Bloody Baron Going Smooth

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hmmm. Needs 10" props on the wings. Happy faces? Must be some sort of psychological attack mode.

LOL, well as I take them out I want them to be happy :)

Normally I run the 10" prop but for this guy the goal was to keep the amp draw the same and still keep the speed up and a decent flight time. The outside motors are under propped to what they could spin (3x4x3 Azzure props) and they do cut streamers no problem and they have taken direct hits and not broken. The main motor now runs a 8x4.5 APC multi rotor prop . I still get just around 6 minutes flight time.

Piotrsko

Master member
I thought the 10" tip props would enhance your reach. Do you really need the speed? My combat was focused on turning ability mostly in the vertical either by looping or diving into opponents. Can't recall going left or right for a kill, spatial orientation was difficult for me. FPV is an interesting option.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I thought the 10" tip props would enhance your reach. Do you really need the speed? My combat was focused on turning ability mostly in the vertical either by looping or diving into opponents. Can't recall going left or right for a kill, spatial orientation was difficult for me. FPV is an interesting option.

The more loops and rolls I can do and head back through the pack the more chances of getting another kill. :cool::cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Shredder II is finally ready to maiden :)
2020_0122_234746_002.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
New Shredder II flies and boy my thumbs are rusty , need to get back on board with my combat planes , my normal rates you guys would say are your high rates :D . I did park his nose into the snow, not sure if the cold affected the elevator servo but it became very unresponsive.

Figure9

Elite member
Totally the opposite process of what I normally do. Because I have 2 rolls of 1mm Depron foam and there it sits staring me in the face saying pick me I need to build something with a rolled fuse and nice smooth airfoil wing. ;) Instead of the spars there will be wing ribs and a 5mm cf rod with maybe some balsa strips for the LE and TE, control surfaces will just be out of 6mm foam (I think) . Figured I would start small and easy (flat wing) and because it is a winner when it comes to flying lets use the FT Bloody Baron. So just the opposite I built a 3D version of the baron using 6mm foam (in a sense) from the plans. Now to start designing a fuse and main wing, not sure what I will do with the rear end.

View attachment 128002 View attachment 128003 View attachment 128004 View attachment 128005

Messing with the wing of a Bloody Baron is a great way to experiment because the wing chord is so long compared to the fuselage length. The 1st Bloody Baron kit I built with the FT wing. After that one I can’t help but try different modifications to see how it flys differently. The Bloody Baron is no trainer (in my opinion) but even as an inexperienced Noob I was able to fly it with the B pack motor. Not fly it well, that might come later. :rolleyes::p;)

Figure9

Elite member
I think I have 90% of the framework done, still need a bottom panel in there which is the easy part. My goal is to cut a hatch in once it is all together.

View attachment 128081 View attachment 128082

What this design might offer is an easy boxed fuselage that lends itself well to moulding the rounded sides as a good design to learn master build techniques before tackling a tougher warplane build. I thought the same thing about the mini Spitfire. I haven’t tried ‘round’ components yet, this might be how I give it a go since I do have a Bloody Baron kit just waiting in the box.

Wildthing

Legendary member
love the snow, love the shredder - you were cutting it up - it is fast eh! :D
Most of that was mainly 1/2 throttle :) , I didn't do any bench testing to see what the combo was going to pull on 4S and I still only had a 40A esc in there for the main motor so I took it easy.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Messing with the wing of a Bloody Baron is a great way to experiment because the wing chord is so long compared to the fuselage length. The 1st Bloody Baron kit I built with the FT wing. After that one I can’t help but try different modifications to see how it flys differently. The Bloody Baron is no trainer (in my opinion) but even as an inexperienced Noob I was able to fly it with the B pack motor. Not fly it well, that might come later. :rolleyes::p;)

The Baron is a fun plane and will do almost anything you want and carry a stupid amount of weight and still fly decent. . The thin airfoil really perked up the speed and it's roll so I have to turn my rates down when using that wing.