Bloody Baron Going Smooth

Wildthing

Legendary member
Totally the opposite process of what I normally do. Because I have 2 rolls of 1mm Depron foam and there it sits staring me in the face saying pick me I need to build something with a rolled fuse and nice smooth airfoil wing. ;) Instead of the spars there will be wing ribs and a 5mm cf rod with maybe some balsa strips for the LE and TE, control surfaces will just be out of 6mm foam (I think) . Figured I would start small and easy (flat wing) and because it is a winner when it comes to flying lets use the FT Bloody Baron. So just the opposite I built a 3D version of the baron using 6mm foam (in a sense) from the plans. Now to start designing a fuse and main wing, not sure what I will do with the rear end.

BB Picture 1.jpg
BB Picture 2.jpg
BB Picture 3.jpg
BB Picture 4.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sweet build. Depron is neat, and I may experiment with it in the future, but for now, the ribbing takes a bit more time, effort and discipline than what I'm willing to put in as somebody who still has a lot to learn. I'd hate to botch a build like that 75% of the way through or smash it on maiden. For now, I'm still mastering foamboard and the most basic FT build techniques like A folds. That will be the nicest baron Ive ever seen when it's done👍

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Sweet build. Depron is neat,and I may experiment with it in the future, but for now, the ribbing takes a bit a bit more time,effort and discipline then what I'm willing to put in as somebody who still has a lot to learn. I'd hate to botch a build like that 75% of the way through or smash it on maiden. For now, I'm still mastering foamboard and the most basic FT build techniques like A folds. That will be the nicest baron Ive ever seen when it's done👍

Well the real good Depron is no longer , I now mainly have the Value XPS Foam which is the same a MPF foam. This build is more of an experiment using the 1mm foam as a skin, we will see how it turns out. All part of scratch building, more time involved then money and that's why I love doing it. Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat. :D

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
One wing going together :) . Boy is this stuff ever thin, I can see me poking my fat fingers through it somewhere down the build, but it does form really easy. Added some extra real foam where the registers are plus something for the servo to be mounted to.
2019_0405_001500_001.JPG
2019_0405_071138_001.JPG
2019_0405_071148_002.JPG
2019_0405_072721_001.JPG
2019_0405_075809_001.JPG
2019_0405_075818_002.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Very cool project! Where did you end up with the 1mm depron from?
When RC Foam closed their doors I got a huge roll of it for $5.00 :), actually I have two rolls one is a different German brand. Both are underlay under flooring. The other brand I forgot the name off hand but if you want to search for some I will go dig the roll out.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Anybody ever weigh their completed wing before it went onto the fuse? Just curious if this assembly is even close.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
When RC Foam closed their doors I got a huge roll of it for $5.00 :), actually I have two rolls one is a different German brand. Both are underlay under flooring. The other brand I forgot the name off hand but if you want to search for some I will go dig the roll out.

That would be very cool! I'm pretty sure shipping costs will be crazy through. I'm thinking the next time I travel to Europe I need to visit a home improvement store and smuggle some back in my luggage :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
That would be very cool! I'm pretty sure shipping costs will be crazy through. I'm thinking the next time I travel to Europe I need to visit a home improvement store and smuggle some back in my luggage :cool:

Selitac is the brand. I also box of foam of flat sheets of Selitac they measure about 48" x 36" , more underlay for hardwood floors, it's labeled as 3mm but it doesn't look that thick. The cool part of these flat sheets they have a ribbed side to them so it will bend nice one way and be more ridged the other. RC Foam was selling this stuff also so the price was right.

Last edited: