Bloody Baron, a bloody mess to learn on.

Hannibal01

Semper Fi
So I watch a lot of flite test, and even though I started by building quads a little over a year ago I figured why not try planes. So after months of prep work and building different gliders while I worked on my build techniques, I finally decided to build a bloody baron to fly.

Now I have loads of experience in flight. Can fly real planes and helos. Been flying quads like I said for the last year and really thought I would pick it up rather quickly. Boy was I wrong. First off, I'm trying to hand launch while I learn. I think I mastered the nose dive on take off. Seems from the torque the plane wants to spin to the left and then nose in. After three or four attempts, I finally got it to fly right, and by right I mean to the right instead of left. Got a solid 10 second flight that time. More trim, little more power and boom, I'm in the air.... maybe 15 seconds..... over controlled and destroyed the power pod.

Not a failure, but not a success either. Already have it back together, but I'm starting to wonder, should I take a step back and start with something slower? Maybe something with wheels that I take off in a traditional manner? I don't know.

I'm not a quitter, but I would love to keep something in the air for at least a tenth of its build time. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Sad part is I'm writing this at my daughters soccer practice, and all I can think is this field would be perfect to fly in.

earthsciteach

I recommend taking that step back. The Bloody Baron and Bloody Wonder are not good first planes because they are built to be fast and very responsive. Since you have flying experience, the Storch would be a great plane as that step back. It is a sweetheart of an airplane that actually flies like an airplane. No offense to the FT Flyer, it is fantastic, but doesn't fly like an airplane. I am not a huge fan of the FT Trainer because of its size.

The Storch's larger size makes it easier to handle all around. Plus, it will do any sort of silly thing you might want to do within reason. The Storch is, hands-down, the best all-around flying airplane that FT has put on the market. Plus, it has landing gear!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
+1 what earthsciteach said.

Well I do like the Tiny trainer but only because of its size due to where I fly. :)

Hannibal01

Semper Fi
The storch use the big pod? I have all the stuff for the large pods, but all my smaller esc's and motors are attached to drones. If I start buying more stuff with all the stuff I've gotten over the last year, my wife may file for divorce. Actually kind of why I went with the baron. She liked it. Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Are you sure none of your controls are reversed? Turn and a nose into the ground are classic signs of having something reversed. What prop and motor are you using? How much throttle are you giving on launch?

JohnRambozo

The storch use the big pod? I have all the stuff for the large pods, but all my smaller esc's and motors are attached to drones. If I start buying more stuff with all the stuff I've gotten over the last year, my wife may file for divorce. Actually kind of why I went with the baron. She liked it. Happy wife, happy life and all that jazz.

The bloody baron is a great plane but has an insane roll rate. The trailing edge of the wing is all control surface. The storch would be completely at the opposite end of the spectrum. Big and floaty, slow flier. Go for it. Don't give up. Speed will come in time.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
First of all, I'm really sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with the Baron. As the others have stated, it isn't really a 'beginner' plane, although it can be tamed way down to be a lot more beginner friendly. If you plan to stick with the Baron to learn on (it can be done, I learned to fly RC on a Bloody Wonder), make sure you use the shorter control throws. What motor are you using?

Also, rolling to the left is kind of atypical. Normally, you would be getting a roll to the right if it was a torque induced roll. Check to make sure that all your control inputs are neutral. A properly trimmed Baron, launched at about 1/2 throttle will practically fly itself out of your hand.

mjmccarron

Another trick I learned was to attach a streamer to the tail. About 25 - 30 feet of party creep paper works wonders. The extra drag really stabilizes it. This is assuming you have enough power to pull it. I taught my son-in-law on a bloody wonder with a streamer.

Mike

Hannibal01

Semper Fi
Thanks for all the replies. Ok I printed out the Storch last night and first complaint... Sponz, you gotta help these plans. yours are so user friendly. With these it's so hard to tell where the corners are... but i digress.

Motor - Emax 1800kv (Flight test store)
ESC - 20 amp BLHeli (Flite test store)
Prop - 8-6 SF (hobby town USA) : Closest thing they had to the recommended 8-4.5
Throws - 60/30 (low rates)

To be honest I did go balls to the wall with a 4 channel version right out of the gate. Again my experience and ego got the better of me and i thought i could handle it. As far as the left bank and nose dive, what way should the motor turn when facing the plane? Mine goes counter clockwise. I based that off the prop I bought. Oh and I triple checked to be sure my inputs where going the right way.

I can say when I came back last night with more foam board and poster board I thought my wife was gonna loose it. She was very firm on the "no more stuff". It's really a lack of space thing. Been on the hunt for a piece of land with a work shop on it for all my hobbies. starting to take over the dinning room with this one though. To be honest, I think she will welcome me going back to car restoration. It's funny, I can give you a show car quality Chevy Nova or Chevelle like it's nothing, but a foam board plane has me stumped.

anyway I'll get it sorted out. The Marine in me doesn't know retreat.

jaskoller

I learned on the Bloody Wonder. And the first time (and second time) I got it in the air I thought HOLY S***! Then I went home and watched the FT vids again and dialed my throws way down added a bunch of expo and used dual rates and went back to the field (well ok, after a couple repairs). Tried it again and couldn't believe the difference. Oh, I also realized I was tail heavy the first couple tries so I also remedied that. The thing flew awesome. I also tried taking off by, instead of throwing, setting it on its tail facing straight up. Took off like a rocket. I love that plane, but you have to tame it down at first.

JohnRambozo

I learned on the Bloody Wonder. And the first time (and second time) I got it in the air I thought HOLY S***! Then I went home and watched the FT vids again and dialed my throws way down added a bunch of expo and used dual rates and went back to the field (well ok, after a couple repairs). Tried it again and couldn't believe the difference. Oh, I also realized I was tail heavy the first couple tries so I also remedied that. The thing flew awesome. I also tried taking off by, instead of throwing, setting it on its tail facing straight up. Took off like a rocket. I love that plane, but you have to tame it down at first.

I can imagine those were a couple of wild flights. I can fly my baby baron without expo now, but I wouldn't recommend it even for a experienced pilot. If it was my first time on the sticks it would seem uncontrollable for sure.

Good job working through the challenges of being new.

Capt_Beavis

There is a chance that the 8x6 prop is causing some torque roll but I haven't had much problem with torque roll on the Baron like I did on my FT Duster.

Hannibal01

Semper Fi
ok printed out the new designs by sponz for the storch (FYI i used to pronounce this stork). I'll put them to poster board and start my build in the next week or so. Have to shelve the planes for a few days, was creating a mess and with my business, and soccer practice, and house hunting, and whatnot, its kinda in the way. Plus I could tell the wife's patience was wearing thin.

So any recommendations for the storch build, ie: prop size, set up, throws, etc.

jaskoller

One of the things I like about the Storch is you can run a big motor, small motor or anything in between (in my experience anyway). I have had nothing but good flights with mine. One thing I added to mine was some venting on the hood to run air through the pod to keep my esc cool. Maybe not necessary but I had a couple flights get my esc's a little warm :). Also, I didn't have a good wire for landing gear so I made mine with a coat hanger. It's a little soft as I take off and land on a bumpy field and gravel road. I will be changing that to 1/8" music wire gear shortly. One word of advice, for me anyway, bigger tires were better, at least in my flying field conditions. Have fun with it. To me, it is the most forgiving plane I have. It also will take a payload. I have run mine with my gopro and a bomb drop devise I made and dropped parachute guys and a stuffed animal (with a parachute of course). GREAT PLANE. I would say take your time gluing your wing together. Mine has been great, but I've seen that wing fail for a couple other people doing loops etc.

Hannibal01

Semper Fi
wait a second... sponz's plans has extra parts that the original build video didn't go over. ie: Fixed Wing Slat, Slat Spacers, and Wing T.E. Spacer. Where do these go? or What are they for?