Bloody Baron Going Smooth

Wildthing

Legendary member
The club had a fun fly for father's day today, good thing I finally read the club flightline, there was also combat wars scheduled :) . The smooth Baron did awesome, 5 kills, earned it's ace sticker and came home in one piece . That is with a loose motor though, launching for the third battle I could see the motor shaft was bent slightly and it did vibrate but launched it anyways and half way through the battle the noise got really bad so I landed. There was only one screw holding it on :)

basslord1124

Master member
I just maidened mine today. Video coming soon. Overall it flew very good even though I just flew it circles to sort of feel it out. Don't think I'll need to add much trim. I will need to redo my power pod/battery setup though.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Very successful night with the combat wars last night. 5 kills for me, the most any other got was 2. The guys want me to take holidays because I am racking up the points :) . The best part all 4 planes came home in one piece, I actually only used one and that was the smooth Baron and really the BEST part is that it had 2 midair collisions and took out two other planes and I kept on flying with zero damage. :D :D

I did load up the videos to You-Tube if you want to view them just follow my link to the channel. Sorry most part is out of frame again, I think because you are concentrating so hard that I forget to turn my body and follow the action. We had a fairly strong NE wind and you would start out in frame and to the east of the field and after 2 or 3 maneuvers you were at the opposite side of the field and almost flying over your head.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8sAtIIQ5wJc9fXqJvwc3CFJwuw-6Jk0o

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the new Baron using the new hot ironed technique is ready for battle. I did also cap off the end of the wing to make it smooth as possible. Tonight if all goes well today will be combat wars to test it :). here is hoping it lives through the night.

I think it's new name will be Iron Maiden. :)
2019_0702_205050_001.JPG
2019_0702_205059_002.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well last night was combat wars. Had the new Iron Maiden out for it's first run, it was doing great and even got a kill and then the motor went up into smoke. I think out of a couple dozen of these motors that is my first smoker, the Turnigy 2826 10T 1400kv motor that is. I don't show the motors any mercy and they just keep on going. :) I did end up with 9 kills for a total that night , 1 burnt motor and two fuses I need to replace, still had two more spares in waitin just incase :) .

Sorry unedited videos, (don't know where you guys get all the time to do that) and also for some reason everything when I fly combat is off to the left but not when I fly solo so camera angle will be adjusted. That is if I remember to, heck one video I saw the camera recording and I was back at the bench, forgot to turn it off :D

Jimun

Elite member
That is awesome and crazy. I thought of a bunch of fly's buzzing around watching these. But I think hornets is a better description. I will need a lot more practice before I try combat.

Wildthing

Legendary member
@mayan , Everyone is really watching their plane and they just yell out when they cut one, there is a pretty good snap sound when you cut one too. End of the day we keep track in a binder for the kills.

@buzzbomb , I think we had 11 pilots to start with this night. She was really busy up there and a fair amount of carnage too,

@Jimun I watch your videos, you can do it no problem . Just keep your glue gun running for the evening, the guys usually have 2 glue guns plugged in and ready for repairs here. ;)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Squadron is back up to full :). Smooth Baron a new fuse plus a little open heart surgery on the wing and splice on a new piece for the elevator. The smooth wing is the one that has the 3D printed ribs, 5mm cf rod and some balsa strips and wrapped with 1mm Depron. Surprisingly this wing has taken a few hits and these are the first repairs to it, I expected this wing to explode on first impact but it is stronger then it looks. The new Iron Maiden got it's new motor and the other Baron a new front section of the fuse spliced in.

2019_0706_113620_001.JPG
2019_0706_113633_002.JPG
2019_0706_124546_001.JPG
2019_0706_140912_001.JPG
2019_0706_140917_002.JPG
2019_0707_090452_001.JPG