Bloody Brit - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sooo.. I kinda have to ask now, what does XF stand for?

Great question, thanks for asking. XF is a new designation for anyone in the community to use for there own designs. Something to distinguish it as a community design in the style of Flite Test, but not to be confused with official Flite Test (FT) designs. XF is an abbreviation for eXperimental Foamboard. The military used it in the 1962 United States Tri-Service aircraft designation system where F is the basic mission code for fighter aircraft, and X is the status prefix code for experimental.

There is a new sub forum called XF Plans where I intend to share mine and others designs in the XF series. I will be updating the plans for the Ugly Wonder, Baby Baron, and Baby Brit in the new format with the XF designation and moving them from the current plans index to the new XF plans section. More details will be forthcoming in the following weeks as I figure out the details and logistics.

Ben Harber's XF A-4 Skyhawk will be the next community design to be added to the XF Plans section.

I'm open to inout and feedback from the community on this too. So please feel free to offer advice and criticism. This is afterall, by and for the Flite Test community.

donalson

so being that I bollocked up my build of a bloody wonder v3 by printing out the plans at about 95%... should I build this or or the BW.v3 first? lol... both are printed out at full scale this time...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Any chance some of the skins for the baby version will get scaled up?

Funny you should ask!

Bloody Brit Eddie Rickenbacker 001.png

donalson

hey sponz, do you have a link to those servo mounts?... I'm to the point I'm considering rebuilding the Brit; my rear (elevator) servo is grinding... and I don't plan on moving to more expensive servos... so why not rebuild and make it easy to mount new ones haha.

how do they fit/hold up?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
hey sponz, do you have a link to those servo mounts?... I'm to the point I'm considering rebuilding the Brit; my rear (elevator) servo is grinding... and I don't plan on moving to more expensive servos... so why not rebuild and make it easy to mount new ones haha.

how do they fit/hold up?
Here is the link to the 3D file --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533596

They will require making the servo opening a little larger. I usually just place the part on the foam and trace an opening around it. They seem to hold up well. I've put them on a couple of planes now and haven't had any issues with them at all.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SPONZ, is that skin available anywhere?

I think @Rasterize has the skin index temporarily out of service from the forum update. He's probably going to have very little time in the next few weeks, but he will be releasing this skin. PM me and I can see if I can send you the file in the mean time.

jpot1

Elite member
I think @Rasterize has the skin index temporarily out of service from the forum update. He's probably going to have very little time in the next few weeks, but he will be releasing this skin. PM me and I can see if I can send you the file in the mean time.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be patient, need to get my Long EZ sorted out first.

donalson

Here is the link to the 3D file --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:533596

They will require making the servo opening a little larger. I usually just place the part on the foam and trace an opening around it. They seem to hold up well. I've put them on a couple of planes now and haven't had any issues with them at all.

thx... I'll have to print out a few for the next bloody build

anyway... I decided to just replace the servo for now, also tossed in the C pack "beef" motor... looking forward to seeing what it does... I think it'll make it more flyable on a 2s and a lot quicker on the 3s... we'll see as soon as the weather clears up enough to go flying.

donalson

I finally retired my old bloody brit so had to build another before going to FF TX... looks a lot nicer than the first one... this one I installed a ruder and running on a C pack... the elevator is mounted underside as it was a late descision and I already had cut the rear servo hole ont he fuse.

on maiden she flew nicely but I was a bit surprised at how much the C pack didn't care for the 2700 2s... tossed on the 2200 3s and off she went... first bit of flying I forgot I even had a rudder, my old one didn't and my bloody wonder doesn't... before the rudder I was having lots of fun at max rates rolls and loops, nice inverted flight etc... when I remembered the ruder I found it did hammer heads well and knife edged OK... but I need to work on them some more, easy to do slow circles while knife edging but straight line knife edges I couldn't do so well for long runs... but I think that is more my own skill and less the plane...

should combat well at FFTX :)... I painted mine sunburst yellow and put some thing black stripes on the bottom... should be easy to see and with the shape I find it easy to keep orientation...

donalson

i've mounted this on the brit... we're going to see how she goes... bit less max thrust vs the C pack motor but curious how it turns out.... 6040 prop puts it around 900g static thrust from looking at others tests... but I think it'll be faster vs the c pack... but obviously a big change in the torque.

IMG_1523.jpg

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
i've mounted this on the brit... we're going to see how she goes... bit less max thrust vs the C pack motor but curious how it turns out.... 6040 prop puts it around 900g static thrust from looking at others tests... but I think it'll be faster vs the c pack... but obviously a big change in the torque.

OcZHb0FrCxxFLzfXAGPAzUlUIkrztTUEdQDcLQlwJwhoonJN2-vOcYmpewFM4cq32PS7xzJ6ToTYBQoKJqzmppdQ_p55zoX8QrGIFgFlz-jN9NhTzJnHx0RvVCbpLwtzRkoILplmTZFrvrPH13juJ5foDm7it-TjNYjaRhvXhRPChfNgb1BDarCBv1GUqma1cbFlWhZEgJGADpTgah1llDKM69wxV2lxuHV1yhJ6RfHe9xrfpvXRyzlr01Gv9Jx7VN49XtHB57Goo7SCUNhOUHr-Mm9jwd2mgWyNmG3KJPP3tzsudDkigxJ19UkH7mSfIWwclaSDph5635SdkUwLeOMDVxGnJRWAFESpnPPmcmHhMCAHrYJ9cneB4Pt7csslLszqpR37VGX62nFiVW57B6zSc5g1gasHdcCunLBHfWOhcZH0LlJ8Z257vwfTZYHrQv-qoC3zHT6FRTXpz7NvlAnGPwW6aCB5Pi_XMHPvghmq3JpoClmOs2OQJ4QfVMUHh6o17DYr7a93D1O7-L0aHc7xrE850vWBjYYHXRVfbOpmyzkBQRTOaoFfEMbnveiFqksfCEY8_C14n-JV2J00LyrodrBLqqdkvIZnUCb5V21tvQfiQeoaFStZ1jq5xCFX=w464-h618-no
My friend put almost the same motor in his. It went 100mph+and the the control horn snapped. Yes it was a FT control horn. First plane. Smithereens was the word to describe it.

donalson

I swore sp0nz had asked about posting how it worked out... maybe I'm crazy?...

anyway got it out today... yes it's fast... but it's also very slow... top speed especialy going down wind or in a dive is VERY VERY fast... but it's not quick... it has no grunt, and didn't like flying into the 10mph wind without a lot of throttle...

I attribute all of this to the small 6" prop and most of it getting pushed into the fuse... I'll stick with the C pack motor... even the B pack motor is more fun than this thing IMHO... this will be a fun motor on a pusher or a narrower fuse plane me thinks...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I swore sp0nz had asked about posting how it worked out... maybe I'm crazy?...

anyway got it out today... yes it's fast... but it's also very slow... top speed especialy going down wind or in a dive is VERY VERY fast... but it's not quick... it has no grunt, and didn't like flying into the 10mph wind without a lot of throttle...

I attribute all of this to the small 6" prop and most of it getting pushed into the fuse... I'll stick with the C pack motor... even the B pack motor is more fun than this thing IMHO... this will be a fun motor on a pusher or a narrower fuse plane me thinks...

That's why we call it Flite TEST!