Help! BLHeli with an arduino (ESCs not detected)

AndrewJJ

Hey everyone,

I hope this post will be able to help other people in the future too, but I ran into a bit of an issue, when trying to connect BLHeli to my ESCs through and arduino Uno that I had laying around.

I am using BLHeli suite 32

There are no problems with connecting to the arduino and flashing the 4way-if bootloader to it, and all my ESCs are grounded to the Arduino. I was told to put the ESCs signal pins to pins 8, 9, 10 on the arduino (I have 3 ESCs)

After all that, I connect to the arduino, power up the ESCs (I heard the normal beep) and then when I click 'read setup' it tells me I have no ESCs, and that they are underpowered or not connected. (I just charged the battery)

I am pretty new to this hobby so at that point I am not sure what to do, I did make sure that the ESCs and the battery were both compatible (4s), and I used those ESCs with motors two days ago, so I know that they work well.
(I also have tried the BLHeli configurator but it won't connect either)

I would love to see what you guys have to say, thanks for the help!

Andrew,

Cyberduke

Hi, This will be my first post here to! Welcome and yes that can be really tricky and took me a while to figure out as well. The main problem I had was that I needed to use a 32 bit BL heli package and not a 64 bit. So I will guide you step by step through how I did it on an arduino nano. The only difference will be the pins. Note I used the BLheli32 package.

1. Open BLheli32 and go to the "make interfaces" tab.
2. Choose the right arduino in the dropdown list and select a baudrate. By trial and error I found that the baudrate that my nano wanted is 5700. So if you selected value doesn't work try a different value.
3. Select the right COM port that your arduino is connected on. This is VERY important. If there are multiple COM ports available, plug out your arduino and see which one disappears. Plug it back in and choose that port.
4. I then click the "Arduino BLHeli Bootloader" button. It goes through flashing the arduino with the right software and you should get a message saying "Arduino successfully flashed by Avrdude"
5. After clicking "okay" (or something like that) a very important message pops up. It tells you which interface to use when talking to your ESC's. Take note of this.
6. Go to the "ESC Setup" tab and at the top click on the "Select BLheli_32 interface". Then select the one you were told to. For me its the one in the middle named "BLHELI_32 Bootloader USB/Com". I see no reason for yours to be different.
7. Select the right com port at the bottom. Leave the Baud rate as is. it does not need to be the name as the previous baud rate. The port will most likely be the same though.
8. If I remember right the nano starts connecting ESC's from pin D3 onwards. Just play around to find the right ones on the uno. But remember to power them up and connect all grounds together(as youve been doing)
9. Click "connect"

Goodluck and let me know if you have questions or if something is unclear. (I can even send you the exact software I am using if you want, can't remember if I set it up specially somehow, I was playing around a lot to get it right)

*Edit

I see you are using the BLheli_32, which is the same one, just flashing the wrong interface.

Last edited:

BrianL

Hi, This will be my first post here to! Welcome and yes that can be really tricky and took me a while to figure out as well. The main problem I had was that I needed to use a 32 bit BL heli package and not a 64 bit. So I will guide you step by step through how I did it on an arduino nano. The only difference will be the pins. Note I used the BLheli32 package.

2. Choose the right arduino in the dropdown list and select a baudrate. By trial and error I found that the baudrate that my nano wanted is 5700. So if you selected value doesn't work try a different value.
3. Select the right COM port that your arduino is connected on. This is VERY important. If there are multiple COM ports available, plug out your arduino and see which one disappears. Plug it back in and choose that port.
4. I then click the "Arduino BLHeli Bootloader" button. It goes through flashing the arduino with the right software and you should get a message saying "Arduino successfully flashed by Avrdude"
5. After clicking "okay" (or something like that) a very important message pops up. It tells you which interface to use when talking to your ESC's. Take note of this.
6. Go to the "ESC Setup" tab and at the top click on the "Select BLheli_32 interface". Then select the one you were told to. For me its the one in the middle named "BLHELI_32 Bootloader USB/Com". I see no reason for yours to be different.
7. Select the right com port at KissAnime GroupMe Letgo the bottom. Leave the Baud rate as is. it does not need to be the name as the previous baud rate. The port will most likely be the same though.
8. If I remember right the nano starts connecting ESC's from pin D3 onwards. Just play around to find the right ones on the uno. But remember to power them up and connect all grounds together(as youve been doing)
9. Click "connect"

Goodluck and let me know if you have questions or if something is unclear. (I can even send you the exact software I am using if you want, can't remember if I set it up specially somehow, I was playing around a lot to get it right)

*Edit

I see you are using the BLheli_32, which is the same one, just flashing the wrong interface.
Thanks for this very much helped me very much through and through.

Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

Haadi

7. Select the right com port at the bottom. Leave the Baud rate as is. it does not need to be the name as the previous baud rate. The port will most likely be the same though.
9. Click "connect"

*Edit

Hey, I am doing the same thing, I am making all connections right, but still my BLHeli suit is not able read my ESC. I am using the following BLHeli ESC
Can you please please help me out too??