Bloody Baron - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
BLOODY BARON
3 or 4-Channel Combat Airplane
Works with FT Swappable Series (Power Pack B / C)

2015-06-04 21.16.22.jpg

I'm really looking forward to sharing this design with the Flite Test community. It is by far the most fun combat plane I have flown. It is combat tested and I've racked up over 5 kills with it already.

Here's the one that started it all. My favorite souvenir from Flite Fest 2014. My prototype Bloody Baron signed by the Flite Test crew.

FTFF 2014 Bloody Baron.jpg

While I was at Flite Fest 2014 collecting signatures on the prototype, Josh Bixler asked me if I would allow Flite Test to make my design into a Flite Test Speed Build Kit to sell on the FT Store. I told him I would be honored if they did, and the rest is about to be history. Shortly after Flite Fest I sent Josh the Beta 1.0 plans and he and his two sons built and flew a couple of them.

They also gave it a sneak peak in the background (left side of the screen) of the FT Simple Storch build video (first glance at it is at 1:00 into the video)...

FT Storch Build 1.01 Bloody Baron.png

My son and I were also mentioned in an FT podcast 41 about the future release of the FT Bloody Baron. Listen from 43:36 to 44:45 to hear Josh Bixler talking about it.

DESCRIPTION

DETAILS

PLANS

SP0NZ - Plans Index
Bloody Baron 3D 02c.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

WINGSPAN:30 inches
LENGTH:24 inches
WING AREA:241 in2
WEIGHT (AIRFRAME):210 grams
CHANNELS:4
CONTROLS:Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle

ELECTRONICS

SERVOS:3 X 9g (hekTronix HXT900)

Combat Setup
PROPELLER:8X6 APC
MOTOR:NTM PropDrive 2826 1200kv
ESC:Turnigy Plush 25amp
BATTERY:1000-2200 mah 3S

Basic Setup
PROPELLER:9x4.7 Slow Fly
MOTOR:hekTronix 24gram 1300kv
ESC:Turnigy Plush 12amp
BATTERY:500-1300 mah 3S

BUILD LOG

I am finally going to begin the "official" build log for the final version of the Bloody Baron. Like all my other builds, everything starts with tiling the plans together and making templates. This time, instead of my normal method of gluing paper to poster board, I'm using a tip I picked up from my friend and fellow designer nerdnic. I printed directly to a heavy card stock from my inkjet printer. So far I'm really liking this technique because it does take some time and cost (poster board and 3M Super 77 are not free) out of the process.

IMG_20150829_064055053.jpg

IMG_20150829_064106301.jpg

The FT Bushwacker is going to have me side-tracked for a little while though. Blame Peter for designing such an awesome plane!

Fuselage Construction

Wing Construction

Horizontal & Vertical Stabilizers

Final Assembly

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
4 channel, I didn't expect that. Cool! Ugly Wonder is in hangar waiting for winds to die down. Foam and Xacto at the ready. Lol.

It can be built as a 3 or 4 channel plane. Anyone who's wanted a Bloody Wonder with a rudder is really going to like this one.

mad_milchmann

Anyone who's wanted a Bloody Wonder with a rudder is really going to like this one.

I can see myself in that description :)

I'm really looking forward to build and fly this one :)
I hope that I can make it to my foamboard dealer today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

BanditJacksRC

I'll build this one for sure - Streamer combat here I come. haha
I like this look/design even more than the BW. Its got the great stick look and a RUDDER!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow you are fast. Did you cut it all by hand? Very nice job!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Beta 2.2 Graphics posted.

Basic Directions:
Print out on plain white US Letter size paper (you need to print 2 copies of page 2 for the wings). Cut out to the inside of the cut (dashed) lines. Apply spray adhesive (I use 3M Supper 77, but others will work fine). Apply to your airframe (see the first page for reference on where to apply each graphic). Cover the graphics with clear packing tape. Use colored packing tape to complete your plane.

RAGII

Thanks for working with the Flite Test crew to release these plans early. Now I just need to get some plans printed and get building.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Sponz I'll be your noob beta tester... I just printed the tiled plans (and very impressed looking at them compared to the tiled FT plans). So far I've only built one plane, just constructed my first FT flyer from scratch last week. I'll let you know the beginner perspective on the build as soon as possible.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz I'll be your noob beta tester... I just printed the tiled plans (and very impressed looking at them compared to the tiled FT plans). So far I've only built one plane, just constructed my first FT flyer from scratch last week. I'll let you know the beginner perspective on the build as soon as possible.

I would very much appreciate that. I've scratch built so many planes in the past 2 years that it's all second nature to me now. I really would like to know if there is anything that is unclear or a struggle for you as you go through the build. Keep in mind that I do not have any of the pics or instruction in this build thread yet. Take a look at the Bloody Wonder MkIII and Ugly Wonder (links in my signature below) build threads for some more detailed instructions, particularly with the fuselage construction.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I would like to start adding a few more details to the specifications for my designs. In particular:

• Build Level
  • Pilot Level
  • Build Time

If you scratch build this design, please post here how much time the build took. If you could, separate the times into preparing plans, cutting parts, construction. I would also like feedback on Build/Pilot levels from the community too. Categories for these would be beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I would very much appreciate that. I've scratch built so many planes in the past 2 years that it's all second nature to me know. I really would like to know if there is anything that is unclear or a struggle for you as you go through the build. Keep in mind that I do not have any of the pics or instruction in this build thread yet. Take a look at the Bloody Wonder MkIII and Ugly Wonder (links in my signature below) build threads for some more detailed instructions, particularly with the fuselage construction.

the plans seem pretty straight forward, and I'll look over the build of the bloody wonder before I start. The biggest hurdle for me will probably be cutting those nice round edges, but that's not your fault... it might be easier than I think, and if not I have a good bit of material to practice with (and Dollar tree is only 5 miles from my house).