Bloody Wonder Earned its name

Fasted2629

Well last July 3, 2014 my girlfriend tells me she is gong to dinner with coworkers so I get the night to fly my planes. I have 3 planes and 7 batteries and a field charger. I did the math I could easily fly for 5 hours and have a blast doing it. I pack up and go to the field. I start flying with no issues wind is not bad and the day is perfect. Then it starts... My J3 Supercub just quits so I go to the bloody wonder and right back up. I landed kind of hard and bent a prop. I change batteries and prop but I notice a wobble in the prop I had never noticed before so I investigate. This is where it all goes south. I start adjusting my prop adaptor on the motor trying to straighten the wobble. I can't do that without the prop on so im being very careful. I am tapping the throttle to get the prop to spin looking for the high side of the wobble to try to fix it and it happens. I some how manage to give it to much throttle and the plans moved forward ad hits my hand before I can kill the throttle. I instinctively pull my hand back and then I feel the wetness of the Blood running through my fingers. I get up and run to my truck looking for a rag but I don't have anything but two McDonalds napkins I clean it off and look. It hit my right index finger and cut it to the bone. I will say it is definitely hard trying to pack up the truck with only one hand and trying to not bleed on everything. I was lucky the Pain was more than I expected but I was flying less than a mile from the ER. I got to spend the rest of my night sitting in the hospital getting stitched up. Lesson Learned....... Don't do any prop work like that with the prop attached without making sure the plane cant move...

BankNYank!

Mentor
That sounds like a good one! Where's the pictures!? Here's what happened when one of my planes went rabid and bit me on the arm. Sucks it had to ruin your evening of flying. :(

Last edited:

ViperTech

Sorry to hear that!
I hope you heal quickly!
Big reminder to all that read this, These are not "Toys" Like the Ladies at my church like to say "Oh, are you boy's going to play with you toy air planes again?"
This hobbie has some real dangers to it and like Fasted2629 said Lesson Learned!
Maybe we all should carry a First Aid kit as part of our flight boxes as well!

frogman

Been there done that but I was working on a large machine in my house. Got a little careless and whack....there goes the end of my finger. 11 stitches later in the emergency room (with no insurance) and I'm done. The prop was an 18" prop and the motor was the size of a soup can in width. A few days later I find what appears to be a piece of fingernail or toenail....it turns out it's the tip of my finger that got cut off. My right index finger is about 1/8" shorter than my left one and I have almost no feeling from the knuckle to the end. Now my props are always off when I work. If you care to see the awesomeness of my injury here is a link. I won't post the pic so those that don't care for the imagery wont be exposed to it. It was pretty bad. This was a few days later after the bandages had been removed. The first few times I got the bandages changed I had to go the urgent care to have them remove the gauze wrap as it was stuck to my finger from the oozing. They were very very gentle and kind with me.

Picture of my Oooweeee.