It certainly was the source of the noises from those poor Emax motors.

yeah they sound the same as my emax 1806 with stock flash there version of BlHeli.

with oneshot on.. it does not sound like my motors that is for sure.. guess they can not handle it? or something goofy is going on it would seem.

chris.

ksstms

Hi!

I know this is an old topic, but hope you see this. Did you find a solution to this problem?
My DYS 1806 2300KV motors with Turnigy Plush 12A ESCs make the same noise when damping is enabled. I've tried to change everything, but the motors only sound normal when I disable damping.

Now I think it was a huge mistake to buy these motors instead of paying a bit more for better ones. Building my first quad has really taught me, that cheap stuff can get really expensive over time :mad: